Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings To Talk Cook Extension After Free Agency

• St. Paul Pioneer Press' Chris Tomasson reports the Vikings "have had some talks about a possible contract extension for RB Dalvin Cook."Tomasson added that his source expects those talks to ramp up after the Vikings get through free agency. Cook is entering the last year of his rookie deal. He was magnificent in 2019, posting 250-1,135-13 rushing and 53-519-0 receiving lines as the focal point of the league's eighth-ranked scoring offense. Still, Cook has played in just 29-of-48 regular season games since being drafted in the second round of the 2017 draft. He's undoubtedly one of the top RBs in the league when healthy, but we've seen how paying the position top dollar usually works out.
    SOURCE: Chris Tomasson on TwitterMar 17, 2020, 1:23 PM ET
I think that conversation goes something like this:

"There's no money left, but let's talk next year after you start all 16 games"

I would guess it goes like this:

Rick: I gave Adrian Peterson a huge deal that hamstrung us, I don't see why we can't do the same for you!
Mike: I hope you sign cuz afterwards we ain't spendin' any more dough on offense.  Defense all the way baby.  Did you see that super high priced defense of mine last year, huh, did you?
Zygmunt: I gave these two carte blanche to do whatever for the rest of their lives.   Did I tell you I really care about winning, did I mention that?   Your extensions are ready for signing fellers!

• [Image: Arizona-Cardinals.png]
    Cardinals re-signed RB Kenyan Drake to a one-year, $8.483 million contract. Drake is no longer eligible to sign an offer sheet with another team. Drake was believed to be gunning for as much as $10 million annually on a multi-year deal, but the reality is, $8.5 million for one season is a great outcome for a running back in 2020. With David Johnson unloaded to the Texans — in exchange for DeAndre Hopkins, lol — Drake's 2019 stranglehold on lead-back duties will carry over to the new year. Running in a high-octane, well-designed rushing attack, three-down talent Drake will definitely be in the RB1 mix.   
    SOURCE: Adam Schefter on TwitterMar 26, 2020, 2:02 PM ET

Drake and Gordon getting similar money...I'm thinking Cook for 3 years and $25-26 million sounds doable...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Drake and Gordon getting similar money...I'm thinking Cook for 3 years and $25-26 million sounds doable...
As much as I'm against giving a RB huge money... I think he's worth significantly more than those 2.  Now, I'm not saying we should pay it... but Cook has to be worth at least $9M, if those guys are worth more than $8M.  If we could put clauses in his contract regarding injuries, playing time, etc... THEN we should be willing to pay him $9-10M.  But that's if he reaches all his incentives.  If not, then something more in the $5-6M range (which would be guaranteed to him at signing, even if he does get hurt).

Cook has played in just 29-of-48 regular season games since being drafted in the second round of the 2017 draft.

Not sure how the Vikings can look past this stat. 

Yep.  You had to know that these buffoons restructured Hunter for a reason. 
May as well waste it on a running back. 
Recent contracts given out to running backs should have no bearing.