Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't discount Udoh and Samia
A lot of people have come to the conclusion that Samia must not have been very good because he couldn't unseat Elflein, who was obviously having a horrible season. One thing to consider is that while Elflein was brutally bad in pass pro, he was the PFF's 15th ranked guard (out of 80) in run blocking. That's top 1/5. So while Samia might have been a better pass blocker--Samia didn't allow a sack on 410 drops at OU in 2018--if you take out Elflein, you'd probably be sacrificing a significant part of the running game. 

Also remember that Mike Zimmer staffs are well known for their incumbency bias. Brian O'Neill didn't beat out Rashod Hill. It took a Reiff injury (moving Rashod Hill to the left ) in week 6 before O'Neill got his chance at right tackle. He was a revelation. But it makes you wonder if he even would've gotten the chance at all without the injury. 

Same with Diggs. It took injuries to both Charles Johnson and Jarius Wright before Stefon Diggs was even made active. Over the next 4 games he had over 400 yards and 2 TDs. 

Don't discount either of them but don't count solely on them either. I'd like to see a high round draft pick and another Kline type of signing. Jones + McGovern. Peters + Muti. Becton + Cushenberry.

Ideally, Udoh replaces Hill as a cheaper swing Tackle with more upside and Samia is in a dogfight with Kline at RG while the Draft and Free Agency shore up the left side. And Bradbury hits the weight room and discovers how to turn into the Super Saiyan I know he's capable of becoming. 

Hopefully they develop further and fit in the OL scheme!!  Would be awesome but not something to count on.  We've certainly had many second and third stringers that never progressed to starting positions.  Could be future starters or could be two/three years and done in the NFL...

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
Don't discount either of them but don't count solely on them either. I'd like to see a high round draft pick and another Kline type of signing. Jones + McGovern. Peters + Muti. Becton + Cushenberry.

Ideally, Udoh replaces Hill as a cheaper swing Tackle with more upside and Samia is in a dogfight with Kline at RG while the Draft and Free Agency shore up the left side. And Bradbury hits the weight room and discovers how to turn into the Super Saiyan I know he's capable of becoming. 
If Bradbury becomes a Super Saiyan, does that mean he will snap a dragon ball instead of a football? Asking for a friend. 

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
This. I'd temper any real projections for these guys yet to the positive as I'm not sure what they've got. Keep plugging the pipeline and a higher pick spent on the O-line would be welcomed.