Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Aren't you glad this didn't go down like this?
I'm still in shock we were able to land both McCarthy AND Turner while retaining our 1st round pick next year. I would have to think the likelihood of this happening before the draft was probably somewhere around 2% to 3%, almost an impossibility. So taking nothing else out of it, that was a massive win. We needed QBOTF and an impact position player...check, check. I thought Turner was the best defender in the draft and McCarthy was the preference for us as maybe the highest upside quarterback in the draft. I just have a very difficult time seeing McCarthy not be successful. He is just wired right and built for this. Even as a young player, this stage is not going to be too big for him and I think it's a huge benefit for him being coached up by Harbaugh and now KOC.
[-] The following 2 users Like supafreak84's post:

(05-14-2024, 11:38 AM)supafreak84 Wrote: I'm still in shock we were able to land both McCarthy AND Turner while retaining our 1st round pick next year. I would have to think the likelihood of this happening before the draft was probably somewhere around 2% to 3%, almost an impossibility. So taking nothing else out of it, that was a massive win.

Wish I remembered where I read it, but some draft simulator had only a 3% chance just for Turner lasting to 17. Throw in McCarthy dropping to 10 and we might be under 1%.
[-] The following 2 users Like RS_Express's post:

(05-14-2024, 11:53 PM)RS_Express Wrote: Wish I remembered where I read it, but some draft simulator had only a 3% chance just for Turner lasting to 17. Throw in McCarthy dropping to 10 and we might be under 1%.

I was going to say 3% was generous. Probably .5% is more like it.

The fact that we are still rehashing this first round draft outcome weeks AFTER the draft tells me how transformative and important the hype and ballyhoo surrounding the annual NFL draft. Certainly the NFL and sports media have overhyped it to ad nauseum (another mock draft anyone?), but when things fall this way (or flail in ineptitude with the Vikings draft from two years ago), it helps fill that void for avid NFL fans from the Super Bowl til Training Camp...next step? Eliminate the third pre-season waste (game) and add an 18th game that matters, while bumping the roster to 55 (to allow for injuries).

(05-19-2024, 11:24 AM)Montana Tom Wrote: The fact that we are still rehashing this first round draft outcome weeks AFTER the draft tells me how transformative and important the hype and ballyhoo surrounding the annual NFL draft.  Certainly the NFL and sports media have overhyped it to ad nauseum (another mock draft anyone?), but when things fall this way (or flail in ineptitude with the Vikings draft from two years ago), it helps fill that void for avid NFL fans from the Super Bowl til Training Camp...next step?  Eliminate the third pre-season waste (game) and add an 18th game that matters, while bumping the roster to 55 (to allow for injuries).

QB and Edge; dont get much more important than that. 

For me, this is really the first big step in moving on from RS/MZ to KAM/KOC

Add to that, we're talking a rare pick in the top 10? And its not a surprise there is still buzz

That buzz will grow with all the camps coming-up and with the vets weighing-in. 

Only thing that will rival the rookie talk will be JJ extension (or lack of).

(05-19-2024, 11:24 AM)Montana Tom Wrote: The fact that we are still rehashing this first round draft outcome weeks AFTER the draft tells me how transformative and important the hype and ballyhoo surrounding the annual NFL draft.  Certainly the NFL and sports media have overhyped it to ad nauseum (another mock draft anyone?), but when things fall this way (or flail in ineptitude with the Vikings draft from two years ago), it helps fill that void for avid NFL fans from the Super Bowl til Training Camp...next step?  Eliminate the third pre-season waste (game) and add an 18th game that matters, while bumping the roster to 55 (to allow for injuries).

The hype revolves around 6 QBs being taken in the first 12 picks. Has it ever happened? The Draft is always a huge event, but QBs are the faces of the NFL. They are the beacons of hope for fanbases.