Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking News...Sort of
Vikings claim ex-Badgers, Eden Prairie linebacker Ryan Connelly off waiversThe New York Giants made the puzzling move to part with a promising fifth-round pick before his second NFL season, and the Vikings jumped on Eden Prairie native Ryan Connelly as waiver claims were processed on Sunday, according to the NFL transaction wire published by NFL Media.

Connelly, who had two interceptions in three starts as a Giants rookie linebacker, returns to Minnesota as the Vikings continue rotating linebacker depth. He was waived by the Giants ahead of Saturday’s deadline to set the initial 53-man roster. A corresponding move is needed by the Vikings to make room.
The moves will continue as the Vikings’ 16-man practice squad can be filled out on Sunday. None of Minnesota’s waived players were claimed over the weekend, so receiver Alexander Hollins and quarterbacks Jake Browning and Nate Stanley, among others, are expected to return on the practice squad.
Linebacker Ben Gedeon will miss at least the first six weeks of the season after being placed on the reserve/Physically Unable to Perform liston Saturday. Gedeon has not suited up since suffering two concussions last season
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-clai...572334982/

Makes sense signing...You gotta wonder if Gedeon is going to make it back?

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Makes sense signing...You gotta wonder if Gedeon is going to make it back?
i wouldnt if i was him. must be holding on to get paid a while longer while he figures out whats next 

I wouldn’t either. If he’s still struggling with the effects of the concussion I hope he chooses to retire and protect his health. 

Ex-Eden Prairie star Ryan Connelly calls it a ‘miracle’ Vikings claiming him off waivers from GiantsLinebacker Ryan Connelly has joined his hometown team, and he’s fired up

The Vikings on Sunday claimed the former Eden Prairie High School star off waivers a day after he was let go by the New York Giants. To make room on the roster, they waived linebacker Hardy Nickerson.
“I’m really excited,’’ Connelly said. “It’s not fun being let go, but I think everything happens for a reason and it’s definitely a miracle to be back in Minnesota.”
Connelly played in four games last season for the Giants, starting three. But on Sept. 29, 2019, he suffered a season-ending torn right ACL against Washington.
Connelly said his knee feels “great.’’ However, former All-Pro linebacker Carl Banks, a Giants television and radio analyst, said Sunday he was “a bit surprised” Connelly was waived Saturday, and it might have been related to his health.
“I just think him not being fully recovered from the knee (injury), their roster configuration just didn’t afford them the opportunity to keep him as an active player,” Banks said. “He wasn’t apprehensive at all (in training camp) but you could see he had a little ways to go in terms of just the feel for the game. And also in the scheme they are running here under (new defensive coordinator) Patrick Graham, it calls for a little more physicality.”
Connelly, a fifth-round pick in 2019 out of Wisconsin, had an impressive 20 tackles, two interceptions and one sack in his first four games before being injured. He’s not sure what his role will be yet with the Vikings.
“I just need to get in there and learn the playbook and starting getting to know the guys and the coaches,’’ Connelly said.
Connelly underwent coronavirus testing in Minnesota on Sunday and will again on Monday. He is hopeful of being able to practice as soon as Wednesday.
“It shouldn’t take too long just because I’ve been in the system,’’ he said.
Connelly didn’t know what to expect after being waived Saturday.
“It’s never fun to hear that,’’ he said. “But I just had to accept it and move on because you can’t dwell on the past.”
Banks, who played in the NFL from 1984-95 and won two Super Bowl rings with the Giants, expects Connelly will be able to help the Vikings when he is fully healthy.
“He certainly showed a really good skill set,” Banks said. “He knows how to find the football. I think if he were fully healthy, he’d still be on the Giants roster. He has the ability to get off blocks and not get swallowed up by blocks. The kid has a future in being a very productive linebacker in the NFL.”
The Vikings open the season Sunday against Green Bay at U.S. Bank Stadium. Connelly said with a laugh that he actually “grew up a Packers fan.’’
Nickerson made the team when the initial 53-man roster was set Saturday along with linebackers Anthony Barr, Eric Kendricks, Eric Wilson and rookie Troy Dye. Nickerson, the son of former NFL star linebacker Hardy Nickerson Sr., could be a candidate to be signed to Minnesota’s practice squad if he clears waivers.
Connelly helped lead Eden Prairie to state championships in 2011, 2012 and 2013 under coach Mike Grant, son of legendary Vikings coach Bud Grant. As a senior, he played quarterback as well as linebacker.
Connelly walked on at Wisconsin and redshirted in 2014. He got better each season and was honorable mention All-Big Ten in 2018.
“He’s a high-intelligence guy who recognizes things really well,’’ said Mike Grant. “He’s a hard worker. He just goes about his work. He’s always made plays, and that’s what you want out of somebody. Let’s hope he’s going to make those plays for the Vikings.”
Mike Grant said he saw plenty of Connelly during the summer before he reported to Giants training camp. He didn’t see any issues with his knee, which Connelly hurt while tackling Washington quarterback Dwayne Haskins.
“He worked out super hard all summer at Eden Prairie,” he said. “He looked ready to go. He was 100 percent. He looked good and quick.”
Connelly becomes the third player from Minnesota on the Vikings’ 53-man roster. The others are wide receiver Adam Thielen of Detroit Lakes and fullback C.J. Ham of Duluth.
https://www.twincities.com/2020/09/06/ex...om-giants/

Sounds like the Giants were hoping to sneak him on the practice squad....

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/...ice-squad/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/ryan-connelly

Probably a not bad poach for the Vikings at this point so near the start of the season. He's not a superstar but could be helpful as a heady backup.