Gary Kubiak plans to retire as Vikings offensive coordinator

PurpleCrushPurpleCrush Posts: 1,701Jarl

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/04/gary-kubiak-plans-to-retire-as-vikings-offensive-coordinator/

Another year, another search for an offensive coordinator in Minnesota.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Vikings offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak plans to retire.

Kubiak, 59, became assistant head coach and offensive coordinator in 2020, a year after joining the team as assistant head coach and offensive advisor. He added the coordinator role and title after offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski was hired to coach the Browns.

Stefanski became the coordinator late in the 2018 season, after John DeFilippo was fired during his first season on the job. Before that, Pat Shurmur held the job in 2017 and part of 2016, after Norv Turner resigned during the season.

Kubiak previously retired while coaching the Broncos, leaving a year after winning Super Bowl 50. He served as a senior personnel advisor with Denver in 2017 and 2018 before getting back into coaching. Before joining the Broncos, Kubiak served as head coach of the Texans from 2006 through 2013.

The Vikings will now need yet another offensive coordinator. Whether they will continue the run-centric Kubiak offense or pivot to an attack more premised on the pass remains to be seen.

Comments

• JustinTime18™JustinTime18™ Posts: 15,277King
    Death, taxes, and the Vikings replacing an OC.
    JimmyinSDKentisChuckfpurplefaithful

Blue Ridge Mountains circa 2020.

• JimmyinSDJimmyinSD Posts: 17,219King
    OK... Let the rebuild begin now.  the lone bright spot...well maybe bright isnt the most accurate term,  how about the least dim,  anyway... just hit the reset on the coaching staff now...please
    Jor-ElChuckf
    Why isnt Chuck Foreman in the hall of fame?

edited January 2021
    Or Klint moves into the OC spot.
    PSBLAKE
    Post edited by JustinTime18™ on

• BullazinBullazin Posts: 2,000Jarl
    Have to assume we will retain Dennison and the rest of the offensive coaches. Hopefully we can bring in someone to run it with a few fresh wrinkles unless Kubes Jr or Dennison can do it.  In no way do I want to completely change the system  again unless we just fire everyone and start over. I dont see that happening.  
    Or Kliff moves into the OC spot.
    @Bullazin said:
    Have to assume we will retain Dennison and the rest of the offensive coaches. Hopefully we can bring in someone to run it with a few fresh wrinkles unless Kubes Jr or Dennison can do it.  In no way do I want to completely change the system  again unless we just fire everyone and start over. I dont see that happening.  
    we dont exactly have a good track record with OCs that have never called plays before working under Zims "guidance and direction".
    IDVikingfankmillard

@Bullazin said:
    we dont exactly have a good track record with OCs that have never called plays before working under Zims "guidance and direction".
    Yeah stefanski was pretty good but im convinced Z is more involved  in Offensive playcalling situationally than I would like. 
    @Bullazin said:
    @Bullazin said:
    Yeah stefanski was pretty good but im convinced Z is more involved  in Offensive playcalling situationally than I would like. 
    Stefanski had Kubiak in his ear and as a buffer,  who would be that guy if Kubiak retires?  it would have to be somebody that Zimmer respects or else they wont be able to keep Zim out of young Kubiaks ear/head.

• StickyBunStickyBun Posts: 15,517King
    Its funny how the best playcallers usually have the best players. I'm sure it'll be fine. Maybe we pass a little more but 35 passing TDs and 4200+ yards thru the air seemed more than fine in this 'run heavy' offense I keep hearing about. 

Trust me, it ain't the OC I'm going to be worried about, its the defense. 
    JustinTime18™MaroonBellsHawkvike25PurpleCrushPSBLAKEAGRforeverKentisHappyVikingVanguard83
  • pattersaurpattersaur Posts: 2,647Jarl
    Ugh. Round and round we go
  • MaroonBellsMaroonBells Posts: 15,030King
    Its funny how the best playcallers usually have the best players. I'm sure it'll be fine. Maybe we pass a little more but 35 passing TDs and 4200+ yards thru the air seemed more than fine in this 'run heavy' offense I keep hearing about. 

Trust me, it ain't the OC I'm going to be worried about, its the defense. 
    Right? I don't get that either. 

When in doubt tell the truth - Mark Twain

Or Klint moves into the OC spot.
    This is what I would lobby for. Continuity. 

Anthony Lynn would be a Zim candidate.

