The Pick That Makes You Put Fist To Wall

JustinTime18™JustinTime18™ Posts: 15,277King
For me, it's any CB tonight...
NorseWetlanderPoipleMaroonBellskmillardpumpf

Blue Ridge Mountains circa 2020.

Comments

• ThunderGodThunderGod Posts: 1,485Jarl
    edited April 2018
    Better start checking your wall for studs now :)
    JustinTime18™AGRforeverkahsmick
    Post edited by ThunderGod on
  • BullazinBullazin Posts: 2,000Jarl
    edited April 2018
    Better start checking your wall for studs now :)
    personally, i cant use studfinders due to when i get close they start going off incessantly heheh. 

yeah QB, corner, DE, TE
    greedironJustinTime18™SFVikingFanRalphie
    Post edited by Bullazin on
  • PonifanPonifan Posts: 200Thrall
    CB in the first round?  Yep.

QB, RB, WR in the first too.

and I would not be happy with a first round TE either.
    JustinTime18™
  • greedirongreediron Posts: 8,868King
    @Ponifan said:
    CB in the first round?  Yep.

QB, RB, WR in the first too.

and I would not be happy with a first round TE either.
    lol.  Stay away from windows and stay outta the basement.
    Ralphie
  • KentisKentis Posts: 4,579Jarl
    edited April 2018
    Treadwell, 2 fucking years later!  :p 
    JustinTime18™SFVikingFan
    Post edited by Kentis on

For me it is any pick that makes someone else put their fist through a wall.  I enjoy reading about the draft picks, but nobody really knows who will work out and who won't.  Although I am sure we will hear (selectively) for years to come from some about how they knew all along about such and such pick.
  • WetlanderWetlander Posts: 3,241Jarl
    I would have a hard time being upset with any pick...  this team is loaded.  Just take the best available player whether that's a CB, TE, pass rusher, OL, etc.

The only pick that would make me put my fist through a wall is if we force an OL pick because there is a run before us.  We need some help, but don't reach for the 4th best OG.
    purplefaithfulprairieghost
  • PoiplePoiple Posts: 691Karl
    Reaching for any D.  Fix the gd O
    Vanguard83ATXVIKE
  • MaroonBellsMaroonBells Posts: 15,030King
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with BN. I wouldn't hate a CB pick, but I think it would be a big mistake.

My thought is that in a Zimmer defense, ALL corners are developmental players, so why not wait and take a developmental corner? Plenty in the middle rounds. We're so close, take someone who's going to help us right away. Someone who can help protect our 84M investment, make our receivers better, make our back better. And it's not like there's no value at OL at 30. That's exactly where the value is!

It seems pretty obvious to me...but we'll see. 
    ATXVIKE

When in doubt tell the truth - Mark Twain

• JimmyinSDJimmyinSD Posts: 17,228King
    undersized DBs.  especially without decent speed.  i havent watched the kid at all,  but I am pretty underwhelmed by the pick.

Why isnt Chuck Foreman in the hall of fame?

• purplefaithfulpurplefaithful Posts: 17,164King
    edited April 2018
    Is this kid going to be the dime back? ST'er first year. He's not going to beat out Mac or Trae or XR for gods sakes...I know Newman isnt going to be around much longer so there's that.  I suppose they felt OL and DL could be had later and their depth at CB was just too weak??

Post edited by purplefaithful on
    The 4 stages of a Viking Fans Season; Hope during the offseason, Increased hope during the season, Dagger your hopes in the postseason, Rinse & Repeat...
  • PoiplePoiple Posts: 691Karl
    Agreed.  Still with Daniels and Hernandez available.  Puzzling.  
    RS Express
  • VikergirlVikergirl Posts: 11,207King
    Hope you didn't hurt your hand. 

Punch Hand through the wall FIST  WALL DECAL 22quot x 28quot
    SFVikingFanpumpfgreedironJustinTime18™Bezerker88RalphieprairieghostFSUVikeKentisAl (The Lochstar) Heurung
  • dadevikedadevike Posts: 1,472Jarl
    my preference was Mo Hurst, then Josh Jackson, then Hughes. But I’m fine with the pick. I’ve been saying for awhile that CB is our biggest need.  
    I wanted Hurst because there is too much of a dropoff after him for a pass rushing 3-T. But no problem with Hughes.
    Hernandez is a great power scheme guard. Not great for us. I would take Connor Williams before Hernandez.
    SFVikingFanNorsemankahsmick
  • Mike OlsonMike Olson Posts: 2,248Jarl
    BN be like

SFVikingFanpumpfJustinTime18™HappyVikingBezerker88Norse

I'm pretty much sleep walking until the end of the Zimmer era.

