Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, You Say He's A Cornerback Whisperer
I think the till is going to be pretty empty after we sign our own guys and leave space for the draft. IMO, even a Tier 2 FA is out of our price range.

In my mock, I address LT, NT, and add two CBs that would fit the man-zone, zone-man, off coverage that Zim likes to deploy.

FA is going to be several lumps of  coal, if that.  

Kinlaw would be the fastest way to fix the D, but we need to be probably in the teens for that to happen. A guy like Futo in the second seems more likely. Adding 700 lbs of mobile talent in the first two picks changes my outlook for 2020

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
At minimum we have 4 new starters on D, which could balloon to 7 pretty quickly...Shamar is a one dimensional 3T, so he could not the road...Big Goon isn't Big Goon anymore...Rhodes is a foregone conclusion IMO and so is Waynes...I sacrifice both those guys to keep Any Man ™ and Mac...Odenijbo takes over for EG...Watts and Jaleel on the interior...

Since Shamar is primarily a run-stuffer, why doesn't he slide to NT? Seems that would be a solid way to reinforce Joseph.
So, Zimmer is a CB Whisperer but needs high draft pick talent level, and even then some don't ever blossom (Waynes). We can find DEs almost at will (though that might be Spielman's specialty as he was effective in doing so prior to Zimmer), but can't seem to develop a DT despite repeated tries (Jaleel Johnson, Datone Jones, Jalyn Holmes, Armon Watts).
Lots of holes in a supposedly great defense.

If the surgeon who fucked up Floyd's knee was on the golf course that day, this is a different conversation...

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
At minimum we have 4 new starters on D, which could balloon to 7 pretty quickly...Shamar is a one dimensional 3T, so he could not the road...Big Goon isn't Big Goon anymore...Rhodes is a foregone conclusion IMO and so is Waynes...I sacrifice both those guys to keep Any Man ™ and Mac...Odenijbo takes over for EG...Watts and Jaleel on the interior...

Since Shamar is primarily a run-stuffer, why doesn't he slide to NT? Seems that would be a solid way to reinforce Joseph.
So, Zimmer is a CB Whisperer but needs high draft pick talent level, and even then some don't ever blossom (Waynes). We can find DEs almost at will (though that might be Spielman's specialty as he was effective in doing so prior to Zimmer), but can't seem to develop a DT despite repeated tries (Jaleel Johnson, Datone Jones, Jalyn Holmes, Armon Watts).
Lots of holes in a supposedly great defense.
Who's to say Johnson or Watts are busts? Jaleel wasn't the 3T but he's been more than serviceable as a backup NT. Watts was a late round Rookie who flashed in limited reps this season. He could very well be the answer at 3T next year, though no reputable GM would risk this team's window on it. Also, Linval Joseph was not considered a Tier 1 FA when Minnesota wisely scooped him up. As many misses as hits on the interior of the D-Line but you can't say they haven't had any success.

I am intrigued by your NT solution. Johnson starting with Shamar spelling him has merit, IMO.

And Zimmer should be forced to go veteran FA at CB. You're right about Waynes not developing. Jury is still out on Hughes. Alexander was good though miscast as a Slot CB, IMO. Not enough consistent production for the investment.

If I'm Rick I tell Mike to go shopping for his next Terrance Newman or Pac-Man Jones while I work with Brez to try and keep Mac. Zimmer has had all the draft capital in the world to get what he wanted at CB and frankly hasn't earned the right to spend any more.