Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QAnon supporter, w/ Georgia primary victory, poised to bring far-right conspiracy theory to Congress
August 11, 2020 at 8:46 p.m. CDT
Congressional Republicans came a step closer Tuesday to welcoming into their ranks a promoter of the QAnon conspiracy theory, whose adherents believe President Trump is battling a cabal of deep-state saboteurs who worship Satan and traffic children for sex.
Marjorie Taylor Greene, who has expressed support on video for the baseless theory, won a Republican primary runoff in Georgia’s 14th Congressional District, according to the Associated Press. Her victory, in a northwestern swath of the state that has favored Republicans by wide margins, sets her up to become QAnon’s first devotee in Congress.
[SNIP]
The elevation of Greene to federal office would mark a watershed for adherents of QAnon, which the FBI has identified as a potential domestic terrorism threat. The convoluted pro-Trump philosophy took shape on Internet message boards in the fall of 2017, with posts from a self-proclaimed government insider identified as “Q.” The worldview has been core to numerous violent acts, including two murders, a kidnapping, vandalism of a church and a heavily armed standoff near the Hoover Dam.

Above all, the theory’s devotees crave recognition from Trump and his allies, making a congressional victory a mark of legitimacy. At the same time, they seek the exposure of what they believe is a vast conspiracy at the heart of the American government, as well as the mass arrest of those complicit in it — mainly Democrats, celebrities and members of the media.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/08/11/marjorie-taylor-greene-georgia-qanon/#comments-wrapper

I just don't understand.

There's even a place to go for QAnon casuaties:

Reddit’s QAnon Casualties is a home for survivors of the conspiracyThe conspiracy can tear families apart.May 25, 2020, 8:04 am*
 Tech

[Image: fd64fcb6b894d836575c55961e62a280?s=50&d=...ar.png&r=g] Mike Rothschild
The conspiracy theory that President Donald Trump is leading a secret (yet public) fight to take down the deep state and its hordes of pedophiles has had ups-and-downs in the last year, from losing its home on 8chan to a glut of mainstream coverage thanks to the coronavirus pandemic and several high-profile believers making the news.
Through it all, there have still been no mass arrests or great sweeping up of Satanic cabalists. Even so, QAnon believers have kept the faith—and in the process, many have destroyed their relationships with the “normie” loved ones who aren’t taken in by the movement.  
There are now so many people who have lost someone they care about to the Tom Clancy-meets-Dan Brown militia fantasy of QAnon that they’ve formed their own community on Reddit: r/QAnonCasualties
And their stories are heartbreaking tales of husbands and wives who no longer speak, destroyed friendships, siblings who chose QAnon over their family, parents who don’t speak to their children anymore. There’s is the misery of people who have had their loved ones taken in by a joyless, violent cult that promises “pain” to the enemies of freedom, but, in reality, only delivers it to the people who love those ones who believe in it. 
R/QAnonCasualties was created in July by Reddit user Squawkomodile, who introduced the sub with a long post about their relationship with their mother was decaying as she sank deeper and deeper into QAnon.

More: https://www.dailydot.com/debug/reddit-qanon-casualties/

It's just surreal. Just seems more and more every day, America gets closer to the dystopian setting often described at the beginning of superhero movies. But, y'know, without the superheroes. 

More on Q...

https://thebulwark.com/newsletter-issue/the-world-is-burning-and-america-is-awol/
The QAnon—I’m not sure what to call it, cult? conspiracy? movement?—has been a punchline pretty much since the beginning, but I suspect that people are going to be forced to take it seriously over the next six months as its—adherents? members? believers—start showing up in Congress.

Reporters at NBC have gotten access to an internal investigation by Facebook and the results should convince pretty much everyone that QAnon isn’t a joke:
Quote:An internal investigation by Facebook has uncovered thousands of groups and pages, with millions of members and followers, that support the QAnon conspiracy theory, according to internal company documents reviewed by NBC News.The investigation’s preliminary results, which were provided to NBC News by a Facebook employee, shed new light on the scope of activity and content from the QAnon community on Facebook, a scale previously undisclosed by Facebook and unreported by the news media, because most of the groups are private.
The top 10 groups identified in the investigation collectively contain more than 1 million members, with totals from more top groups and pages pushing the number of members and followers past 3 million. It is not clear how much overlap there is among the groups.
In my darker moments I wonder if QAnon will be the most important legacy of Trumpism because it manages to marry the white nationalists, the conspiracy-minded, and the movement conservatives all under a quasi-religious framework that is unfalsifiable.
You should take these people seriously.

yeah they fear so many things, like healthcare and the environment, but mostly fear people not like them.

Just fucking appalling.  

Lunatics spouting complete nonsense are now representing the GOP in Congress.

This is why electing Trump was so dangerous.  His relentless attacks on the media while amplifying bullshit conspiracy theories has now gained enough traction that Republican nutjobs not only believe this shit but are literally electing these crazy lunatics to Congress.

Republicans are destroying this country thanks to refusing to tell Trump to STFU.

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
Just fucking appalling.  

Lunatics spouting complete nonsense are now representing the GOP in Congress.

This is why electing Trump was so dangerous.  His relentless attacks on the media while amplifying bullshit conspiracy theories has now gained enough traction that Republican nutjobs not only believe this shit but are literally electing these crazy lunatics to Congress.

