Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Observation regarding Republican debate
Please resist flaming little o' democrat me; I thought I would just give you my thoughts:
  • Debate:  I thought the moderators did a better job farther into the debate but they should really be able to turn off people's microphones.  Let each person have their allotted time and then cut them off.  The politicians will never agree to that.
  • Desantis:  I thought he was the most politician on the stage -- he refused to raise or not raise his hand on one question that he didn't like; yet raised his hand on other questions.  I thought he tied himself in knots trying to avoid direct questions also.
  • Pence:  I don't like Pence or most of his positions but I thought he did well and he is very principled.  You know his positions are firmly growing out of his religious beliefs.  Though I don't agree, I respect that.
  • Ramaswamy:  When he said climate change is a hoax, he lost me.  Also, he kept trying to channel other people (such as Obama) and tired to make himself out like Tim Scott as having growing up in a poor household.  As I understand it, his mother was a physician and his father an engineer and then a patent attorney for General Electric.
  • Burgum:  Again, I like the fact I understand his principles and that he is consistent with them even if they may be unpopular.  His constitutional argument that abortion should be decided by the states is the type of argument I expect from traditional Republicans (a dying breed).
  • Haley:  Though I don't agree with many of her positions, I respect the reasoning behind them. She is right on abortion that a national ban of whatever length is not likely to pass, so why beat that dead horse when abortion is a weak issue for Republicans.  Also agree with her on Russia.  I find it very strange how a big portion of the Republican party (in reputation, if not observation) have become pro-Russia.
  • Scott:  Was he raised by a single mother?  Just wondering.
  • Christie:  Not running to be president, running to save the Republican party.

not sure about the timeline for his  folks,  but his dad became a lawyer while Vivek was growing up,  he talks of having to go to his dads night school classes with him because his mother had to be with his brother or something else.  I dont know that he grew up in a cardboard box,  but I doubt he had the silver spoons upbringing that his parents later careers might suggest on the surface.

Climate change is a a sort of hoax. I think its fairly obvious that the planet is warming. Its also fairly obvious that its been doing it since the last ice age.

Everyone want less fosil fuels but not at their own expense. Theres constant memes about how if the top 100 companies did xyz then abc would happen. Who the hell do you think those 100 companies sell their products to?

Theres very few people out there willing to use a bicycle as their only transportation and turn off their AC/Heat. 

also,  who are these republicans that are pro russia?  I havent heard anybody in a very conservative part of the country say anything pro russia,  i have heard most of us say get the fuck out of the shit between russia and the ukraine,  but that in no way is support for russia,  its just a matter of us being somewhere we dont belong once again, and for reasons that are not being portrayed truthfully. ( even Robert Kennedy calls bullshit on the line that we are involved to protect the innocents of the Ukraine )

Not surprisingly, my take is quite different.
  • Debate:  I thought the moderators did a better job farther into the debate but they should really be able to turn off people's microphones.  Let each person have their allotted time and then cut them off.  The politicians will never agree to that. After the second ding, yes.  And when they interject themselves everywhere.
  • Desantis:  I thought he was the most politician on the stage -- he refused to raise or not raise his hand on one question that he didn't like; yet raised his hand on other questions.  I thought he tied himself in knots trying to avoid direct questions also. Not a fan.  He seemed bouncy and looking for a sound bite.
  • Pence:  I don't like Pence or most of his positions but I thought he did well and he is very principled.  You know his positions are firmly growing out of his religious beliefs.  Though I don't agree, I respect that. A stodgy leftover of the forever war party.  
  • Ramaswamy:  When he said climate change is a hoax, he lost me.  Also, he kept trying to channel other people (such as Obama) and tired to make himself out like Tim Scott as having growing up in a poor household.  As I understand it, his mother was a physician and his father an engineer and then a patent attorney for General Electric. Not sure the Obama ripoff was a good look, but he was the only one that stood out from the GOP talking points.  He has actual ideas rather than sound bites.  I don't think the debate was his best effort at communicating them tho.
  • Burgum:  Again, I like the fact I understand his principles and that he is consistent with them even if they may be unpopular.  His constitutional argument that abortion should be decided by the states is the type of argument I expect from traditional Republicans (a dying breed). Bill Gates money and influence.  No thank you.  He spoke well until the last comment, but no, just NO.
  • Haley:  Though I don't agree with many of her positions, I respect the reasoning behind them. She is right on abortion that a national ban of whatever length is not likely to pass, so why beat that dead horse when abortion is a weak issue for Republicans.  Also agree with her on Russia.  I find it very strange how a big portion of the Republican party (in reputation, if not observation) have become pro-Russia. She is a party stoolie.  She came across well early on but then lost it with her shrill defense of the forever war party.
  • Scott:  Was he raised by a single mother?  Just wondering. Too on brand.  I like him, but he seems to always be saying the same thing over and over.
  • Christie:  Not running to be president, running to save the Republican party. His only reason for running was to attack Trump again.  That and make himself look foolish once again.  His tired "only republican to win in a blue state" mantra was tired in 2016.  With his pedigree, corruption and TDS, I can see why he would win in a blue state.

