Zimmer on some key issues...

purplefaithfulpurplefaithful Posts: 17,164King

On front-office assurances the Vikings will be able to keep their defense together after laying out $84 million guaranteed to Cousins:

I did mention that a lot of times to those guys. But sometimes I said that to the media just so you’d think we’re going in a different direction as well. That wasn’t lying. I still feel that way. This was the decision we thought was best.

On former defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd saying Zimmer defamed him with malingering comments after he suffered a 2016 knee injury, which led to botched surgery that caused career-threatening nerve damage and a grievance against the Vikings:

I suppose I say a lot of things about players during the season. But I had a good relationship with Sharrif, like I did with all the players. I haven’t seen him in two years, maybe? It was a long time before we figured it out.

On reconciling a great regular-season defense with yielding 55 points in final five postseason quarters.

Honestly, I don’t look at it the way everyone else is saying that. The Philadelphia game, we didn’t play good. New Orleans, we played good. We played against a great offensive football team. It was 17-0 late in the third quarter. We throw an interception. We get a punt blocked. We’re playing a hall of fame quarterback (Drew Brees). That game they came back and played good and made some plays on us.

The last four games of the year we didn’t rush as good as we had the entire season. (Everson Griffen) was dealing with his plantar fasciitis. We were probably playing Tom Johnson too many plays. He probably ran out of a little bit of gas. I think it was the end stretch there, the last quarter of the season, where I think we should have rotated players a little more. I didn’t do a good job with them. That’s another lesson learned.

On wanting to protect his defensive line more in 2018:

Yeah, I hope so. When the game’s on the line, you’ve got to play your best guys. I don’t want to be taking our best players out and have them not in there to win the game. We stayed fairly healthy, which was significant. Seventy-two (total quarters in the season) and we’re talking about five quarters. I have to look at the entirety of the season. The Philadelphia game, none of us played well. But the New Orleans game we played well. They just made plays.

On whether reserve cornerback Terence Newman, who turns 40 in September, will return and if it will come down to his salary demands:

It’s a little bit of that. I talked to Terence about a week ago. We’ll just see where he’s at and what he wants to do. I think he’s still thinking about it.

On starting over in 2018:

I think it really is completely fresh. Kirk is our guy. Hopefully, we can continue to do some of the things we did last year. We were good on defense most of the time. We have a good football team. We have a great organization, great owners. If we can just try to keep getting a little bit better every day, maybe we can finally get over that last game that we didn’t get done last year. I wish we could start out at 13-3 with a bye in the first round but it doesn’t happen. You have injuries. You have all type of different things that go on throughout the season. We’re going to have to manage it when it does.

On new defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson:

The 3-technique is a very important position for us. He’s a guy that gets a lot of one-on-one matchups with guards. I think it will help our two defensive ends when those tackles can’t sit in there and those guards can’t sit in there without help. I feel he’s a disruptive guy, and with Andre Patterson, who I think is the best defensive line coach in the NFL, with his expertise and the way we do things defensively, I think (Richardson) can be a big factor for us. He’s got a lot of room to grow. He’s got all the traits. Now we’ve just got to continue to take him to the next level.

On relinquishing play-calling duties to defensive coordinator George Edwards:

I would really like to get away from it at some point, maybe because of the last five quarters (of the playoffs), I should, I guess, I don’t know. But I think it’s something I do well. I don’t want to be a second-guess coach if George calls something — ‘Oh, I hate that call.’ I’ve had that happen in the past. It’s not good. We’ll just see how it goes.

On running back Dalvin Cook’s rehab from an October torn ACL and his prognosis for participating in offseason workouts:

Dalvin is ahead of schedule. I think he’ll be doing some things in OTAs but he won’t be doing everything. He’ll start getting back into football a little bit as we go.

On retaining running back Latavius Murray:

I think it’s good to have two different styles of backs. I think Latavius did a great job coming in. I love talking to him, his demeanor and everything about him. He’s a good short-yardage guy, a good goal-line guy. He had some explosive runs for us after Dalvin left. I thought it was important, after losing Jerick (McKinnon), that we kept another back.

