Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Training camp has arrived
(07-30-2024, 03:04 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: I'm assuming it's just part of O'Connell's evaluation process.  He's reportedly looked good and noticably improved from where he was at in OTAs.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a Herbert, Burrow, Stroud situation where he comes in and plays great from Day 1, but I'd like to see the veteran Darnold play well and let McCarthy get the Culpepper, Mahomes, Hurts, Love treatment and not have to play his rookie year.

Same. I'm pretty stoked about what we're hearing about JJ, but it also makes me very nervous that KOC might be tempted to start him before he's 100% ready. Based on fan reaction, Darnold is going to get one incompletion we start hearing the chants...and this is not good. 

I'd love to believe "hey, he's ready now! 5 TDs yesterday!" but we've got to put it all in context. 

Still, I'm going to allow myself a little hot diggity damn. Long way to go and there's a big difference between 11s and game action, but we just might...MIGHT...have hit on our QBOTF and that would be HUGE news for all who bleed purple.

(07-31-2024, 03:34 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Same. I'm pretty stoked about what we're hearing about JJ, but it also makes me very nervous that KOC might be tempted to start him before he's 100% ready. Based on fan reaction, Darnold is going to get one incompletion we start hearing the chants...and this is not good. 

I'd love to believe "hey, he's ready now! 5 TDs yesterday!" but we've got to put it all in context. 

Still, I'm going to allow myself a little hot diggity damn. Long way to go and there's a big difference between 11s and game action, but we just might...MIGHT...have hit on our QBOTF and that would be HUGE news for all who bleed purple.

Yep, its encouraging but in no way definitive by any means yet. He is locking into the primary read, which is very normal when learning a playbook and being a rookie QB in the NFL less than a week into his first training camp. 

But here's where I get excited: the accuracy. He's more accurate than I thought he'd be starting out, it was my primary weakness for McCarthy. I knew he'd be a quick learner, taking concepts and new mechanics and quickly implementing them. I knew he's a leader, its showing by how his teammates and coaches respond to him. I knew the fans would quickly fall in love. I knew he'd be calm, collected and driven. What I didn't know was how long it would take for the accuracy, throwing limited passes his senior year in a run-heavy scheme....and its there early. He might turn into a Joe Burrow type with a better arm. That should excite fans. 

Long way to go. But.....giddyup so far.

Purple FTW! Podcast
@PurpleForTheWin
McCarthy has a magnetism about him. It's hard not to like him. His teammates would definitely go to his birthday party.

The kid has a cannon, didnt know that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(07-31-2024, 08:02 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: The kid has a cannon, didnt know that.

That was one of the strangest rumors before the Combine I'd heard recently about a prospect and how utterly wrong it was. I read it pre-Combine and I'm like what?? A few lazy, lazy media people put out a wrong narrative and a few other lazier sports media people validate it by pushing it forward. Dumbest thing ever.

(07-30-2024, 08:02 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: I read he was 4-6 with 4 TDs in red zone work today...

BOOM

[-] The following 2 users Like badgervike's post:

(07-31-2024, 03:34 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Same. I'm pretty stoked about what we're hearing about JJ, but it also makes me very nervous that KOC might be tempted to start him before he's 100% ready. Based on fan reaction, Darnold is going to get one incompletion we start hearing the chants...and this is not good. 

Stop worrying so much, jeez. JJM will be fine. I expect him to be starting by week 6 because Sam will be the same guy he's always been--it's already happening just as I have foreseen (insert evil Star Wars sith meme here). Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like comet52's post:

Robert Tonyan carted off... :-(

Really liked that signing with Hock likely being out the first 4-6 weeks.

Hopefully it's not as serious as it sounds.

(07-31-2024, 04:53 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: Robert Tonyan carted off...  :-(

Really liked that signing with Hock likely being out the first 4-6 weeks.

Hopefully it's not as serious as it sounds.

Seifert says it's back spasms

https://twitter.com/mattanderson_8/status/1818771840711770469?s=12&t=Fsf-dv40gyKIlBgIxBE2dg

JJ with a big time throw to the left against live defense...

BOOM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAD GAINZ's post: