Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: White privilege
Ok just asked my white privlaged wife about juneteenth. She had never heard of it in MN (obviously not as enlightened as you guys think) but did hear about it after we moved to the South in the early 00s. 

She did say this is the first time she’s ever heard it discussed on the national news. (nbc)

Quote: @AGRforever said:
Ok just asked my white privlaged wife about juneteenth. She had never heard of it in MN (obviously not as enlightened as you guys think) but did hear about it after we moved to the South in the early 00s. 

She did say this is the first time she’s ever heard it discussed on the national news. (nbc)
I had never heard of Juneteenth before. Ever. I've lived in Michigan, Wisconsin, Kansas City and now south Florida.

I don't even watch national news but the local 24 hr news' weather, sports and traffic news was even talking about this stiff. Is something important and shaking going on?
I had to check my fridge. Thank goodness I'm cheap. My generic pancake syrup can't possibly offend anybody.
Edit stuff not stiff...lol Freudian?

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
My generic pancake syrup can't possibly offend anybody.
Ha ha, my wife hates this about me: I love cheap pancake syrup. Grew up with natural maple syrup fresh from the trees in Upper Michigan....always had it in the house growing up......but my Mom had to get me some cheap syrup from the grocery store because I hated real maple syrup. lol.

Juneteenth Search History in Google

[Image: 5josLlZ.png]

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:

@suncoastvike said:
I feel privileged that Google play felt me worthy of putting Juneteenth on my calendar. Now I had to Google what Google added. So how will you celebrate?
I dont think most people even knew what juneteenth was until orange man bad schedualed a campaign a rally on that date. 
Lemme guess, you live in a very small, white town? Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

Interesting how Trump says nobody had ever heard of Juneteenth until he scheduled that rally and then you hear that very same thing from conservatives everywhere. It's almost like there's a news network out there broadcasting all of his talking points. 
CNN isn't great, but FoxNews is despicable. Like when the Obamas took office and did the fist bump thing.....said it was 'terrorist' related.....its just fucking disgusting. Anyway, I digress. No minds will be changed in America any longer. 
This...

White, Conservative America wont change their view and neither will the libs for that matter. 

Ultimately, I think Trump was shrewd when he said "I can shoot a person on 5th avenue in broad daylight and still get elected"

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
CNN isn't great, but FoxNews is despicable. Like when the Obamas took office and did the fist bump thing.....said it was 'terrorist' related.....its just fucking disgusting. Anyway, I digress. No minds will be changed in America any longer. 
This...

... removed ...

White, Conservative America wont change their view and neither will the libs for that matter. 

... removed ...

I don't believe this at all.  The overton window has shifted tremendously in the last decade.  People are changing dramatically.  The democratic party is splitting into two groups, a progressive faction and an establishment faction.  The republican party has similarly shifted towards populism.  Only the most brainwashed people trust the media anymore, as it's got a lower approval rating than the government.  People are rapidly understanding that their beliefs have been programmed into them by the media and are becoming more open-minded towards things.  The people's response to the George Floyd incident is dramatically more empathetic than what happened in previous similar events, and people are open to real change and real reform much more than they were in the past.

Quote: @medaille said:
@purplefaithful said:
@StickyBun said:
This...

Doesn't matter how badly a Pandemic was managed, the lives lost that can be quantified by that mis-management, how much our prestige and influence in the world has eroded -while China's grows, how many kids will be separated from parents and deported, how many policy decisions are being made purely for political reasons, how many pages are being dusted-off from the fascist playbook...

Trump was shrewd when he said "I can shoot a person on 5th avenue in broad daylight and still get elected"

I don't believe this at all.  The overton window has shifted tremendously in the last decade.  People are changing dramatically.  The democratic party is splitting into two groups, a progressive faction and an establishment faction.  The republican party has similarly shifted towards populism.  Only the most brainwashed people trust the media anymore, as it's got a lower approval rating than the government.  People are rapidly understanding that their beliefs have been programmed into them by the media and are becoming more open-minded towards things.  The people's response to the George Floyd incident is dramatically more empathetic than what happened in previous similar events, and people are open to real change and real reform much more than they were in the past.
I actually edited my post to remove some of the content, I just dont want to vent today to that degree... But you quoted me before hand.

