Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paradise Burned
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"Vanguard83" said:
tourism is the life blood here.  yeah, some recovery time is needed, but tourists need to come to Hawaii / Maui.  so many jobs rely on our guests.  Yeah - go ahead and chase them away, but when you cant pay the mortgage because there are no jobs left - youve just cut your own throat.

Three neighbors of ours own businesses that were destroyed on Front St. - All three have expressed how important it is for tourism to return
Yep, tourists are definitely getting mixed messages. And some Maui businesses are already laying people off and have seen massive reductions in sales. Sad. What is so typical is overreaction.....and this overreaction is going to cost Maui businesses big time unfortunately.

This won't help moving forward either: https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/21/us/hawaii...index.html

Massive reduction in sales is an understatement. I think you're maybe referring to the businesses and resorts surrounding Lahaina who were unaffected by the fire itself? Sounds like they're seeing a near dead stop in travel business. But many of those are owned by corporations and will eventually be fine. Hopefully the locals who work there can get some assistance until tourism comes back.  

But the small businesses on and around Front Street in Lahaina--hundreds of surf shops, galleries and restaurants--those are just gone. I don't know what those people are going to do. 

@"Vanguard83" said:
tourism is the life blood here.  yeah, some recovery time is needed, but tourists need to come to Hawaii / Maui.  so many jobs rely on our guests.  Yeah - go ahead and chase them away, but when you cant pay the mortgage because there are no jobs left - youve just cut your own throat.

Three neighbors of ours own businesses that were destroyed on Front St. - All three have expressed how important it is for tourism to return
Yep, tourists are definitely getting mixed messages. And some Maui businesses are already laying people off and have seen massive reductions in sales. Sad. What is so typical is overreaction.....and this overreaction is going to cost Maui businesses big time unfortunately.

This won't help moving forward either: https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/21/us/hawaii...index.html

Hawaii has been sending mixed messages to tourists for quite a while IIRC.  Native islanders tell the tourist to GTFO,  while those with businesses are wanting tourism,  wasn't to long ago one of our Hawaiian posters sent a link to a campaign by the state pleading with the locals to be nice to the tourists.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Vanguard83" said:

Hawaii has been sending mixed messages to tourists for quite a while IIRC.  Native islanders tell the tourist to GTFO,  while those with businesses are wanting tourism,  wasn't to long ago one of our Hawaiian posters sent a link to a campaign by the state pleading with the locals to be nice to the tourists.
Agreed. 

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Vanguard83" said:

Agreed. 
Its sad,  but I get where the natives are coming from.  So many in today's society expects everyone to be so gracious and grateful simply  for their existence. There have always been those snobby fuckers that think everyone is below them,   but living and working around tourist destinations,   I think simply the act of going on vacation brings that out in so many more people.  I would imagine Hawaii is that much worse for assholes expecting the royal treatment because of it being such a yearned for destination for so many,  and it being such a small area.   

Also the ties between the native locals and their land and places of historic and religious value,  tourists are so often disrespectful to sensitive areas,  the disdain is understood.

in other news.  I read today that the Maui Chief of Police is the same guy that was Incident Commander for the mass shooting in Vegas a few years back... talk about rotten fucking luck, how would like to have those two things on your resume?

in other news.  I read today that the Maui Chief of Police is the same guy that was Incident Commander for the mass shooting in Vegas a few years back... talk about rotten fucking luck, how would like to have those two things on your resume?
Vegas then Maui...

Something tells me I dont have to worry about that Karma transplanting himself in MN next. 

@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Vanguard83" said:

Agreed. 
Its sad,  but I get where the natives are coming from.  So many in today's society expects everyone to be so gracious and grateful simply  for their existence. There have always been those snobby fuckers that think everyone is below them,   but living and working around tourist destinations,   I think simply the act of going on vacation brings that out in so many more people.  I would imagine Hawaii is that much worse for assholes expecting the royal treatment because of it being such a yearned for destination for so many,  and it being such a small area.   

