Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Pays Large for Lying. Again.
Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
I do have to wonder if the post covid economic conditions would have happened under either Biden or Trump v2.0?

I would argue that inflation and other issues plaguing the economy were ripe (and were going to happen) regardless of who was sleeping in the White House. 

OTOH, I suspect many are quite happy looking at their personal portfolio net worth and 401k's these days. Hence the hefty spending by Americans inspite of inflation. 

The economy (and Wall St) will probably take off more in about Q3 if the Feds lower rates. 
the only thing to be happy about is that my IRA is keeping pace with inflation,  the way prices are going up, the increases in most IRAs wont cover the tax increases that will be necessary to pay off the ridiculous amount of debt the country has taken on in the last few years,  let alone leaving me much to work with in my golden years. 

i dont see them lowering rates until people quit spending like morons, its insane how people are still out there spending like there is arent any consequences.   people wont slow down their spending as long as the govt keeps printing money and handing it out to buy votes.   lowering interest rates right now IMO would just sent inflation to double digits,  especially with a president that has no compunction on buying his next 4 years with executive actions that just keep that debt calculator humming.
I just read a piece on how Americans are spending like YOLO since Covid ended...

Hell, even a god bless the usa bible will set you back $60 these days! 

[Image: trump-is-now-selling-trump-bibles-you-ha...C2%2C0%2C0]

yep, its like they are still getting those govt checks.   its insane,  we are trying to find help and despite the wage scale blowing through the roof the last couple of years,  you still cant find anybody that can pass a piss test and willing to work.  really begs the question of why biden needed to forgive all those student loans,  apparently everyone is gainfully employed and flush with cash.
I wish my kid got some govt luv on her student loans.

Here's another angle too....MN farmers are having a really difficult time trying to find workers. If they dont have access to seasonal, migrant workers out of Venezuela? Mexico? Colombia? They are out of biz...

I can’t help but see the irony in your post when compared to what the Republicans and their “chosen one” want to “fix”. But what do I know?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
I do have to wonder if the post covid economic conditions would have happened under either Biden or Trump v2.0?

I would argue that inflation and other issues plaguing the economy were ripe (and were going to happen) regardless of who was sleeping in the White House. 

OTOH, I suspect many are quite happy looking at their personal portfolio net worth and 401k's these days. Hence the hefty spending by Americans inspite of inflation. 

The economy (and Wall St) will probably take off more in about Q3 if the Feds lower rates. 
the only thing to be happy about is that my IRA is keeping pace with inflation,  the way prices are going up, the increases in most IRAs wont cover the tax increases that will be necessary to pay off the ridiculous amount of debt the country has taken on in the last few years,  let alone leaving me much to work with in my golden years. 

i dont see them lowering rates until people quit spending like morons, its insane how people are still out there spending like there is arent any consequences.   people wont slow down their spending as long as the govt keeps printing money and handing it out to buy votes.   lowering interest rates right now IMO would just sent inflation to double digits,  especially with a president that has no compunction on buying his next 4 years with executive actions that just keep that debt calculator humming.
I just read a piece on how Americans are spending like YOLO since Covid ended...

yep, its like they are still getting those govt checks.   its insane,  we are trying to find help and despite the wage scale blowing through the roof the last couple of years,  you still cant find anybody that can pass a piss test and willing to work.  really begs the question of why biden needed to forgive all those student loans,  apparently everyone is gainfully employed and flush with cash.

Here's another angle too....MN farmers are having a really difficult time trying to find workers. If they dont have access to seasonal, migrant workers out of Venezuela? Mexico? Colombia? They are out of biz...

construction workers too,  farmers are at least able to use a federal program to bring in workers from other countries, not as easy for other industries.  
I thought we wanted to keep foreigners out as they are taking “our” jobs.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

Same in Iowa, meat packers are having same issues. Tyson just shut down a plant in Perry, it isn't productive enough, ie. can't pay enough low wages to make up for automation, even though it's legal to hire minors on the line now.  Oh well we got a great tax cut.
Now that’s American greatness right there!

Quote: @mblack said:

@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

construction workers too,  farmers are at least able to use a federal program to bring in workers from other countries, not as easy for other industries.  
No,  we want to keep illegals out,  never had any issue with those that go through the legal channels.  Maybe if we weren't spending so much having to protect our southern border and deal with all the illegals streaming in there would be more resources available to process legal enrltry.