I do agree about the splintering of parties...The conservative Republican party I used to belong to is long-gone.

Where its going off the rails for me is that the Trump playbook and dogma is far right and the consequences of this is dangerous and hugely negative for the country from my vantage point. 

I hope the peoples response to Floyd is lasting. Seeing all those whities out protesting tells me this may be very different from the civil rights protests of the 60's. My hope is with the youth.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:

@suncoastvike said:
I feel privileged that Google play felt me worthy of putting Juneteenth on my calendar. Now I had to Google what Google added. So how will you celebrate?
I dont think most people even knew what juneteenth was until orange man bad schedualed a campaign a rally on that date. 
Lemme guess, you live in a very small, white town? Not that there's anything wrong with that. 

Interesting how Trump says nobody had ever heard of Juneteenth until he scheduled that rally and then you hear that very same thing from conservatives everywhere. It's almost like there's a news network out there broadcasting all of his talking points. 
I live in a medium sized town?  Probably 100k in the county?  I dont follow Trump or fox news, scouts honor.  I came up with it all on my own. 

If it makes you feel any better half our “friend group” is either of color or immigrants. Israel, Turkey, Jamaica and even some home grown people of non-white privlage. 

Last friendsgiving we did a cultural dishes potluck which was fun. I very much enjoy talking about cultural differences and how the world sees America and Americans. You liberals seem hellbent on lableing every non democrat a racist and it is just a big pile of BS. In fact it seems to me that the ones who always see color are you guys because it continues to sow division which is good for you in November. 
I think prejudice is a bigger and more insidious problem than racism. It's far more more widespread and inscrutable. Even tolerated.

One doesn't have to believe in a racial hierarchy to pre-judge others differently based on the color of their skin. But it's that pre-judgement that gets us every time. Whether it's the out of control "Karen-ing" or police brutality, it's a problem many of us don't even know we have. 

Don't get me wrong, I think racism is alive and well in America, but there are millions of Americans who would angrily deny being a racist simply because they know they don't advocate institutional discrimination. But many of those very same people can be extremely prejudiced and think nothing's wrong.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:

@suncoastvike said:

I live in a medium sized town?  Probably 100k in the county?  I dont follow Trump or fox news, scouts honor.  I came up with it all on my own. 

If it makes you feel any better half our “friend group” is either of color or immigrants. Israel, Turkey, Jamaica and even some home grown people of non-white privlage. 

Last friendsgiving we did a cultural dishes potluck which was fun. I very much enjoy talking about cultural differences and how the world sees America and Americans. You liberals seem hellbent on lableing every non democrat a racist and it is just a big pile of BS. In fact it seems to me that the ones who always see color are you guys because it continues to sow division which is good for you in November. 
I think prejudice is a bigger and more insidious problem than racism. It's far more more widespread and inscrutable. Even tolerated.

One doesn't have to believe in a racial hierarchy to pre-judge others differently based on the color of their skin. But it's that pre-judgement that gets us every time. Whether it's the out of control "Karen-ing" or police brutality, it's a problem many of us don't even know we have. 

Don't get me wrong, I think racism is alive and well in America, but there are millions of Americans who would angrily deny being a racist simply because they know they don't advocate institutional discrimination. But many of those very same people can be extremely prejudiced and think nothing's wrong.
But isnt predjudice a normal and inevitable part of human condtion?  We all look to be with people we’re comfotable with. When we look for mates we look for ones that prolong our species. All animals do its part of being alive. 

I can tell you theres many many great white, brown, black and every color inbetween people out there. Theres also idiots of every type out there. I dont hang out with idiots just because we have the same pigmentation in our skin. 

Look at something not color related like tattoos or pericings. If some person all “tatted up” with a cow sized bull ring in their nose and dinner plates in their ears approches me I’m probably have a hard time relating to them...certainly at first even if theyre a great person underneith. 

Take another example, if some dude wore a red trump hat and a cnn fake news teeshirt walked up to many liberals on this board theyed have the exact same reaction.