Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How's everyone feel about Bear's starting QB Caleb Williams?
Has some serious physical skills. Some NFL GM called him a 'supercharged Donovan McNabb'. Others say he's more Patrick Mahomes-like. Will be interesting to watch his development and see what happens. Would a team rather have him or Anthony Richardson? I think you have to rein in William's 'hero ball' mentality because at USC, he did a lot of that and in the pros, he'll miss the easy completions. 

A guy like Brock Purdy can still exist and thrive, but that is more the unicorn than the current crop of QBs under 29 years old. Actually, I'd say a guy like Kirk Cousins you probably won't see again....Purdy has some mobility at least. Defensive players today are just so athletic compared to 25 years ago en masse.

I don't think he will be near as good a pro as many make him out to be. I don't see a long or successful career.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

He has some skills sure, but he also has some things will be obsticles to success. To start his height... very few 6 ft QBs have ever been successfull in the NFL so we can start there. Also he has some bad habits that really showed up last year when he played against good defenses. All that said, he has about the same chance as any QB taken early... slightly better then 50 - 50 to be a decent QB and about a 20% chance of being a quality NFL QB starting QB.

In the NFL I truely believe that the team around you has a ton to do with success or failure of young QBs.

1. Fran Tarkenton, 6-0.
2. Drew Brees, 6-0,
3. Russell Wilson, 5-11.
4. Sonny Jurgensen, 5-11.
5. Len Dawson, 6-0.
6. Joe Theismann, 6-0.
7. Michael Vick, 6-0.
8. Eddie LeBaron, 5-7. 1950s and 60s
9. Billy Kilmer, 6-0.
10. Doug Flutie, 5-10.

So the list of 6 foot QBs does have some great QBs on it, there overall success is rather small (2 SBs in last 20 years) it just puts them at a disadvantage that has to be overcome. It is part of the problems that Mullens and Hall need to overcome when they step foot on the field. At 6ft 7/8in he will start with big players in his field of vission.
People sleep peacably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rf54's post:

I think Poles has been relatively smart regarding the surround for Williams. Getting him and Odunze in one fell swoop could literally be cornerstones for their offense the next 5+ years.

I think Williams ceiling is super high - whether he reaches that we'll see along with JJ, Nix etc...

This will be a fascinating gaggle of QB's to watch develop the next 3 seasons. Not sure who the gems are yet.

There's no doubt about it, Chicago's going to be scary. Caleb will be a big reason why. He's going to single-handedly win them some games this year. But even at his best, he has ball security issues. I think we'll see a lot of that early in his career.

(05-15-2024, 06:23 AM)rf54 Wrote: 1. Fran Tarkenton, 6-0.
2. Drew Brees, 6-0,
3. Russell Wilson, 5-11.
5. Len Dawson, 6-0.
6. Joe Theismann, 6-0.
7. Michael Vick, 6-0.
9. Billy Kilmer, 6-0.
10. Doug Flutie, 5-10.
I think you forgot Kyler Murray who is about 5-10 in cleats.

Some of the guys on this list had a career because they could scramble to buy time and find open guys they couldn't see when they were standing behind linemen who were several inches taller than they were.

Williams can certainly run around back there. Watching his college stuff I was reminded of none other than Fran the Man.

But I don't have a prediction on how he'll be as a pro.

Best way you try and control a Caleb Williams is to draft a Dallas Turner...

(05-15-2024, 06:23 AM)rf54 Wrote: He has some skills sure, but he also has some things will be obsticles to success.  To start his height...  very few 6 ft QBs have ever been successfull in the NFL so we can start there.  Also he has some bad habits that really showed up last year when he played against good defenses.  All that said, he has about the same chance as any QB taken early... slightly better then 50 - 50 to be a decent QB and about a 20% chance of being a quality NFL QB starting QB. 

In the NFL I truely believe that the team around you has a ton to do with success or failure of young QBs. 

1. Fran Tarkenton, 6-0.
2. Drew Brees, 6-0,
3. Russell Wilson, 5-11.
5. Len Dawson, 6-0.
6. Joe Theismann, 6-0.
7. Michael Vick, 6-0.
9. Billy Kilmer, 6-0.
10. Doug Flutie, 5-10.

So the list of 6 foot QBs does have some great QBs on it, there overall success is rather small (2 SBs in last 20 years) it just puts them at a disadvantage that has to be overcome.  It is part of the problems that Mullens and Hall need to overcome when they step foot on the field.  At 6ft 7/8in he will start with big players in his field of vission.

Except Williams is taller than all those guys at 6-1.

He is a superstar, may be the most skilled college player I have ever seen. I usually felt like I was watching Mahomes when watching him. Only QB I have seen routinely make the throws that usually only see Mahomes make. He had an awful OL and an even worse defense, which put him in a position to have to score every time he got on the field, so he typically had to play as if was the last drive of the game. So bummed the Bears got him along with my favorite college WR, who I thought was actually underrated going into the draft.

(05-15-2024, 06:23 AM)rf54 Wrote: He has some skills sure, but he also has some things will be obsticles to success.  To start his height...  very few 6 ft QBs have ever been successfull in the NFL so we can start there.  Also he has some bad habits that really showed up last year when he played against good defenses.  All that said, he has about the same chance as any QB taken early... slightly better then 50 - 50 to be a decent QB and about a 20% chance of being a quality NFL QB starting QB. 

1. Fran Tarkenton, 6-0.
2. Drew Brees, 6-0,
3. Russell Wilson, 5-11.
5. Len Dawson, 6-0.
6. Joe Theismann, 6-0.
7. Michael Vick, 6-0.
9. Billy Kilmer, 6-0.
10. Doug Flutie, 5-10.

So the list of 6 foot QBs does have some great QBs on it, there overall success is rather small (2 SBs in last 20 years) it just puts them at a disadvantage that has to be overcome.  It is part of the problems that Mullens and Hall need to overcome when they step foot on the field.  At 6ft 7/8in he will start with big players in his field of vission.

add Bryce Young at 5' 10".

And for the record, I think Caleb Williams is going to do quite well overall in Chicago. He's been in the spotlight at USC for more than two full seasons. Big numbers in 2022 got him the Heisman. Weak defense cost him some games last season, causing some emotional meltdowns. I think he is emotionally strong when everything goes his way, but think he might crumble when (not if) he has a bad game(s).