Republicans are destroying this country thanks to refusing to tell Trump to STFU.
Congressional republicans, you bet. Cowards all of them. But let's be clear though, thousands, if not millions, of republicans recognize Trump for what he is and are just as appalled by him as you and me (the Lincoln Project, RVAT, etc). Let's give them some credit for having the balls to think independently and the judgement to see Trumpism for what it is. And if he's thrown out of office, they will be on the right side of history, while the cult, Q, Trumpism, etc., will be mocked and despised by scholars and historians for centuries. 

A few things...

• Although this QAnon activity is coming from the right and is pro-Trump lunacy, this really should be looked at as a broader issue. The conspiracies have now gone deep and wide. It's international and just morphs while adding new conspiracies to the list. It's some sort of cult which has grown enough to have someone who believes it likely heading to Congress. Really, Congress! The number of people buying into this is too big. The people buying in are not like your mentally unstable dude on the street talking into his shoe. People are trying to figure out how to rescue their husbands, wives, friends, etc. who were otherwise 'normal'.
  • I cringed when I read an opinion on this board that there are just as many conspiracy theories on the left as on the right. It simply became a 'your people are just as bad as our people' debate. There is no doubt there are extremes on 'both sides'. But if there is a belief that there is equal activity on the left I'd like to know about it. It needs to be called out and shut down.
  • This crap is why I had such a negative reaction to conspiracy theories being posted on this board. Posting opinions is one thing. And arguing facts is great. But spinning off into the land of conspiracies, particularly when they have been entertained for years by 45, is not healthy for our society/this country.
This is just wrong.
An Illinois woman who frequently shared QAnon conspiracy theories online was arrested on Wednesday after driving to New York with a stash of a dozen knives and threatening to "take out" Joe Biden, according to police reports and videos posted to her social media. 
In the hours preceding her arrest, 37-year-old Jessica Prim live-streamed her travel, ranting at her Facebook audience and referencing conspiracy theories while driving to New York City. In one post, she mentioned "Frazzledrip," a fictitious video that QAnon devotees insist exists on the dark web and reveals Hillary Clinton and her former aide Huma Abedin assaulting and murdering a child.
The same day, Prim posted a Facebook status reading, "Hillary Clinton and her assistant, Joe Biden and Tony Podesta need to be taken out in the name of Babylon! I can't be set free without them gone. Wake me up!!!!!"
https://www.insider.com/biden-qanon-supporter-arrested-attemp-live-streaming-trip-to-take-2020-5

Quote: @Nichelle said:
A few things...

• Although this QAnon activity is coming from the right and is pro-Trump lunacy, this really should be looked at as a broader issue. The conspiracies have now gone deep and wide. It's international and just morphs while adding new conspiracies to the list. It's some sort of cult which has grown enough to have someone who believes it likely heading to Congress. Really, Congress! The number of people buying into this is too big. The people buying in are not like your mentally unstable dude on the street talking into his shoe. People are trying to figure out how to rescue their husbands, wives, friends, etc. who were otherwise 'normal'.
  • I cringed when I read an opinion on this board that there are just as many conspiracy theories on the left as on the right. It simply became a 'your people are just as bad as our people' debate. There is no doubt there are extremes on 'both sides'. But if there is a belief that there is equal activity on the left I'd like to know about it. It needs to be called out and shut down.
  • This crap is why I had such a negative reaction to conspiracy theories being posted on this board. Posting opinions is one thing. And arguing facts is great. But spinning off into the land of conspiracies, particularly when they have been entertained for years by 45, is not healthy for our society/this country.
This is just wrong.
An Illinois woman who frequently shared QAnon conspiracy theories online was arrested on Wednesday after driving to New York with a stash of a dozen knives and threatening to "take out" Joe Biden, according to police reports and videos posted to her social media. 
In the hours preceding her arrest, 37-year-old Jessica Prim live-streamed her travel, ranting at her Facebook audience and referencing conspiracy theories while driving to New York City. In one post, she mentioned "Frazzledrip," a fictitious video that QAnon devotees insist exists on the dark web and reveals Hillary Clinton and her former aide Huma Abedin assaulting and murdering a child.
The same day, Prim posted a Facebook status reading, "Hillary Clinton and her assistant, Joe Biden and Tony Podesta need to be taken out in the name of Babylon! I can't be set free without them gone. Wake me up!!!!!"
https://www.insider.com/biden-qanon-supporter-arrested-attemp-live-streaming-trip-to-take-2020-5
This times 1000x

Maroonbells while plenty are disgusted, there are now tens of millions of schmucks who are fully converted into this wacko cult.

Remember when we used to laugh at people who read and believed shit in the National Enquirer?  “Bat Boy marries alien, baby photos inside!”

Yeah now these people are voting their own kind into running the government that they claim to despise.

This is the downfall of America.  We are past arguing policy, we are trying to convince tens of millions of what is fucking reality vs fantasy.

She is the one claiming there is no evidence that a plane crashed into the Pentagon on 9/11. Think about that for a minute. Or the people that say Sandy Hook was staged. These are awful lies that are being spread. It's dangerous on the fringe but even more dangerous when it comes into the mainstream.