Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Beginning of the End
Lions give Goff a bajillion dollars. 

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1790119575582917024

Damn, that's a lot of money for a mediocre QB... Have a feeling Detroit will have some buyers remorse before the end of that contract.

Vikings window starts next year. This is a big year for Detroit. Jordan Love is going to get paid as well soon. The NFCN could be a premier QB division in 2025 and beyond.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Highest paid QBs in the NFL on a per-year basis:

?Joe Burrow: $55M
?Jared Goff: $53M
?Justin Herbert: $52.5M
?Lamar Jackson: $52M
?Jalen Hurts: $51M

Man, I just dont see Goff at that Burrow/Mahomes/Allen level..

Tick below - but you can win with him no doubt.

(05-13-2024, 05:20 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: Man, I just dont see Goff at that Burrow/Mahomes/Allen level..

Or Herbert level either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 1VikesFan's post:

With this extension plus the Amon-Ra St. Brown and Sewell deals, Detroit has a 2-year window before their cap explodes.

Can't say Goff doesn't deserve it production-wise.

(05-13-2024, 05:20 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: Man, I just dont see Goff at that Burrow/Mahomes/Allen level..

No, he's not quite on that level, but I think contracts are more about timing than talent. Is Goff above the win/can't win threshold? Definitely. So you have to pay him market or you lose him. I don't think there was ever any question they would give him the bag.  

Does seem like they could've slotted him in somewhere in the top 5 or 6 (instead of 2nd) and still gotten a deal done though. But I think this might be the 1st QB contract signed under the expanded cap. Without the additional cap, this deal might actually rank where it belongs.

Detroit added some nice pieces in the draft and they damn near won on the road @ SF in the playoffs....Their org has done a nice job with that franchise.

Hard to hate on the Lions or their fans.