On expectations being sky-high for Vikings in 2018:

Oh, yeah. Expectations will get coaches fired. I don’t have that fear of God in me. I like my football team, and it’s really, really hard to win the Super Bowl. I’ve won it once with a really good football team (defensive backs coach for 1995 Dallas Cowboys). Vikings fans understand because they’ve never won a Super Bowl.

I’m going to preach to them every day, ‘Let’s get better today.’ The Philly game might be a great example. All week long, human nature, everyone’s telling us how great we are, the greatest play ever (to defeat the Saints), and we don’t come off the field forever (celebrating). Now (Stefon) Diggs is a celebrity. We’re not a bunch of celebrity guys. But it’s hard to do. I think our players understand that.

On using humility as motivating tactic:

The first time I have a chance to have a meeting with the players, I’ll talk to them about all those things. You want to say you’re as good as your last game? Ok, let’s put the (Eagles) tape on. This is who we are. This is what we’ve done. It’s how we prepare and go about our business. Usually our team’s pretty good about it.

On whether he will show the team the Philadelphia game tape on Day 1 of offseason workouts:

Hell, no! I don’t want to watch that either.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/27/mike-zimmer-on-teddy-bridgewaters-knee-vikings-doctors-saw-a-problem/

pumpfZanarygreedironSmashmouthDVikergirl
The 4 stages of a Viking Fans Season; Hope during the offseason, Increased hope during the season, Dagger your hopes in the postseason, Rinse & Repeat...

Comments

• dadevikedadevike Posts: 1,472Jarl
    I like his honesty. You do not see that very often in head coaches.
    pumpfVanguard83greedironNeptizzle
  • NodakVikingNodakViking Posts: 400Karl
    He really is exactly what I want in a head coach. He makes mistakes like all of them but even when he does I think he has good reasons for doing what he did even if it didn't turn out the way we wanted.
  • greedirongreediron Posts: 8,868King

On reconciling a great regular-season defense with yielding 55 points in final five postseason quarters.

Honestly, I don’t look at it the way everyone else is saying that. The Philadelphia game, we didn’t play good. New Orleans, we played good. We played against a great offensive football team. It was 17-0 late in the third quarter. We throw an interception. We get a punt blocked. We’re playing a hall of fame quarterback (Drew Brees). That game they came back and played good and made some plays on us.The last four games of the year we didn’t rush as good as we had the entire season. (Everson Griffen) was dealing with his plantar fasciitis. We were probably playing Tom Johnson too many plays. He probably ran out of a little bit of gas. I think it was the end stretch there, the last quarter of the season, where I think we should have rotated players a little more. I didn’t do a good job with them. That’s another lesson learned.

Brutally honest and that goes for himself as well.  Love that about our coach.
    and I agree 100% with him

On whether he will show the team the Philadelphia game tape on Day 1 of offseason workouts:

Hell, no! I don’t want to watch that either.

• purplefaithfulpurplefaithful Posts: 17,164King
    edited March 2018
    His honesty and transparency are endearing to us fans, not sure it always serves him well as HC of the team. Not damaging, but at times he's his own worst enemy. 

But there is no denying we've had some decent success under Zimsu. Has made me pretty darn happy. 

That said (even with 13/3 and previous years success) I have a little niggle in the back of my mind regarding the times I feel he's been badly out-coached/out schemed.

We'll see if he can continue to evolve scheme and play-calling to have even more post-season success, or not. Barr has been raised for sure.. 
    Post edited by purplefaithful on
    The 4 stages of a Viking Fans Season; Hope during the offseason, Increased hope during the season, Dagger your hopes in the postseason, Rinse & Repeat...
  • HappyVikingHappyViking Posts: 3,080Jarl
    edited March 2018

Honestly, I don’t look at it the way everyone else is saying that. The Philadelphia game, we didn’t play good. New Orleans, we played good. We played against a great offensive football team. It was 17-0 late in the third quarter. We throw an interception. We get a punt blocked. We’re playing a hall of fame quarterback (Drew Brees). That game they came back and played good and made some plays on us.

The last four games of the year we didn’t rush as good as we had the entire season. (Everson Griffen) was dealing with his plantar fasciitis. We were probably playing Tom Johnson too many plays. He probably ran out of a little bit of gas. I think it was the end stretch there, the last quarter of the season, where I think we should have rotated players a little more. I didn’t do a good job with them. That’s another lesson learned.

On expectations being sky-high for Vikings in 2018:

Oh, yeah. Expectations will get coaches fired. I don’t have that fear of God in me. I like my football team, and it’s really, really hard to win the Super Bowl. I’ve won it once with a really good football team (defensive backs coach for 1995 Dallas Cowboys). Vikings fans understand because they’ve never won a Super Bowl.

I’m going to preach to them every day, ‘Let’s get better today.’ The Philly game might be a great example. All week long, human nature, everyone’s telling us how great we are, the greatest play ever (to defeat the Saints), and we don’t come off the field forever (celebrating). Now (Stefon) Diggs is a celebrity. We’re not a bunch of celebrity guys. But it’s hard to do. I think our players understand that.

Nice interview.  These talking points probably stick out the most for me.  I really noticed the decline in our pass rush in those last four games, just like Zim mentions.  The defense wasn't in peak form heading into the playoffs, and it showed.  Injuries are a real part of the game, and it does change the team, no matter who's coaching.

I like how he wants to use both the Saints and Philly games as a learning experiences with the team.
    Poiple
    Post edited by HappyViking on
  • VikergirlVikergirl Posts: 11,207King
    "And with Andre Patterson, who I think is the best defensive line coach in the NFL, with his expertise and the way we do things defensively."

In addition to the other talking points, this right here says a great deal. Andre is another coach loved by his plays and he knows his stuff. I love watching him in the huddle with the defensive line. I love watching him talk to the players and encouraging them and firing them up. Watching him on the sidelines when he is jumping up and down getting all excited. He is like a proud dad and good leader. 

Coach Zimmer may be an older coach as some say but he is still open to learning, that's one of the reasons he has been in the league so long. Adapt or die. And he always owns his part, his players appreciate that. He doesn't throw around blame or make excuses. When he mentions the total number of quarters played, it's not to dismiss the last few. He clearly stated that work still needs to be done. He mentions the total to acknowledge and appreciate the work of his players but he clearly sees that they can do better. It's a matter of pride too, a challenge even. And he seems to thrive off adversity, he steps up and gets the job done. 
    Wetlander
  • RushmoreVikeRushmoreVike Posts: 122Thrall
    His honesty and transparency are endearing to us fans, not sure it always serves him well as HC of the team. Not damaging, but at times he's his own worst enemy. 

But there is no denying we've had some decent success under Zimsu. Has made me pretty darn happy. 

That said (even with 13/3 and previous years success) I have a little niggle in the back of my mind regarding the times I feel he's been badly out-coached/out schemed.

We'll see if he can continue to evolve scheme and play-calling to have even more post-season success, or not. Barr has been raised for sure.. 
    I will take honesty all day long over somebody that is all smiles and tells the camera what they think makes them look the best even though they are completely full of shit and lying their asses off.  or worse yet they say shit that makes them appear incompetent. (Frazier)
  • IceRatz16IceRatz16 Posts: 27Thrall
    edited April 2018
    Zim is a good HC (not great IMO - though I root for him to be) and I appreciate his honesty, but I question is answers and responses.

I'm still very bitter over the loss in Phily.  Two years in a row we have been beaten by Phily and our season changed.  In 2016 we were 5-0 going into Phily and the team played like crap, coming off of a bye week.  In 2017 we have one game to go before MAKING HISTORY to get to the Superbowl in our own stadium and they go back into Phily a year later and get thumped even worse.

