Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle for starting Center job could be decided vs 49'ers
As the Vikings approach their third preseason game, and likely give their starters their largest workload of the exhibition schedule, the battle for their starting center spot continues between Nick Easton and rookie Pat Elflein. Coach Mike Zimmersounded on Friday, though, like he expected the competition to reach its conclusion soon.
“[General Manager] Rick [Spielman] and I spent about an hour this morning, evaluating each guy there, going through all their tapes from the preseason practice and things like that,” Zimmer said...
Asked if he thought the position would be finalized after Sunday’s game against the 49ers, Zimmer said, “I hope so. I think I know how it’s going to go, but things change — injuries, or maybe a guy plays the way you expect him to play, or maybe a guy plays better.”
http://www.startribune.com/battle-for-vi...441789223/

NBC analyst Cris Collinsworth expects Pat Elflein to be Vikings’ starting center
If Vikings rookie Pat Elflein is not the starting center in Sunday night’s preseason game, NBC analyst Cris Collinsworth might express surprise.
With Elflein and Nick Easton batting for the job, whichever player gets the call against San Francisco at U.S. Bank Stadium figures to be the starter for the Sept. 11 regular-season opener against New Orleans.
“I think he’s going to (be the starter this season), in my opinion,’’ Collinsworth said of Elflein while watching practice Friday. “You draft somebody that high, he’s playing well, you probably play him.’’
Elflein was taken in the third round out of Ohio State. Collinsworth has been watching him on film and is very impressed.
“I think he has a chance to be a star,’’ Collinsworth said. “He can really run. He can get out on screens and pulls, and he can get to the second level, and he’s a physical guy. He was really fighting his tail off (in last week’s 20-13 preseason loss at Seattle).’’
http://www.twincities.com/2017/08/25/nbc...ng-center/

I almost hope Boone doesn't play tomorrow...  I'd like to see the combo of Elflein at C and Easton at LG one more time.