Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cut the BS with the Anthem. Stop .gov from paying
http://www.snopes.com/nfl-sideline-anthem/

So in 2009 the military started paying the NFL to "require" the teams be present for the National Anthem.  This was done presumably to increase enlistees through showing patriotism etc.  By my calculations the NFL is getting roughly $3.3M per season from the military to do the song and dance with the Anthem. 

If Trump truly wanted this Anthem crap to stop all he'd have to do is use his "pen and phone" and stop paying the NFL.  The problem is, this argument isn't about conservatives or liberals or republicans or democrats.  Its just a big friggin ruses to keep the masses pissed at each other over stupid stuff and not even question the rest of the BS going on in DC and around the country. 

As many here know I lean conservative almost entirely on my fiscal stances.  This country cannot afford a war with North Korea or Russia or even another decade in the desert.  

So please see this anthem BS for what it is.  A distraction rather than a symbol of patriotism. 

Did not realize they payed for that. Are you sure it is for the requirement to be present at the anthem, or is it for the promotion BS during November? 

Absolutely stop the charade and cut off the $.  It is indeed a silly distraction.

Quote: @greediron said:
Did not realize they payed for that. Are you sure it is for the requirement to be present at the anthem, or is it for the promotion BS during November? 

Absolutely stop the charade and cut off the $.  It is indeed a silly distraction.

WHAT'S TRUE

NFL players were not required to be on the field during the playing of the U.S. national anthem prior to 2009.

As recently as 2015, the Department of Defense was doling out millions
to the NFL for such things as military flyovers, flag unfurlings,
emotional color guard ceremonies, enlistment campaigns, and —
interestingly enough — national anthem performances. Additionally,
according to Vice, the NFL’s policy on players standing for the national
anthem also changed in 2009, with athletes “encouraged”
thereafter to participate. Prior to that, teams were not given any
specific instructions on the matter; some chose to remain in the locker
room until after opening ceremonies were completed. (It’s unclear
whether the policy change was implemented as a direct result of any
Defense Department contracts.)

https://thinkprogress.org/nfl-dod-nation...82cebc7cd/

screw the quit paying... sue for breech.   if those millionaires dont want to stand up because its respectful to do so or because the are getting paid to.... then they are in breech of contract if it is in writing so take their money back and walk away,  how the NFL handles their players is up to them,  but the league and its owners are apparently getting paid to do certain things... its time they pay up.

There is nothing in the NFL Rule book about the National Anthem, particularly Pages A62-63.  The operations manual is where the "recommendations" for Playing of the Anthem is laid out.  It also says such things as the home team is responsible for providing 600 towels and 500 lbs of ice to the visiting team.

Rule Book :

Here is a good opinion story from a KC Sports writer

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-col...21581.html

I also didn't see taking a knee as being disrespectful, turning your back, talking, hanging out at the Gatorade table or not getting out of line to the restroom or beer, now that would be disrespectful.  I look at it as a way of protesting inequality without being disrespectful.  Where is the dogma layed about the right hand on the heart,  what if you believe your spleen is the center of your spirit, would that be unpatriotic to put your hand on it.