• Geoff NicholsGeoff Nichols Posts: 1,828Jarl
    Hughes was on my short list of players I though the Vikings would consider at #30. Without knowing what the Vikings could have netted by trading back (values weren't good overall) they likely were a little stuck at their selection. My guess is the discussion came down to Hughes, Oliver, and Connor Williams. With the depth of the draft being along the interior O-line corner only made sense. 

He has a chance to make an impact in year one on the defensive side of the ball. Otherwise he was one of the best return men in the country which fills an area the Vikings struggled with in 2017. Its not a pick everyone is going to stand up and scream about, but it fills an important need. As I've said there is absolutely no depth at CB and they needed a player who could play immediately in a pinch. Hughes fits that. 

Watch them to target O-line tomorrow. They also have that comp third in 2019 in their back pocket if they're really inclined to move up the board. 
    Vanguard83pattersaurHappyVikingprairieghostKentiskahsmickAl (The Lochstar) Heurung
  • Vanguard83Vanguard83 Posts: 3,569Jarl
    What's the old saying, 

"I may not believe in the picks the Vikings make...
    but I'll defend to the death my right to bitch about it."
    pumpfgreedironSFVikingFanHappyVikingRalphieMark JandaprairieghostFSUVikeATXVIKENorsemanand 3 others.
  • pumpfpumpf Posts: 1,575Jarl
    Hughes was on my short list of players I though the Vikings would consider at #30. Without knowing what the Vikings could have netted by trading back (values weren't good overall) they likely were a little stuck at their selection. My guess is the discussion came down to Hughes, Oliver, and Connor Williams. With the depth of the draft being along the interior O-line corner only made sense. 

He has a chance to make an impact in year one on the defensive side of the ball. Otherwise he was one of the best return men in the country which fills an area the Vikings struggled with in 2017. Its not a pick everyone is going to stand up and scream about, but it fills an important need. As I've said there is absolutely no depth at CB and they needed a player who could play immediately in a pinch. Hughes fits that. 

Watch them to target O-line tomorrow. They also have that comp third in 2019 in their back pocket if they're really inclined to move up the board. 
    Where have we heard THAT before...  :p
    Poiple
  • RS ExpressRS Express Posts: 1,575Jarl
    edited April 2018
    @Poiple said:
    Agreed.  Still with Daniels and Hernandez available.  Puzzling.  

For this reason, as well as taking Hughes over Josh Jackson, I haven't been this mad since the Ponder pick.   It would be great to be wrong, but unless Hughes ends up starting at nickel this looks like a wasted pick. 
    PoipleBolstad79
    Post edited by RS Express on

I think sherels may have come to the end of an amazing run
    Ralphie
  • JustinTime18™JustinTime18™ Posts: 15,277King
    (With a pencil clinched between my teeth) Struggling to understand valuing a dimeback over a starting interior lineman...how much longer will the NFL even have KR?...oy
    kmillardMaroonBellsPoipleATXVIKERigbykahsmickRS Express

Blue Ridge Mountains circa 2020.

(With a pencil clinched between my teeth) Struggling to understand valuing a dimeback over a starting interior lineman...how much longer will the NFL even have KR?...oy
    I don't think its about valuing a dimeback. Its about valuing CB depth and a potential starting nickle corner and kick returner. I've been preaching it for week, if anything had happened to Rhodes, Waynes, or Mac they would be screwed. You can't let that derail the entire team. If the draft was only a single round they still would be better because a potential line of Reiff - Easton - Elflein - Remmers - Hill would be a better option than having to play Horace Richardson at corner. 
    Mike OlsonSkolVikings44prairieghostNorseGodsZanaryNorsemankahsmick
  • MarkSP18MarkSP18 Posts: 947Karl
    I don't think its about valuing a dimeback. Its about valuing CB depth and a potential starting nickle corner and kick returner. I've been preaching it for week, if anything had happened to Rhodes, Waynes, or Mac they would be screwed. You can't let that derail the entire team. If the draft was only a single round they still would be better because a potential line of Reiff - Easton - Elflein - Remmers - Hill would be a better option than having to play Horace Richardson at corner. 
    Exactly.  The off season moves pointed directly to corner being a need and a position where they would have good choices at the end of the 1st.  There is zero depth.  I still expect that they will bring back Newman if he wants which would really strengthen the group.

