Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kwesi speaks to Jefferson extension
(04-29-2024, 08:21 AM)Waterboy Wrote: Cousins was not EVER going to "mentor" his successor with his contract situation. lol  

I love the types that just argue to pay everybody everything they ask for.  It's not a good way to do business.

One other thing, I don't buy that the Jags and/or Texans called the Vikes out of the blue.  I'm pretty sure those kinds of calls take place when some foundational work had already been laid.

No one is saying to pay them what they are asking.  I just think this is another lesson Kwesi needs to learn as a first time GM.  He made a great trade for Hockenson, but then it took into training camp to get his deal done.  Why trade for him if you weren't going to extend him after seeing him produce like a top 3 TE?  Then Engram and Kmet both got paid because we were dragging out our negotiations and it took even longer to get Hocks deal done.

Same thing is happening with JJ...  Could have done it last off-season, but reportedly there was a hang up over some last minute terms and we tabled it instead of trying to get it over the finish line.  Now negotiations have taken months to get done, two top 10 WRs have signed extensions and it just makes a new starting point for JJ's dollars to start and end in terms of guarantees, total money, term, etc.

I like what Kwesi's done in the past two drafts and FA this year.  He's definitely improved since that first disastrous draft.  But this is another thing he needs to learn from.  Sometimes numbers are just numbers and you can't always work them completely in your favor.  And in JJ's case, he's a no brainer guy you want to keep because he just makes your whole team better.  Figure it out.

what I had heard was a signing b4 last years TB game was imminent. But JJ/Agent said not yet...

He wanted to see what others were going to get first. Now they saw it and he's going to benefit from it financially.

I dont think you are wrong Wet, and Kwesi does need to learn more of the art. But I do contend this was not all on him.

Hopefully we're all celebrating a contract b4 Training Camp.

With Wilkins it's rare to find a proven player that good, that young, who is not only available (that's the biggy, most players like that are resigned by their teams), but who also fills a big need, and for whom there was mutual interest. 

I don't know what the details of the negotiations were, but sometimes it's better to overpay a little, knowing you have future headroom, to secure a key position. I don't see a Wilkins among the free agent DTs next year; maybe one will emerge. If not, it's now likely priority 1 for the '25 draft.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

(04-29-2024, 08:21 AM)Waterboy Wrote: Cousins was not EVER going to "mentor" his successor with his contract situation. lol  

I love the types that just argue to pay everybody everything they ask for.  It's not a good way to do business.

One other thing, I don't buy that the Jags and/or Texans called the Vikes out of the blue.  I'm pretty sure those kinds of calls take place when some foundational work had already been laid.

well somebody had to initiate the talks, and its reported it wasnt initiated by KAMs office, so in essence it wasnt his idea to make those trades, it was just a good idea that ended up working in his favor.

One overlooked item in the Justin Jefferson contract situation is that JJ McCarthy and Jets have the same agent — Brian Ayrault. That's got to help.