Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL draft guide: Each GM's best pick, top value pick, tendencies
Interesting read. You can compare Rick's drafting record vs other GM's around the league, and it's quite good actually.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001108562/article/nfl-draft-guide-each-gms-best-pick-top-value-pick-tendencies

Year hired: 2006 
Number of players drafted: 120 
List of Pro Bowlers: 16. LB Anthony Barr, QB Teddy Bridgewater, RB Dalvin Cook, LB Chad Greenway, DE Everson Griffen, WR Percy Harvin, DE Danielle Hunter, OT Matt Kalil, LB Eric Kendricks, WR Cordarrelle Patterson, RB Adrian Peterson, CB Xavier Rhodes, WR Sidney Rice, TE Kyle Rudolph, S Harrison Smith, K Blair Walsh.

BEST PICK: RB Adrian Peterson, 2007 (Round 1, No. 7 overall).
 A future Hall of Famer, Peterson was the best running back in the NFL for an extended period of time, and he's still playing well in his mid-30s. He's enjoyed a helluva career -- including winning the league MVP award in 2012, when he joined the 2,000-yard club -- as an extremely physical runner who often breaks long runs.

BEST VALUE PICK: DE Everson Griffen, 2010 (Round 4, No. 100).
 This was a tough choice between Griffen and Stefon Diggs, a fifth-round draft pick, but I went with the DE because he's a complete player. Coordinators had to routinely game plan to stop him as a pass rusher and vs. the run. The veteran has recorded eight-plus sacks in six of his 10 NFL seasons.

DEFINITIVE TRAIT/STYLE:
 Spielman and the Vikings take the best player available and stay true to their board. Though their drafts have favored the defense, that hasn't been by design with Mike Zimmer as head coach. Some of their best players drafted on defense were Smith, Griffen and Rhodes, who were all in Minnesota when Zimmer arrived. Examples of the Vikings taking the best player available over a team need? When they drafted TE Irv Smith despite already having Rudolph, and when they snagged CB Mike Hughes despite having Rhodes and Trae Waynes in tow.

Wonder if they are seeing this in the Garden state.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Wonder if they are seeing this in the Garden state.
Of course they are...I'm in the Garden State!

That's great but at some point you got to get to the big dance!

I ain't saying somebody needs to get fired but when can/should we expect to get there?

I have seen all 4 Super Bowl losses with the Raiders loss particularly painful as I was 15 years old at the time.

Trust the Process?

Not any longer.

There isn't a GM on the list with more pro bowlers per years in the job than Spielman. They're wrong about BPA though. Biggest myth in sports.