I am not sure Hernandez fits because he basically is just a mauling left guard.  Daniels is intriguing but only 20 years old and probably is going to struggle playing against older stronger players his first year or two.

I like Braden Smith, Wyatt Teller, and Colby Gossett as interior linemen to draft.
  • wivikingwiviking Posts: 279Karl

good point. Every time Rhodes got dinged and had to come out for a play, we are afraid we are going to hear the words questionable to return. We have been extremely lucky so far.
    kahsmick
  • SkolVikings44SkolVikings44 Posts: 160Thrall
    The team definitely needs o-line help, but CB is a need too. I was going to be fine with a defensive pick the team thought would help them, and CB just happened to be it.
    Before the draft, I would have been happy with in order; J. Alexander, Hughes, Jackson, or Oliver. 

As he won't be slotted to be CB1, I dont care about Hughes size. He is agressive and has play-making abilities that not too many of our current DBs have. He will contribute to this team.

There are more lineman available that can help our team than there are CBs at this point. Corbett or Tyrell Crosby are a couple of guys I'm looking to.
  • MaroonBellsMaroonBells Posts: 15,030King
    No drywall repairs this morning. No problem at all with MIke Hughes among the corners. He's a physical, playmaking corner with great ball and return chops. His character issues have been signed off on by all his coaches, meaning nothing to see there. 

I'm sure Hughes will be a great player eventually. My problem is that we used a 1st round pick on a position that just won't contribute much in 2018. Even Spielman called him a "developmental" corner. So there were no developmental corners on day two of the draft you could target while giving our OL a much needed kick in the ass?

No I'm sorry, spending a 1st rounder on a dime back, developmental corner just doesn't compute for me. Now in our secondary we have four 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder, while the unit charged with empowering Kirk Cousins and Dalvin Cook has a vacant spot inside and a weakness on the right. 

Keep that in mind as we endure 30 more selections and watch players like Hernandez and Williams and Corbett and Daniels go off the board...

PoipleRigbyNorsekahsmick

When in doubt tell the truth - Mark Twain

• NorseGodsNorseGods Posts: 29Thrall
    Any chance they take the Holton kid later on - take two CBs this draft to ensure depth...develop Holton and Hughes for year when we lose Newman and jettison Mckenzie?  For me, I wouldn't mind if we went CB, OL, CB/DT, OL, WR, RB...
    kahsmick
    Any chance they take the Holton kid later on - take two CBs this draft to ensure depth...develop Holton and Hughes for year when we lose Newman and jettison Mckenzie?  For me, I wouldn't mind if we went CB, OL, CB/DT, OL, WR, RB...
    It probably comes down to how far he falls. Would they do it in the 3rd/4th, I doubt it. But if he is still sitting there in the 5th-7th I could see them having the discussion. 

My guess is that they'll go O-line in the 2nd unless someone you can't pass on drops to them. Then after that it will be purely BPA regardless of position.
    NorseGodskahsmick
  • ATXVIKEATXVIKE Posts: 127Thrall
    Well which wall took it on the chin last night? I'm F'n smgdfh about this pick! Like I said in another thread I rarely get too alarmed regarding the draft...this was not a pick of need and no way was he BPOTB! He won't start day 1 and Sherrels will still return punts hopefully. So we have a 1st rd K returner...Patterson was that and a lot more! I wasn't posting yesterday but the only other picks I'd have issues with...not joking were RB QB K P WR in 1st rd....fist in wall picks!
    Poiple
  • BullazinBullazin Posts: 2,000Jarl
    @ATXVIKE said:
    Well which wall took it on the chin last night? I'm F'n smgdfh about this pick! Like I said in another thread I rarely get too alarmed regarding the draft...this was not a pick of need and no way was he BPOTB! He won't start day 1 and Sherrels will still return punts hopefully. So we have a 1st rd K returner...Patterson was that and a lot more! I wasn't posting yesterday but the only other picks I'd have issues with...not joking were RB QB K P WR in 1st rd....fist in wall picks!
    i heard they had him at 15 on their board.  they did not even listen to offers from how soon they got their pick in.  i looked at his  clips and saw 2 great attributes - feet and strength , with acceleration being honorable mention.  Im hoping weve found our slot for the next 4 years
    greedironJimmyinSD