Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we all agree that ANY CONGRESSIONAL MEMBER who benefited
Quote: @"pumpf" said:
Someone please tell me what you would do differently if you were in their shoes.
I don't think it's about what you would do differently as an individual, but rather how should we structure government to where they aren't put in that position in the first place, but it's also fair to them and their livelihood.
I don't think the index ETF is a bad idea for most politicians.  I don't think it would be fair to ask a business owner to dissolve their business to be a politician, nor do I think you could ask someone like Bloomberg or Trump to give control of their wealth to someone they don't trust (or that would have to be approved by the other political faction).

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
Someone please tell me what you would do differently if you were in their shoes.
@AGRforever “ If you enter politics you should be forced into some index ETFs managed by a bipartisan task force.”

Even if it is legal, it is immoral.  

If they were not in office - they would have lost like the rest of us. 

Hedge fund billionaire made 2 billion AFTER causing panic giving public advice.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"pumpf" said:
I don't think it's about what you would do differently as an individual, but rather how should we structure government to where they aren't put in that position in the first place, but it's also fair to them and their livelihood.
I don't think the index ETF is a bad idea for most politicians.  I don't think it would be fair to ask a business owner to dissolve their business to be a politician, nor do I think you could ask someone like Bloomberg or Trump to give control of their wealth to someone they don't trust (or that would have to be approved by the other political faction).
Exactly.  The system- as it is- is not right.  But, given the current situation, I don't know what people expected these folks to do.  I was hoping someone would have an actual answer to my question, so that I could join them in their righteous indignation.  I hate corruption as much as anyone.  But, from what I can tell, it's the system that's corrupt.  

Getting back to these 2 individuals, same question: what would anyone here have done differently if they were in their shoes (in this specific situation)?
It's easy to grab the pitchforks and torches... but I would hope that we can do better.

Here's an example of something that I would agree with y'all on: Burr's brother-in-law dumped stocks, too.  Although I can't fault Burr for taking advantage of the knowledge he had... I CAN fault him for sharing his intel with anyone else.  In this case, if he DID share "inside information", I'm all for him paying the full penalty of the law for it, whatever it might be.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020...crash.html