Our new forums are now active and these forums will remain online to serve as an archive.

Unfortunately we were unable to import everyone's profiles however, registration is very simple and can be done at: www.vikefans.com/alt-register/

From there on the nav bar click on the Interact menu button and check into the new forums.

If you need assistance with registering, please email us at [email protected]

Please update your bookmarks for the following: http://vikefans.com/forums/the-longship/

Photo

Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   shreksvikes

shreksvikes

Oarsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

The last thing I am is a noob. Been around a long time. I hardly ever sign in but I am here everyday. So many great posts and wonderful insights of great info. There are a few of us who state our opinion and then berate those who difer. All of this is arm chair opinions.

MY OPINION
Spielman is not the greatest GM
- got us Zimmer
- had brass to go get Bradford
- some might not like that but it still was courageous
- delivered a team that won nfc north in 16
- drafted some great picks
- smart enough to knoe the depth of this draft to bank our 3 and gain a fourth
- we are not the browns

Point is its my opinion. We do not have facts. We arent in the building getting all info. We only have about 25% of necessary info. Theres a guy over on PT who is livid and Spielman is the dumbest GM because he let AP walk and not give him a huge contract.

When we take our opinion off the field where we are able to see the whole game and assess the weaknesses we think we can do the same for the front office.

Im proud of the vikes. Win or lose I bleed purple. Skol
  • comet52, Purplemachine and Vikefever like this

#22 OFFLINE   shreksvikes Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

shreksvikes

Oarsman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

Btw Peace out. Maybe by this time next year I will have a 25 post count.
  • JimmyinSD likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Purplemachine Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

Purplemachine

BBQ SAUCE IS IN MY BLOOD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationBISMARCK, ND

• Hammer Head

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

NJVike is being consistent in his message. Yes, it's predictable, but as C-10 noted, the vast majority of people here piled on him and stood up to defend Spielman. You may feel he is repetitive, but overall the critiques of this team are in the minority among all the "Man are we awesome!" posts.

Re FA, my dissatisfaction is that so many fans rationalize the marginal addition of talent by saying things like, "We're being smart, all these teams signing guys are stupid", or, worse yet, "We're sticking to our plan". But how can the Vikings claim to be smarter than other teams, when we have no championships and only rarely even contend? Why should we consider any traditional "plan" to be a good one?

I think fandom can and should involve expecting the best performance possible from our team. I realize a lot of people prefer to hear positivity...sometimes I think we need a "sing to the choir" board exclusively for happy thoughts.

Perhaps you didn't read my post on this persons never ending diatribe.
In short. Get a new team to follow.
Find a new hobby/interest.

Most importantly. ..there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.

Bitch all you want but you can't fire Rick. Or control the draft and personnel.

We are all very low on the totem pole. None of what we say or think will have an effect on this team short of decisions to buy tickets or merchandise. Even that is small potatoes.
  • Ponifan and Vikefever like this
I enjoy a good three some. RIBS, BRISKET, and ME.

#24 OFFLINE   C-10 Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

C-10

Berserker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNewton Kansas

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

Btw Peace out. Maybe by this time next year I will have a 25 post count.

Well I should not have been such an butthead towards you. For that I will apologize but I'm going to be honest and say no way should a person with 18 post be bitching about someone else's content.

I encourage you to stay. Register for the new forums. Post more! Don't let me bother you.

#25 OFFLINE   Bolstad79 Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

Bolstad79

Berserker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationMontevideo

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

What's the correct post count then?

Well I should not have been such an butthead towards you. For that I will apologize but I'm going to be honest and say no way should a person with 18 post be bitching about someone else's content.

I encourage you to stay. Register for the new forums. Post more! Don't let me bother you.

#26 OFFLINE   A1Janitor Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

A1Janitor

Berserker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

• Bolstad79, Purplemachine and Vikefever like this

#27 OFFLINE   C-10 Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

C-10

Berserker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNewton Kansas

Posted 12 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

You know what, you're right. Free for all.

Double edited: Just not interested. Sorry

#28 OFFLINE   comet52 Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

comet52

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

I realize some might consider me repetitive

Nah, I'm sure everyone here is anxiously awaiting your next round of fresh insights.  :D

• A1Janitor, Minny65, Purplemachine and 1 other like this

#29 OFFLINE   Vikefever Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

Vikefever

Berserker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

• Hammer Head

Posted 12 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

Grant is buried in Grants tomb, or is he............Mmmmmmmmm

• Purplemachine likes this

#30 OFFLINE   Jor-El Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

Jor-El

Berserker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:10 PM

Perhaps you didn't read my post on this persons never ending diatribe.
In short. Get a new team to follow.
Find a new hobby/interest.