@mblack said:

@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

No,  we want to keep illegals out,  never had any issue with those that go through the legal channels.  Maybe if we weren't spending so much having to protect our southern border and deal with all the illegals streaming in there would be more resources available to process legal enrltry.
Hmm. Glad to hear you say that. However that’s not the message that’s being spread. There are many legal foreigners that get harassed everyday. 
The legal channel is not that much better (not saying I agree). Many foreigners get out of status waiting for the legal process. Many lobbied for that to be improved. It’s part of the proposal that someone does not want adopted.

Hmm. Glad to hear you say that. However that’s not the message that’s being spread. There are many legal foreigners that get harassed everyday. 
The legal channel is not that much better (not saying I agree). Many foreigners get out of status waiting for the legal process. Many lobbied for that to be improved. It’s part of the proposal that someone does not want adopted.
That's the chewy center of the problem, as our immigration/naturalization processes have been known to be absolute obsolete and ridiculous junk for generations, but it'd take Congress to fix the problem...and let's face it, they don't fix problems. The age-old joke about "the opposite of progress is...congress" rings as absolute truth in this country.

Any attempt to make the process simpler/easier, and you're a pinko-commie for opening the floodgates. If you somehow made it more draconian (tough to imagine, but...), you're an isolationist, xenophobic, nationalist wanting a return to plantations and nepotism.

This is yet another reason why I hate our duopoly: more parties would make for more approaches and less absolutism.

@JimmyinSD said:
@mblack said:

@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

Who is spreading the message to harass those here legally?  

Honestly I don't think either party wants ro fix immigration,  they've both had their chances for decades yet here we still are.  

The issues aren't the problem,  the problem is those that have been pit in power and the people that control them that profit from the status quo.

Who is spreading the message to harass those here legally?  

Honestly I don't think either party wants ro fix immigration,  they've both had their chances for decades yet here we still are.  

The issues aren't the problem,  the problem is those that have been pit in power and the people that control them that profit from the status quo.
Again, why I snarl about the duopoly: more parties and more shades of purple (between red and blue, so to speak) would lead to greater chances for compromises, newer ideas, and a chance to break free from "us vs. them" absolutism. The political theater in this country has programmed too many people to essentially think in binary.

I can’t help but see the irony in your post when compared to what the Republicans and their “chosen one” want to “fix”. But what do I know?
You do realize there is a big difference in legal and illegal immigration don't you????  Those jobs should and would be filled by vetted and documented workers if all the resources weren't devoted to providing concierge service to illegals at the border.  Imagine that...vetting workers and placing them in jobs which need filling rather than just a free for all at the border.  10 million+ unvetted asylum seekers have streamed in to the Country in the last 3 years..almost double the population of Minnesota.

Quote: @badgervike said:
@mblack said:
You do realize there is a big difference in legal and illegal immigration don't you????  Those jobs should and would be filled by vetted and documented workers if all the resources weren't devoted to providing concierge service to illegals at the border.  Imagine that...vetting workers and placing them in jobs which need filling rather than just a free for all at the border.  10 million+ unvetted asylum seekers have streamed in to the Country in the last 3 years..almost double the population of Minnesota.
In this, we are totally agreed.  In 3 decades down there, I got to know a lot of people that came over legally, illegally, etc...but even those that were "coyote'd" in during their childhood wanted stronger borders when they got older. Sleepy Joe and his VP Ho are worse than useless at border security, and even the laughably ironic continuation of bits of the "wall" is woefully inadequate.

Fixing immigration is a massive mess, as stated in posts and discussion above. However, when our vacuous dips**t prez and our babbling vacancy at VP both continually make the the border issues worse by literally inviting the hordes of asylum seekers (way to go, Joe) and...well, just babbling entire paragraphs of nothing (back under the desk, Kamala)...they aren't helping anything.

Would the sunkist skidmark improve anything? I doubt it, he'd likely make a ton of blather, sign off on approaches that aren't thought out and end up with more time in damage control than enforcement, and (hopefully) get interrupted as he's incarcerated for felonies #34-57 in the running series...so, we need more options.