• Hawkvike25Hawkvike25 Posts: 2,153Jarl
    If we get an OC under 40 prepare for 2,000 yards and 20 td's from Jefferson next year. Kidding, but not really #bestwideoutever
    If we get an OC under 40 prepare for 2,000 yards and 20 td's from Jefferson next year. Kidding, but not really #bestwideoutever
    Ageist. Boomer lives matter. 
    JustinTime18™KentisChuckf

• PurpleCrushPurpleCrush Posts: 1,701Jarl
    OR....Hue Jackson! I kid, I kid, or am I???
  • VikergirlVikergirl Posts: 11,207King
    The common denominator is Zimmer. 6th OC in 6 years
    Norseminny65
    edited January 2021
    The common denominator is Zimmer. 6th OC in 6 years
    5 actually. Norv, Pat, Flip, Stef and Kubes. One is retiring and two others were promoted to HC. IOW, because of good things not bad. 

Edit: Oh I see what you're saying. The new guy will BE the 6th OC. Yep. 
    Post edited by MaroonBells on

• VikergirlVikergirl Posts: 11,207King
  • supafreak84supafreak84 Posts: 3,181Jarl
    Adam Gase anyone? Lol

For those bitching about Cousins...this will be his 6th offensive coordinator in 6 years
    Zanary
  • pattersaurpattersaur Posts: 2,647Jarl
    I’d blow a gasket! Lynn was brutal for the Chargers this year 
  • Hawkvike25Hawkvike25 Posts: 2,153Jarl
    Ageist. Boomer lives matter. 
    Haha touche. Can you imagine Cousins' stats with Kellen Moore as OC? He would throw for an insane amount of yards.
  • mgobluevikesmgobluevikes Posts: 1,280Jarl
    Darell Bevell will be looking for a job...
  • mblackmblack Posts: 1,577Jarl
    what @supafreak84 said:
    Adam Gase anyone? Lol

For those bitching about Cousins...this will be his 6th offensive coordinator in 6 years
    what has teh stability on the defensive side given us? I say it should be a full clean house
    kmillardJimmyinSD
    They can then screw up the clock management together. 'Great' match
    pattersaur
  • Jor-ElJor-El Posts: 2,362Jarl
    @Bullazin said:
    Why assume that? Someone may lobby for a DeFilippo type. As many people have pointed out, Mike Zimmer loves adding coaches because they have "former head coach" on their resume. Maybe an outsider wants his own coaches, or even hates the ZBS that we have drafted OL to support. Or maybe we hire Hue Jackson but tell him he has to retain Dennison and staff, but as with adding guys like Capers, we end up with another coordinator who doesn't have free reign and contributions are muddled.

Sorry, this is another minefield for this team.

And not that my opinion counts, but I would try to bring Shurmur back. Would be interesting to see if he would return.
    jargomcfargo
    @Jor-El said:
    @Bullazin said:
    Why assume that? Someone may lobby for a DeFilippo type. As many people have pointed out, Mike Zimmer loves adding coaches because they have "former head coach" on their resume. Maybe an outsider wants his own coaches, or even hates the ZBS that we have drafted OL to support. Or maybe we hire Hue Jackson but tell him he has to retain Dennison and staff, but as with adding guys like Capers, we end up with another coordinator who doesn't have free reign and contributions are muddled.

And not that my opinion counts, but I would try to bring Shurmur back. Would be interesting to see if he would return.
    Vic Fangio already put out word that Pat S. is not going anywhere. And yes, that would have been a good option
    @Jor-El said:
    @Bullazin said:

I assume because I believe the Wilfs value what we have. This offense is playoff caliber and bringing a new system in would be risky with the current personnel. 

If the Wilfs blow it up, which I think is 5% chance or less, thats a whole ‘nother story. 
    edited January 2021
    The ' best' option to maintain continuity is to promote Rick Dennison to OC. He was also the OC for Kubiak in Denver so he has been down this road before. The 'problem' with that is he was also the OC for the Bills when Josh Allen struggled and his offense ranked 29th. You could also argue that he was one of the guys who 'identified' Allen as the QB for the Bills.
    Bullazin
    Post edited by mblack on
  • comet52comet52 Posts: 2,262Jarl
    Looking forward to another year of Mediocre Mike at the helm, does it really matter which guys he brings in to assist?  They all eventually fail in one way or another because the guy at the top is the real failure.  Not a HC, just a DC in over his head.  Way over.
    Jor-El