Most importantly. ..there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.

Bitch all you want but you can't fire Rick. Or control the draft and personnel.

We are all very low on the totem pole. None of what we say or think will have an effect on this team short of decisions to buy tickets or merchandise. Even that is small potatoes.

What a totally unhelpful perspective. Yes, you're right: we aren't owners of the team and able to make changes REALLY happen.

But if discussion of the team is only worth doing if we were able to control the team, then isn't this whole board pointless? Isn't all the work NFLDraftGuru puts into scouting and mocking changes just as pointless?

Some of us like to talk about our entertainment. There are people who watch Star Wars movies and discuss them endlessly, and if they find it rewarding, good for them. Then there are some who just pay their money and accept it and say, "That was all just perfect, George Lucas says Jar Jar Binks is a great character so I trust him and agree with whatever he thinks." Same thing in football. Regardless of where we each fit, how do the "discussers" cause any harm to the "accepters"??

Thanks for telling us you think we're wasting time here. Now set a good example and logoff.

• purplewhizz and njvike like this

#31 OFFLINE   njvike Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

njvike

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, North Carolina

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

And yet, after all these replies, NOBODY commented on the actual CONTENT of my post, choosing instead to be dismissive d-bags because I have the AUDACITY to find a .500 regular season record and 1 playoff win in 11 seasons unacceptable. SMH. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering this fan base actually embraced the rallying cry of "Embrace the Suck". I even stated that the ultimate judgement on these signings has yet to be determined, but that was, of course, ignored. The mob mentality is always in full force on this and most other Viking fans sites....Either goosestep to the propaganda emanating from Winter Park, or you are not "worthy" to be a fan. That's truly pathetic.

My point was, and still IS, that it is idiotic to give Spielman a Mulligan on his "back against the wall" signings of the R&R boys, given the FACT that it was his neglect to begin with that created the current situation.

But, as usual, the Ricky fluffers just choose to attack me personally because even they know, with their limited IQ's, that it is futile to argue Richard's ACTUAL results, which is the ONLY criteria I use to judge a GM, Company, CEO, President, Team, Coach, etc. . All of this other nonsense, like number of starters or percentage of draftees on the roster is MEANINGLESS unless the Team is successful, and that means POST SEASON SUCCESS.

I'm done with this post, so if anyone replies and expects a reply from me, you'll be as disappointed as I have been with the Vikings mediocrity since the turn of the century.

However, to the D-bag who implied I was a garbage man in NJ? You obviously can't READ, because under my name and avatar, it states I live in Lake Norman, outside Charlotte, NC, which is home to numerous NASCAR, BoA, Panther, Hornet and Lowes Home Improvement executives/players. I've lived here for @12 years (my job relocated me, ALL expenses paid) but I never felt the need to edit my name. Nice guess though, Slappy.

And to the weenie that wants MY plan? Well, I already have a job, but here's my challenge to YOU : Get me a 10 year contract as GM or VP of player personnel with the Vikings, at HALF of Ricky's salary, and I GUARANTEE you the the absolute worst I will do is just 1 less playoff win in that span than Ricky has accomplished since he took control of scouting and personnel in 2006. I will agree to refund my entire 10 years salaries if I do WORSE than 1 less playoff victory that Richard's Vikings squads have accomplished in his tenure, as of March, 2017. Agreed, smartass?

G'night!
  • purplewhizz likes this

Ricky Schpielman has now been in charge of Scouting and Player Personnel for 11 SEASONS and STILL has only ONE Favre-led playoff win to show for it. He's on his THIRD Head Coach (I've lost count of how many coordinators and assistant coaches) and the results have remained the SAME. You're FINALLY out of SCAPEGOATS, RICKY!! You gotta GO!!!

#32 OFFLINE   Vikefever Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

Vikefever

Berserker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

• Hammer Head

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

I will agree Rick has made me scratch my head.  I do not know the power structure inside the organization, as to how much pull each has, so I am reluctant to cast blame.  However, the O line with 2 tackles going down, and and makeshift backups has crippled this team.

