Exclamation point or re-writing the 2018 narrative?

Next few weeks will either put an exclamation point to an un-rewarding (for me) season or re-write the narrative to-date all together. 

@ Seattle
Miami
@ Detroit
Bears

The 4 stages of a Viking Fans Season; Hope during the offseason, Increased hope during the season, Dagger your hopes in the postseason, Rinse & Repeat...

Comments

• HappyVikingHappyViking Posts: 3,080Jarl
    A true contender goes 4-0.  I have my doubts, but maybe 2-2.  Our offense just seems to be plodding, boring, and more predictable as the season goes on.
    pumpfRalphie
  • StickyBunStickyBun Posts: 15,507King
    A true contender goes 4-0.  I have my doubts, but maybe 2-2.  Our offense just seems to be plodding, boring, and more predictable as the season goes on.
    This.

Its very clear: just win. 
    Ralphie
  • pumpfpumpf Posts: 1,575Jarl
    I think the reason that it's boring is because it's not working.  I tend to think that JDF has been trying to be extra-special exotic on offense, in order to get some HC attention in the off-season.  Problem?  We're not executing those plays.  But if we ran "simpler" plays (like running the ball off tackle) we'd be more effective, which- in turn- is more exciting.  If all of JDF's plays worked as drawn up, they'd be super-exciting.  But they're not working...
  • Maple SurpleMaple Surple Posts: 606Karl
    @pumpf said:
    I think the reason that it's boring is because it's not working.  I tend to think that JDF has been trying to be extra-special exotic on offense, in order to get some HC attention in the off-season.  Problem?  We're not executing those plays.  But if we ran "simpler" plays (like running the ball off tackle) we'd be more effective, which- in turn- is more exciting.  If all of JDF's plays worked as drawn up, they'd be super-exciting.  But they're not working...

I guess its a sign your organization is well established when your O is in the top 10 in passing in the League and fans are bored & asking for simple plays ?  ;)
  • JimmyinSDJimmyinSD Posts: 17,215King
    @pumpf said:

I guess its a sign your organization is well established when your O is in the top 10 in passing in the League and fans are bored & asking for simple plays ?  ;)
    in a bizarro world this is familiar...

i think were are exactly the opposite of where we were 6-8 years ago... tops in the league in rushing but we can get any sort of consistent passing game going.  now we can throw at will but cant convert a 3 and short to save our asses.  

IMO if you want to get cute with your offense you first have to be able to execute the bread and butter.... screens, off tackle runs, draws and dives the old 6th grade play book... and we dont do that,  a reverse only works if you first can run off tackle or a sweep.  lets get the running game at least back to firing on a couple cylinders before we try and turn it into a dragster.
    HappyVikinggreedironMaple Surple
    Why isnt Chuck Foreman in the hall of fame?

• silverjoelsilverjoel Posts: 280Karl
    @pumpf said:

Total passing yards is a bad way to evaluate the passing game.  The Vikings have the 2nd most passing attempts, they should be in the top ten.  Hell, they should be 2nd.  By yards per attempt, the Vikings are 22nd.

After all, McDonald's doesn't have the best food simply because there are more McDonald's than any other restaurant.

Jor-ElJimmyinSDgreedironHappyViking
    @pumpf said:

Total passing yards is a bad way to evaluate the passing game.  The Vikings have the 2nd most passing attempts, they should be in the top ten.  Hell, they should be 2nd.  By yards per attempt, the Vikings are 22nd.

After all, McDonald's doesn't have the best food simply because there are more McDonald's than any other restaurant.

kind of like when we had the best run defense in the league because we couldnt stop anybodies passing game?
    silverjoel

• Jor-ElJor-El Posts: 2,362Jarl
    @pumpf said:

The fans are asking for wins more than 50% of the time. It's a rationalization when you cite yardage statistics.

I'm actually amazed - and daring to hope - because the Vikings still control their playoff destiny. Win the next 4 and they're 10-5-1 and at least a wildcard, probably the #5 seed. If the Bears lose just 1 of their next 3 - at least a decent chance with the Rams Sunday - then the Vikings can, by winning out with a victory over the Bears at USB, win this division again and host a Wildcard playoff game.

That's why I want Zimmer screaming at these guys that they need to put on their killer faces because they need to win 4 in a row here and have no margin for error.

JimmyinSDHappyVikingRalphie
  • holmanjpholmanjp Posts: 268Karl
    @pumpf said:

Total passing yards is a terrible way to determine being called top ten.
    Yes Kirk is #1 in completions, You better be, no worst than 6th in total passing yards.
    Yet somehow he is 34th in yards gained per completion. vs QB's with 100 or more attempts

7th yards per game. 
    10th TD's
    12th QB rate
    18th TD%
    18th net yards gained per pass attempt
    20th 4th quarter come backs, with 1 in 12 games
    30th game winning drives, with 0

• Maple SurpleMaple Surple Posts: 606Karl
    @holmanjp said:
    @pumpf said:

No, other way around, I pointed out the Vikings are in the top 10 in passing, which thry are

& I did because the above posts made me think we couldnt move the ball & were in last place

Yes we have problems, do every year & you know what ?
    So does every team. Maybe, maybe being undefeated would be great, but this is the time of year you want to go on a winning run, which is totally doable

• VikergirlVikergirl Posts: 11,205King
    I think it's an exclamation point either way. Either it's a whole lot of happy or a whole lot of swear words. 
  • holmanjpholmanjp Posts: 268Karl
    edited December 2018
    @holmanjp said:
    @pumpf said:

No, other way around, I pointed out the Vikings are in the top 10 in passing, which thry are

& I did because the above posts made me think we couldnt move the ball & were in last place

Yes we have problems, do every year & you know what ?
    So does every team. Maybe, maybe being undefeated would be great, but this is the time of year you want to go on a winning run, which is totally doable

I pointed out passing yards is a terrible way to determine they are top 10, it's because of attempts. Nothing more.

Stafford is on his way to his 8th 4,000 plus passing season.
    .457 win % 

Some QB's are just destine to pick up more garbage time yards than others.
    When you play from behind a lot it is easy to get 4th quarter yards.
    Kirk 8 TD's in 4th quarter, more than any other quarter. 

Bears game as a recent example.
    175 (67%) of his 262 yards and 100% of his TD's in final 5 minutes of the game, when it didn't matter to Chicago.

30th game winning drives, with 0
    20th 4th quarter come backs, with 1 in 12 games

njvike
    Post edited by holmanjp on
  • MaroonBellsMaroonBells Posts: 15,024King
    I see this thing going one of two ways. We find a way to make the playoffs and become that team that nobody wants to play (the team that everyone knows is better than its record). Or we don't and there is hell to pay. Media and fans will want heads and jobs will be on the line.

This Seattle game is fixin' to be the game of the season, and I don't like it one bit. Always a tough out at home and they're playing good football right now. 
    Maple Surple

When in doubt tell the truth - Mark Twain

• suncoastvikesuncoastvike Posts: 2,258Jarl
    This week and the last will probably be the closest we have to signature wins if we prevail. Run the table and we could be a force in the post season. This is championship time. At 10-5-1 we would be in the conversation. Roll now and all's forgiven.
    SKOL!!!
    Maple Surple
    ''A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and a great quarterback ~ and not necessarily in that order''

• Jor-ElJor-El Posts: 2,362Jarl
    I see this thing going one of two ways. We find a way to make the playoffs and become that team that nobody wants to play (the team that everyone knows is better than its record). Or we don't and there is hell to pay. Media and fans will want heads and jobs will be on the line.

This Seattle game is fixin' to be the game of the season, and I don't like it one bit. Always a tough out at home and they're playing good football right now. 

Yeah, I really want to see the 4-game streak to end the season, win another division crown, and be a tough #3 seed. But it starts with a win Monday in Seattle.

If we lose Monday, why maintain much excitement? We will be 6-6-1. Sure, we could still win as many as 9 games and be a wildcard, but do you want to be ending the season with Chicago here resting their starters because they have nothing to play for?

Maple Surple
    @Jor-El said:

Yeah, I really want to see the 4-game streak to end the season, win another division crown, and be a tough #3 seed. But it starts with a win Monday in Seattle.

If we lose Monday, why maintain much excitement? We will be 6-6-1. Sure, we could still win as many as 9 games and be a wildcard, but do you want to be ending the season with Chicago here resting their starters because they have nothing to play for?

I just want to make the playoffs. That's when everything changes. I honestly couldn't care less how it happens. 
    Maple Surplepurplefaithful

• comet52comet52 Posts: 2,258Jarl
    edited December 2018
    I think this team has shown us what it is - a .500 team after 3/4 of a season.   And .500 teams don't really go anywhere in the postseason on the rare occasions they get there.    I'm not smoking the hopium on this squad.

Winning's more fun than losing but I still enjoy Viking football for what it is.   Some years just aren't your year, as they say.
    jargomcfargokmillard
    Post edited by comet52 on
  • suncoastvikesuncoastvike Posts: 2,258Jarl
    edited December 2018
    @Jor-El said:

I just want to make the playoffs. That's when everything changes. I honestly couldn't care less how it happens. 
    I think people lose sight of what making the playoff really means. It means you get at least one more game to cheer on the team. Then if they win you get another. If not...anyhow 17 games is still better then 16.
    Post edited by suncoastvike on
    ''A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and a great quarterback ~ and not necessarily in that order''

• purplefaithfulpurplefaithful Posts: 17,162King

I'd feel real good about the game if it was here...There? Not so much. 

I think the Seahawks are the team sneaking into the playoffs that nobody will want to play. The Vikings? they have to prove to me they have the horses and fortitude to do that this year. They have not done that to-date. 0'fer against winning teams. 
    HappyViking
    The 4 stages of a Viking Fans Season; Hope during the offseason, Increased hope during the season, Dagger your hopes in the postseason, Rinse & Repeat...
  • HappyVikingHappyViking Posts: 3,080Jarl

I'd feel real good about the game if it was here...There? Not so much. 

I think the Seahawks are the team sneaking into the playoffs that nobody will want to play. The Vikings? they have to prove to me they have the horses and fortitude to do that this year. They have not done that to-date. 0'fer against winning teams. 
    Yep, the Vikes look like pretenders, not contenders.  :#  Quite a bit of talk, but don't back it up on game day.
    i think of teams like the giants that have 2 superbowls under eli and neither time did anybody think they would be more than a 1 and done.  

I am no where near as stoked about this team as I was 3 months ago,  but they are no where near the hot mess that some posters want to make them out to be.  this league is about as balanced in talent as it could be with the Vikes near the top,  a little luck and a little change here or there and they will be talking about how the Vikings backed their way into the superbowl and shocked the world.
    Maple Surple

This Seattle game is fixin' to be the game of the season, and I don't like it one bit. Always a tough out at home and they're playing good football right now. . 

I think the Seahawks are the team sneaking into the playoffs that nobody will want to play. 
    Yes, they are now. But in the NFL things change so quickly. Rams could fade, Bears could drop two straight. Saints looked terrible in their last game. Does that continue? Or was it a blip? Anyone can get hot. Hell, even Dallas. Maybe the Eagles make a surge. I like the Vikings in their final three, so this game on Monday night will have a lot to say about whether or not the Vikings are going to be part of that conversation. What scares me (and it's happened before--86 I think?) is that the Vikings get hot, look like the team nobody wants to play, but just miss the playoffs. 
    Maple Surple

• medaillemedaille Posts: 2,170Jarl
    edited December 2018

I think it’s pretty clear that we’re not going to be the team that is going to be dominant almost every game with a high chance of winning their playoff games, but I do think we still have a chance of “getting hot at the right time”.  I don’t think we can really fix our OLine in the last couple games, but I do think we can fix our playcalling, and with just a little better offensive production that might be enough to tip things in our favor.

That said, I don’t think things are looking good for us, as we’ve not looked good in our high pressure road games, and we’ll almost certainly have to play on the road in the playoffs and can we really string together a bunch of wins against good teams, while not at home?

Post edited by medaille on
  • StickyBunStickyBun Posts: 15,507King
    Its getting clearer that even if Minnesota wins 2 of their next 4 games, that might be enough to get into the playoffs. If they can't make it in, its a disaster at this point because yesterday was a HUGE help to their chances.