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
Climate change is a a sort of hoax. I think its fairly obvious that the planet is warming. Its also fairly obvious that its been doing it since the last ice age.

Everyone want less fosil fuels but not at their own expense. Theres constant memes about how if the top 100 companies did xyz then abc would happen. Who the hell do you think those 100 companies sell their products to?

Theres very few people out there willing to use a bicycle as their only transportation and turn off their AC/Heat. 
If the elite believed it, they wouldn't buy ocean front mansions.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
also,  who are these republicans that are pro russia?  I havent heard anybody in a very conservative part of the country say anything pro russia,  i have heard most of us say get the fuck out of the shit between russia and the ukraine,  but that in no way is support for russia,  its just a matter of us being somewhere we dont belong once again, and for reasons that are not being portrayed truthfully. ( even Robert Kennedy calls bullshit on the line that we are involved to protect the innocents of the Ukraine )
Pence actually admitted that he would rather Ukranians die for elite enrichment rather than having to send our sons there.  I thought it very honest of him to answer that.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
Please resist flaming little o' democrat me; I thought I would just give you my thoughts:
  • Debate:  I thought the moderators did a better job farther into the debate but they should really be able to turn off people's microphones.  Let each person have their allotted time and then cut them off.  The politicians will never agree to that.
  • Desantis:  I thought he was the most politician on the stage -- he refused to raise or not raise his hand on one question that he didn't like; yet raised his hand on other questions.  I thought he tied himself in knots trying to avoid direct questions also.
  • Pence:  I don't like Pence or most of his positions but I thought he did well and he is very principled.  You know his positions are firmly growing out of his religious beliefs.  Though I don't agree, I respect that.
  • Ramaswamy:  When he said climate change is a hoax, he lost me.  Also, he kept trying to channel other people (such as Obama) and tired to make himself out like Tim Scott as having growing up in a poor household.  As I understand it, his mother was a physician and his father an engineer and then a patent attorney for General Electric.
  • Burgum:  Again, I like the fact I understand his principles and that he is consistent with them even if they may be unpopular.  His constitutional argument that abortion should be decided by the states is the type of argument I expect from traditional Republicans (a dying breed).
  • Haley:  Though I don't agree with many of her positions, I respect the reasoning behind them. She is right on abortion that a national ban of whatever length is not likely to pass, so why beat that dead horse when abortion is a weak issue for Republicans.  Also agree with her on Russia.  I find it very strange how a big portion of the Republican party (in reputation, if not observation) have become pro-Russia.
  • Scott:  Was he raised by a single mother?  Just wondering.
  • Christie:  Not running to be president, running to save the Republican party.
There's only 4 of them even worth talking about....Desantis, Ramaswamy, Haley and Scott.  The rest might as well drop out.  Christie will still poll high...with Democrats.  Save the Republican Party?  You mean like Liz Cheney saved the party?  With an incumbent President, the Democrats will vote for Christie in open primaries as a spoiler.  They won't actually vote for him in the real election, however, so his job is actually to tear down the Republican party..and like Liz Cheney he seems to have embraced the role.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
not sure about the timeline for his  folks,  but his dad became a lawyer while Vivek was growing up,  he talks of having to go to his dads night school classes with him because his mother had to be with his brother or something else.  I dont know that he grew up in a cardboard box,  but I doubt he had the silver spoons upbringing that his parents later careers might suggest on the surface.
I didn't say he grew up with a silver spoon; what I was trying to convey was he was trying to be in the same lane as Scott (being raised by a single mother).  Both of his parents had degrees before they immigrated to the US.  She as a doctor and he as an engineer.  Jimmy, as you seem interested in Vivek's background, here is an article by a source that you should feel is fairly reliable.  https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ramaswa...upbringing

I look forward to your thoughts after you read it.

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
I didn't say he grew up with a silver spoon; what I was trying to convey was he was trying to be in the same lane as Scott (being raised by a single mother).  Both of his parents had degrees before they immigrated to the US.  She as a doctor and he as an engineer.  Jimmy, as you seem interested in Vivek's background, here is an article by a source that you should feel is fairly reliable.  https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ramaswa...upbringing

I look forward to your thoughts after you read it.

I dont see anything that surprised me,  he likely undersold his families situation,  but he himself in the article says middle class, which while not poor,  is also not what you would expect from parents with professional degrees on the surface,  however I dont know how valuable degrees from schools in India were in the 90s,  I doubt they carried much weight considering how many people from that part of the country were coming to the US at that time for educations.  Also,  these are people of color,  the US is inherently racist so I am sure they got hosed in terms of compensation.

I dont know,  but what I do know is I liked his plans to focus on the US and to trim govt waste by going after our bloated govt itself,  and to start focusing on our southern border and stemming the cartel influence in that region.

Heres what I do know,  SD doesnt vote until next June,  by then this picture will likely have cleared itself up and my going to polls that day will be for the undercards,  by then this one will likely be decided.