#33 OFFLINE   A1Janitor Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

A1Janitor

Berserker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

I guess my only comment is this ...

You say the same thing over and over. After losses. After free agents leave. After we don't draft who you want.

Mysteriously - you think you are smarter than us. You aren't. We know the Viking's heartbreak too. We know the Viking line sucked last year.

We know what you know. We just don't care to hear it.
  • pumpf, comet52, Minny65 and 1 other like this

#34 OFFLINE   WisconsinVike Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

WisconsinVike

Voted the #1 Most Ignored Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,551 posts
  • LocationSheboygan Wisconsin

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:18 PM

wilf.jpg

• A1Janitor and njvike like this

"I never felt so free....it was just my dog and me"
John Hiatt ~

#35 OFFLINE   njvike Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

njvike

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, North Carolina

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

wilf.jpg

https://www.youtube....h?v=evOMnvDRVGg

OK....I'm retracting my "no response" clause. That's fucking classic! LMAO. Well done, WV, well done. I love me some Steely Dan....they have some of the most underrated guitar riffs in so many of their songs. A sincere tip of the hat, sir!

You obviously disagree with me. And that's cool....I can appreciate intelligent, creative "digs" as opposed to attacks that don't even respond to the CONTENT of my post. Have a great evening!

Janitor ( considering the content of your posts, your name is PERFECT) : You STILL avoid replying to the my actual post. I can only assume you are doing so because even you, with your obvious limited intellectual capabilities, understand you can't IGNORE the fact that Richard's panic response to the OL situation, particularly the OT's positions, can't be EXCUSED because HE CREATED the OL CLUSTERFUCK to begin with! Here's an analogy you might comprehend : A builder/contractor puts an addition on your house (assuming you OWN one), and that addition turns out to be defective. Would you be accepting of the fact that said builder/contractor tells you he doesn't have the money or resources to correct the problem that HIS negligence created?!

THAT'S what my post was about, but once again, the Purple Pollyanna's reign supreme and COMPLETELY miss the point. Oh well. I guess I'll join the club:

"Embrace the suck!"
"At least we're not the Browns!"
"The Bears are worse than we are!"
"Playoff wins are over rated, how many 1st round picks are on the roster?!"

Again, WV, thanks for the laugh...that was great! I'm saving that image!

Ricky Schpielman has now been in charge of Scouting and Player Personnel for 11 SEASONS and STILL has only ONE Favre-led playoff win to show for it. He's on his THIRD Head Coach (I've lost count of how many coordinators and assistant coaches) and the results have remained the SAME. You're FINALLY out of SCAPEGOATS, RICKY!! You gotta GO!!!

#36 OFFLINE   Kmillard Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

Kmillard

Berserker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:33 PM

I am ready for the Wilf era breakout any season now.
  • Bolstad79 likes this

#37 OFFLINE   Bolstad79 Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

Bolstad79

Berserker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationMontevideo

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

It's been a disappointing era so far, that all changes starting this season :)

I am ready for the Wilf era breakout any season now.

• Kmillard likes this

#38 OFFLINE   Mike Olson - Admin Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

Mike Olson - Admin

Berserker

• Administrators
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:14 PM

Well what I think is interesting isnt so much the take on Spielman so much as the slam on fellow fans for having their own take. And then the extra sauce after fans react to that slam.
  • njvike likes this

"%20alt=

#39 OFFLINE   Mike Olson - Admin Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

Mike Olson - Admin

Berserker

• Administrators
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:17 PM

Post count has absolutely nothing to do with a persons take. You could have someone from the front office here reading (and they do) who decides to register and chime in (and they might) and yer ripping them for post count.

"%20alt=

#40 OFFLINE   jargomcfargo Re: Can we PLEASE stop with the, "He did the best he could do" schpiel?

jargomcfargo

Northman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

Well what I think is interesting isnt so much the take on Spielman so much as the slam on fellow fans for having their own take. And then the extra sauce after fans react to that slam.

It's the same on Vikings forums everywhere. People are intolerant of critical posters and label them as negative. Given the Vikings record the last decade or two, some critical posts should be expected. I have no problem with the OP, but the personal sniping that sometimes follows a critical or negative post is not only predictable, it is a waste of time. At least there is some self restraint here. Moderation is also important in the internet world.

Spielman has done some good things but not enough to make the Vikings perennial contenders. I sense the sands in his hourglass are running short.

• njvike likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users