Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shamar Stephen needs to go
Right now, he is counting about 5 million against the cap.  If we cut him, we can save 2.3 million on the cap.  While his dead money is about 2.6, which hurts, his play last year was bad.  I know that he is supposed to eat blockers to free up linebackers, but he didn’t do that well last year.  I know if we cut him, we’d be looking at 2 new starting defensive tackles, but I’m not so sure that’s a bad thing.

I think a combo of Watts and Johnson gets you a better pass rush and a slight downgrade in the run game. Now, if we can get a 3T @#58 and a NT in the 4th, we have a nice rotation, especially if someone lights a fire under Holmes.

There's been some talk about how "different" things are going to be next season. Having a new defensive line outside Hunter is certainly going to change our defense.

Quote: @Studvike84 said:
  I know that he is supposed to eat blockers to free up linebackers, but he didn’t do that well last year. 
   How did Kendricks make 1st team ALL-PRO if LJ and Stephens didn't play well?

Not sure who said LJ didn’t play well - maybe that was a different thread?  Regarding Stephen, he had his lowest rated season (61.2) according to PFF.  He also had the lowest amount of tackles (21) of his career (except when he was hurt and went on IR in his second year with the Vikes.)  There were many reasons why Kendricks was all-pro, most notably his coverage skills.  Was there something that impressed you about Stephens’ play this year, Matty?  Do you think he is worth his 5 million dollar price tag?