Also the ties between the native locals and their land and places of historic and religious value,  tourists are so often disrespectful to sensitive areas,  the disdain is understood.
My BIL (may he RIP) was stationed @ Pearl for 20+ years. Met his bride from Okinawa there, raised 2 boys. 

Accurate to say they felt unwelcome most of the time, kids that weren't native (didnt look native) had a hard time assimilating.

I'm not saying this to post something negative about the locals, but this underscores just how complex (and multi-faceted) the non-native dynamics are there.

Been that way for decades. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Vanguard83" said:

Agreed. 

My BIL (may he RIP) was stationed @ Pearl for 20+ years. Met his bride from Okinawa there, raised 2 boys. 

Accurate to say they felt unwelcome most of the time, kids that weren't native (didnt look native) had a hard time assimilating.

I'm not saying this to post something negative about the locals, but this underscores just how complex (and multi-faceted) the non-native dynamics are there.

Been that way for decades. 

i had friends in HS that their dad had just retired from the military, they spent their first 15 years of life in Okinawa and they said pretty much the same thing,  they werent made to feel very welcome by the locals.  ( however they were able to be extras in some Godzilla movie that was made over there in the early 80s, so they had fame going for them).  I have my doubts that any place is very welcoming to outsiders,  especially kids,  but something like the islands to the native Hawaiians seems like it would be akin to certain areas to our main land Native Indian tribes,  those peoples were truly one with their land,  I can respect that,  although once its been lost to either conquering peoples or commercialization,  its kind of hard to over look the economics of the situation.

We vacationed in Hawaii two / three times every year - for 20 years - each trip a different island.  Never in those 20 years / or in the four years living here, have we had an issue / trouble with the Hawaiian, Tongan, Samoan, filipino, Marshallese here.  

The problem isnt the locals, its the “Orange County CA” sense of entitlement and privilege.
This is NOT DISNEYLAND.  There are no seatbelts, or safety restraints.  when you hike the muddy slopes of NaPali - and trip and fall, NEWSFLASH - its your own damn fault, not the hotel.  When you get slammed by a wave at Makena, or cant swim out of the rip, because you have no real concept of the power of the ocean, dont blame the lifeguard who saved your ass.  When you disturb a monk seal cub, or HAVE to get that picture with a sleeping turtle, or decide to take lava rock or coral home, maybe you can start to understand some of the resentment SOME locals have - this is peoples home, not an amusement park. Be kind and respectful of the culture, and thats what youll get back.

Leave only footprints, take only memories.

It takes you six hours to get here - then you Hurry to baggage, hurry to car rental, hurry to Costco, Hurry to the hotel, hurry to unpack...hurry to find a chaise at the pool.....hurry to relax...hurry to dinner.....

Pump the brakes folks. yes, getting a rental car takes time, CHILL the F out.
Youre here now, leave that hurried pace back on the mainland. Here at sunset everything stops - and for 20 to 30 minutes, just take it in. F your facebook posts, and breathe a while.

Here, you are expected to share, Aloha, your home, your food, your company.  Its not about the car you drive, An M3 here is useless, youll get stuck and a local with a Toyota Taco will invariably help you out.  Possessions are irrelevant - “time with your ohana” is more important than money or possessions.  TIME gang.  When you take your last breathe, do you want another Porsche, or more time with those you love?  different set of priorities here.

Respect the Aina when you are here, and do whats right “Pono” - understand that the land WAS stolen, (albeit generations ago) beautiful Waikiki, now looks like Las Vegas, and Honolulu like Los Angeles, once pristine areas now serve military purposes - Pearl Harbor, Kaneohe Bay etc. Kids run around Punch bowl cemetery of the Pacific and the Arizona playing “slap and tickle”, lean over the edge and spit into the water. People dont remove their hats any more. Its a memorial people - keep your eye on the ball here.

We want you to visit, unwind, breathe and enjoy - take your foot off the gas pedal, and relax.
but approach the islands almost like a foreign country - show some respect. youll get it back