I truly question Zimmer's ability to learn from his mistakes.  I get that both situations were totally different and different teams/players, but I fear that he cannot get our team motivated at the right times.  We lose momentum at home against the Saints after doing everything right and allow them back in the game.  Things happen, but the Vikings team went completely limp one play after another.  And to say that he couldn't get his guys off the high and "celebrity" status and prepared for the Eagles game that would eventually get them to the Superbowl, is a complete joke.  That's on him.  Not only have the Vikings never won the Superbowl, they haven't been there in over 40 years.  Add to that, the history of playing in the Superbowl in your own stadium...and you're telling me that you couldn't get the guys amped up?  I don't care what kind of high they were on...get them prepared to play and help remind them what was on the line and that they are nothing special for pulling a rabbit out of their hats and that their business was not finished.

Argh, these comments just rehash the wounds that have barely scabbed over...

All I can say is this team is primed for the Superbowl and if the Vikings don't make it there, Zim may have to go back to being a DC and let someone else take over as HC (maybe Flip - we'll see).
    kmillard
    Post edited by IceRatz16 on
  • purplefaithfulpurplefaithful Posts: 17,164King
    edited April 2018
    I'm not sure I question Zimmer's ability to learn from his mistakes...But I am concerned at times he's been taken to the woodshed by being out game-planned. 

On another note, beat Detroit at home this past year and I believe the NFCCG would have been at our house..
    kmillard
    Post edited by purplefaithful on
    edited April 2018
    I'm not sure I question Zimmer's ability to learn from his mistakes...But I am concerned at times he's been taken to the woodshed by being out game-planned. 

On another note, beat Detroit at home this past year and I believe the NFCCG would have been at our house..
    Yes, that was a huge loss.  But if I recall, the defense held Detroit to 7 points?  The offense had the ball a couple times in the waning moments of the game and couldn't score.  That was Case's 3rd game and he struggled mightily.
    Post edited by greediron on
  • PoiplePoiple Posts: 691Karl
    Its nothing new, teams need to lose to learn how to win.  The playoffs are different, the media, the pressure, season of injuries, and the competition are all obstacles teams learn to overcome.  Head coaches too.  

If you didnt see the loss in philly coming you havent watched 50 years of football.

It seems funny, but it appears Griffins foot may have been the beginning of the end.  About the time his pass rush waned so did the Vikings defense.  Add in the O line shuffle and it wasnt too suprising.  Late in the third quarter against New Orleans you could almost sense when it shifted and you got that sinking feeling in your stomach.

I cant put it all on the Coach. Just like I cant blame Bud for the Superbowl losses.  Just as many factors go into a loss as go into a win.  

This year we will see what these guys are made of.  The corp of players that came up together and lost together. They have the locker room. We will see how badly they want it.
  • NorseNorse Posts: 593Karl
    edited April 2018

Yes, that was a huge loss.  But if I recall, the defense held Detroit to 7 points?  The offense had the ball a couple times in the waning moments of the game and couldn't score.  That was Case's 3rd game and he struggled mightily.
    I suppose you would see it that way.

I see it as we lost Cook for the season,Had 3 fumbles and a few penalties.
    edit: Keenum had better stats than Stafford that game.
    Post edited by Norse on
    @Norse said:

We had 7 points.

Yes, losing Cook let the air out.  But Stafford had one stat better than Keenum, points.  At home, with the ball twice in the closing minutes and we couldn't score.

See it whatever way you want, but our offense was bad that day. 
  • ArizonaVikingArizonaViking Posts: 1,636Jarl
    I'll take a win over stats any day...
    @Norse said:

We had 7 points.

Yes, losing Cook let the air out.  But Stafford had one stat better than Keenum, points.  At home, with the ball twice in the closing minutes and we couldn't score.

See it whatever way you want, but our offense was bad that day. 
    And did you see where the fumbles was at?
    Then you can't have turnovers and miss field goals 
  • ArizonaVikingArizonaViking Posts: 1,636Jarl
    @Norse said:
    Then you can't have turnovers and miss field goals 

I'll try to live without them.  lol
    NorseWetlander
  • holmanjpholmanjp Posts: 268Karl

I wonder what his stats could have been if these didn't happen!!!!

2nd and 6 at DET 49

(14:55 - 3rd) J.McKinnon to MIN 47 for -4 yards. FUMBLES, RECOVERED by DET-A.Zettel at MIN 47. A.Zettel to MIN 47 for no gain (M.Remmers).

1st and 10 at MIN 18

(10:35 - 3rd) D.Cook up the middle to MIN 28 for 10 yards (T.Wilson). FUMBLES (T.Wilson), RECOVERED by DET-T.Whitehead at MIN 29. T.Whitehead to MIN 29 for no gain (D.Cook).

4th and 8 at DET 21

(0:50 - 3rd) K.Forbath 39 yard field goal is No Good, Hit Right Upright, Center-K.McDermott, Holder-R.Quigley.

1st and 10 at MIN 44

(1:51 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass short middle to A.Thielen to DET 45 for 11 yards (G.Quin). FUMBLES (G.Quin), RECOVERED by DET-T.Whitehead at DET 45. T.Whitehead to 50 for 5 yards (J.McKinnon).

NorsePurplewhizz
    @Norse said:

We had 7 points.

But Stafford had one stat better than Keenum, points.  At home, with the ball twice in the closing minutes and we couldn't score.

1st and 10 at MIN 44

(1:51 - 4th) (Shotgun) C.Keenum pass short middle to A.Thielen to DET 45 for 11 yards (G.Quin). FUMBLES (G.Quin), RECOVERED by DET-T.Whitehead at DET 45. T.Whitehead to 50 for 5 yards (J.McKinnon).

(1:51 - 4th) To bad he completed that pass. I cant believe he did that, what was he thinking?

So the sequence of how Viking drives ended in reverse order.

End of game,

(1:51) (Shotgun) 7-C.Keenum pass short middle to 19-A.Thielen to DET 45 for 11 yards (27-G.Quin). FUMBLES (27-G.Quin), RECOVERED by DET-59-T.Whitehead at DET 45. 59-T.Whitehead to 50 for 5 yards (21-J.McKinnon).

(2:31) (Shotgun) 7-C.Keenum sacked at DET 14 for -11 yards (69-A.Zettel).
    (2:19) (Shotgun) 7-C.Keenum pass incomplete short left to 19-A.Thielen.
    This ended a 6 minute drive with numerous incompletes.

(10:51) (Shotgun) 7-C.Keenum pass incomplete short right to 21-J.McKinnon.

3rd Q
    (1:00) 7-C.Keenum pass incomplete deep left to 89-D.Morgan (35-M.Killebrew).
    (:55) (Shotgun) 7-C.Keenum pass incomplete short left to 21-J.McKinnon (24-N.Lawson).
    (:50) 2-K.Forbath 39 yard field goal is No Good, Hit Right Upright, Center-47-K.McDermott, Holder-4-R.Quigley.

7:17) (Shotgun) 7-C.Keenum pass incomplete short left to 14-S.Diggs.

Yeah, it was a stellar showing that day.  3 of the last 4 drives had Keenum walking off after an incompletion.

So the sequence of how Viking drives ended in reverse order.

End of game,

(1:51) (Shotgun) 7-C.Keenum pass short middle to 19-A.Thielen to DET 45 for 11 yards (27-G.Quin). FUMBLES (27-G.Quin), RECOVERED by DET-59-T.Whitehead at DET 45. 59-T.Whitehead to 50 for 5 yards (21-J.McKinnon).

(2:31) (Shotgun) 7-C.Keenum sacked at DET 14 for -11 yards (69-A.Zettel).
    (2:19) (Shotgun) 7-C.Keenum pass incomplete short left to 19-A.Thielen.
    This ended a 6 minute drive with numerous incompletes.

(10:51) (Shotgun) 7-C.Keenum pass incomplete short right to 21-J.McKinnon.

