Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember when we used to talk about the deficit?
It was such a very important thing (and I agree) that we would be kicking the can down the road for our grand kids... But it doesn’t get much play anymore. Funny.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/09/12/trump-is-indeed-king-debt/

On Thursday, the Treasury Department announced that the federal deficit topped $200 billion in August, bringing the total deficit for the year to more than $1 trillion. The last time the annual deficit was that high was in 2013 — which, incidentally, is about when the conservative media stopped regularly caring about the subject.
Is this thing on?

Nope. We stopped talking about deficits when Bush 1.0 said read my lips no new taxes then had to raise them. It lost him reelection and the GOP hasnt given a shit about them since then. 

On the other side. This current batch presidential hopefulls have been tripping over each other to see who can promise more free shit faster. 

Its all very sad. This will absolutley come back to bite us in the ass much quicker then anyone wants to admit. 

Quote: @Mike Olson said:
It was such a very important thing (and I agree) that we would be kicking the can down the road for our grand kids... But it doesn’t get much play anymore. Funny.

On Thursday, the Treasury Department announced that the federal deficit topped $200 billion in August, bringing the total deficit for the year to more than $1 trillion. The last time the annual deficit was that high was in 2013 — which, incidentally, is about when the conservative media stopped regularly caring about the subject.
when was the last time the defecit/debt  was seriously addressed without kicking the can down the road?   IIRC Clinton had a reduction budget that wasnt adding as much (or maybe even nothing) to the defecit,  but many of the ways that were used to cut various budgets just kicked a can down the road (infrastructure, intelligence and defense spending).  

I have said for years,  in order to get this country right in terms of debt... everybody is going to have to bleed.   taxes for all will have to go up,  tax breaks will have to disappear,  and all non essential spending programs will be slashed.  ( of course who gets to decide what is/isnt essential?)

I said this before in the other thread, but because of
fractional reserve banking, governments need to deficit spend to keep the
economy from heading towards recession.  New
debt needs to be created to prevent recessions, and either individuals must
take it through larger mortgages or other debt, corporations must take it, or
governments must take it.

There is no amount of fiscal responsibility that can be
taken on a nation-wide level.  It is
mathematically impossible for all of us to be debt/deficit free.  There is no “bleeding” for us to do that will
fix anything.  “Bleeding” is suffering,
but there’s no light at the end of the tunnel, because “bleeding” causes recession.  You can’t balance the budget without hurting
the people.

There are only two options.  Stop fractional reserve lending and move to a
sane financial system.  Stay on
fractional reserve lending and continue to use debt to keep the economy
working.

https://vikefans.com/discussion/#/discussion/9722/treasury-will-again-borrow-1-trillion-to-pay-for-tax-cuts-spending

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:

when was the last time the defecit/debt  was seriously addressed without kicking the can down the road?   IIRC Clinton had a reduction budget that wasnt adding as much (or maybe even nothing) to the defecit,  but many of the ways that were used to cut various budgets just kicked a can down the road (infrastructure, intelligence and defense spending).  

I have said for years,  in order to get this country right in terms of debt... everybody is going to have to bleed.   taxes for all will have to go up,  tax breaks will have to disappear,  and all non essential spending programs will be slashed.  ( of course who gets to decide what is/isnt essential?)
Thats the rub right there.  No one is willing to cut spending because it would hurt "their" voters so we're not going to do anything. 

Quite frankly the whole budget stuff is why I've stopped voting for either major party.  Neither has any intention of cutting anything.  Prior to this years Democratic race both sides would pay lip service to what they were going to reduce and neither did anything about it once elected.  Now we seem ready to throw some gasoline on the fire and give everything for free to everyone. 

The Republicans tried (some of them anyway) FOR YEARS to solve this problem.  But the Democrats appealed to the low-information voter and promised give-aways to everyone.  And it worked.  So.. since the Republicans couldn't beat them with logic and reason (since no one was listening), they joined them.  Congrats: we now have TWO parties who don't care about fiscal responsibility.  
If elected officials want things to work right... they govern (economically) like conservatives.  But, if they want to get elected... they have to campaign like liberals.

Quote: @pumpf said:
The Republicans tried (some of them anyway) FOR YEARS to solve this problem.  But the Democrats appealed to the low-information voter and promised give-aways to everyone.  And it worked.  So.. since the Republicans couldn't beat them with logic and reason (since no one was listening), they joined them.  Congrats: we now have TWO parties who don't care about fiscal responsibility.  
If elected officials want things to work right... they govern (economically) like conservatives.  But, if they want to get elected... they have to campaign like liberals.
I could be wrong about the “years” that the gop wanted to spend less but save Ron Paul there hasnt been a single one since Bush 1 that I can recall. 

Also reffering to liberals as “low information” is derogatory and adds nothing positive. It only pushes us apart. 

Dont stope to their level. 

If a person believes in things like a $15 minimum wage, they ARE low information,since it's failed everywhere it's been tried. Yet they still believe in it.  Why? Because they are ignorant about how economics work.

Quote: @pumpf said:
If a person believes in things like a $15 minimum wage, they ARE low information,since it's failed everywhere it's been tried. Yet they still believe in it.  Why? Because they are ignorant about how economics work.
Says the base who still votes in favor of Republican trickle down economics ... despite almost 40 years of proven failure.  Cut taxes for the rich and corporations, surely it will work this time!

Last time the budget was balanced was under Clinton, just FYI.

And really Pumpf, for all your whining about others who post bait articles and bait posts, you do the EXACT same shit with your own snide comments totally unprovoked. 

But carry on, your snarky comments are totally WWJD, so channel more of that love thy neighbor inner Jesus in your replies ... it just reinforces my and other's impression of you that you're nothing more than a hypocritical, smarmy douchebag masquerading as a holier than thou Christian, but really you're just an uneducated asshole with a superiority complex. 

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
@pumpf said:
Says the base who still votes in favor of Republican trickle down economics ... despite almost 40 years of proven failure.  Cut taxes for the rich and corporations, surely it will work this time!

Last time the budget was balanced was under Clinton, just FYI.

And really Pumpf, for all your whining about others who post bait articles and bait posts, you do the EXACT same shit with your own snide comments totally unprovoked. 

But carry on, your snarky comments are totally WWJD, so channel more of that love thy neighbor inner Jesus in your replies ... it just reinforces my and other's impression of you that you're nothing more than a hypocritical, smarmy douchebag masquerading as a holier than thou Christian, but really you're just an uneducated asshole with a superiority complex. 

Arthur Laffer just received the Presidential Medal of Freedom. 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/...affer.html

Paul Krugman just admitted he was wrong.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articl...-economics

BTW, I just posted 2 liberal sources (real clear politics/bloomberg) , that disagree with your take.  

You won't post 2 conservative sources that disagree with pumpf's take, yet you'll pretend to take some high-ground, supported by nobody.