3rd Q
    (1:00) 7-C.Keenum pass incomplete deep left to 89-D.Morgan (35-M.Killebrew).
    (:55) (Shotgun) 7-C.Keenum pass incomplete short left to 21-J.McKinnon (24-N.Lawson).
    (:50) 2-K.Forbath 39 yard field goal is No Good, Hit Right Upright, Center-47-K.McDermott, Holder-4-R.Quigley.

7:17) (Shotgun) 7-C.Keenum pass incomplete short left to 14-S.Diggs.

Yeah, it was a stellar showing that day.  3 of the last 4 drives had Keenum walking off after an incompletion.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I now agree with you, Case is the only reason they lost that day.

"That was Case's 3rd game and he struggled mightily."

Never mined that Detroit score 11 of it's 14 points off of fumbles.
    @holmanjp said:

For you, anytime.
    @holmanjp said:

For you, anytime.
    It's so refreshing, It is like a new world. Everything is so obvious now.

Ted didn't get his win (that he earned) in the playoffs because BW missed a field goal.

The Vikings didn't get a win (they earned) against Det, because Case could not over come 3 fumbles (11 points) and a missed field
    @holmanjp said:
    @holmanjp said:

For you, anytime.

Ted didn't get his win (that he earned) in the playoffs because BW missed a field goal.

The Vikings didn't get a win (they earned) against Det, because Case could not over come 3 fumbles (11 points) and a missed field
    project much? 

Who mentioned Teddy?  (you of course)  I simply said that Case didn't play well in that game.  That ended up being a huge loss for the team.  The defense played relatively well, but the offense crapped the bed.  Losing Cook really hurt, and he fumbled on that play.  Case was still finding his way at that point from being a backup to being the starter.  Our offense probably was geared on lots of Cook. 

But funny how a simple statement that Case didn't play well brings out so much projection and drama.  He didn't play well.  The rest of the issues are yours.
    FSUVikeJimmyinSD
  • PoiplePoiple Posts: 691Karl
    is it draft time yet?
  • ZanaryZanary Posts: 1,348Jarl
    @holmanjp said:
    @holmanjp said:

For you, anytime.

Some further clarification:

BW scored all our points in that game, Ted didn't earn his way into the end zone, not once.

As far as the Det game, the offense looked very lackluster and obviously hadn't gelled with the "new guy" yet....not shocking, he'd had very limited time with the offense.

NOW...there are variables, quality of o-line in the various games, etc etc etc...but as far as what was "earned"...eh...that gets awfully muddy.

kmillard
    Kevin's Officially on the Boat...now, "the s**t gets real".
  • JimmyinSDJimmyinSD Posts: 17,228King
    @Zanary said:
    @holmanjp said:
    @holmanjp said:

For you, anytime.

BW scored all our points in that game, Ted didn't earn his way into the end zone, not once.

As far as the Det game, the offense looked very lackluster and obviously hadn't gelled with the "new guy" yet....not shocking, he'd had very limited time with the offense.

NOW...there are variables, quality of o-line in the various games, etc etc etc...but as far as what was "earned"...eh...that gets awfully muddy.

hard to blame that on Ted,  when he would get the team moving then Norv would give the ball back to AD,  Ted moved them down the field for the winning score and they ran AD 3 straight times without giving Ted a shot at the endzone.   No reason there wasnt a PA boot off one of those handoffs with Teddy rolling to his right with at least 1 or 2 options to throw into the endzone.  People like to say that AD got us there and Blair lost it,  but AD was as much of a hindrance to the offense that season as he was a help.  (yes I know all about the fact that he won the rushing title ((with the lowest total yardage in the last 20 years due to the other favorites being injured))
    Why isnt Chuck Foreman in the hall of fame?

@Zanary said:
    @holmanjp said:
    @holmanjp said:

For you, anytime.

I should have added sarcasm 

Yes BW scored the only points that game.
    Had BW made that kick.
    Ted would still be getting praised for the win.

ZanarykmillardPurplewhizz
    @holmanjp said:

Ted would still be getting praised for the win.

And many would be miserable because Ted wasn't their guy.