Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
JJM v Maye
(04-08-2024, 05:54 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: God, still almost 3 weeks to go lol.

One more day of rumors & forever to go!

(04-08-2024, 04:45 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: Unlike the rest of the QB's, where Penix and Nix end-up are such big questions marks...

Brees dropped to the top of Round 2 in 2001 because of his 6-foot size and questions about whether his arm strength was tapped out. Now? He's a lock for the Hall of Fame in 2026. Nix, my fifth-ranked quarterback in this class, is a little taller at 6-2, but he has some of the same questions, especially coming from an Oregon offense that saw him throw quick and short. But when I watch Nix throw with precision, I see a lot of Brees' accuracy in him. -- Mel Kiper Jr., NFL draft analyst

Fucking kiper stealing my take,  I had written a post 2 days ago about how I thought Nix reminded ME of Brees in a lot of his tape....but of course I didn't post it.  Now the hair gets the credit.

I think ultimately, JJM will be the guy if the Vikings do trade up. I think the smokescreen about New England and Washington also liking him is meant to drive up their asking price for a team looking to move up. I feel like MN sees him as a close #2 option

I think Maye is actually the #1 guy they want but the cost is gonna be too big to jump to 3+ to get him. I think the best case scenario for Minnesota is that the “rumors” are actually true and a team in the top 3 does fall in love with JJM and allows Maye to slide.

I feel like they worked out Penix for over 100 throws because they really needed to see if he can even hack it. Penix is the “break glass in case of emergency” pick, IMO. If he gets picked, they will be disappointed (of course they won’t say that). And I can almost guarantee they’ll plan on being in the exact same position they are next season. Possibly looking to spend a huge chunk of that cap space on a free agent QB if one becomes available.

I don’t think Nix is even on their Radar

The only outlier I can’t figure out is Jayden Daniels. Did KAM trade for Dobbs last year because THAT’S actually the type of QB KOC wants or was that a strictly “GM move”? The only thing giving me pause here is that this is the only QB other than Williams they haven’t worked out. Either they just assume he’s going #2 or they’re trying to play poker to see if they can get him to slip.

I still chuckle every time I see a mock draft online and it lists JJM's weight at 202 lbs, lol. He weighed 219 lbs at the Combine. He's strong and solid. He's got the athleticism, speed and arm strength to move out of or avoid many sacks or hard hits. He's going to get tagged some running, but he'll learn. He's got a build like Jordan Love.

(04-09-2024, 11:31 PM)CFIAvike Wrote: I think ultimately, JJM will be the guy if the Vikings do trade up. I think the smokescreen about New England and Washington also liking him is meant to drive up their asking price for a team looking to move up. I feel like MN sees him as a close #2 option

I think Maye is actually the #1 guy they want but the cost is gonna be too big to jump to 3+ to get him. I think the best case scenario for Minnesota is that the “rumors” are actually true and a team in the top 3  does fall in love with JJM and allows Maye to slide.

I feel like they worked out Penix for over 100 throws because they really needed to see if he can even hack it. Penix is the “break glass in case of emergency” pick, IMO. If he gets picked, they will be disappointed (of course they won’t say that). And I can almost guarantee they’ll plan on being in the exact same position they are next season. Possibly looking to spend a huge chunk of that cap space on a free agent QB if one becomes available.

I don’t think Nix is even on their Radar

The only outlier I can’t figure out is Jayden Daniels. Did KAM trade for Dobbs last year because THAT’S actually the type of QB KOC wants or was that a strictly “GM move”? The only thing giving me pause here is that this is the only QB other than Williams they haven’t worked out. Either they just assume he’s going #2 or they’re trying to play poker to see if they can get him to slip.

If we're to believe the tea leaves, this is accurate. In other words, the Vikings are either brilliant or clueless when it comes to disguising their intentions. 

Regarding Daniels, remember to add Brissett. They reportedly wanted him and were declined before turning attention to Dobbs. Both are bigger, mobile QBs with requisite arm strength. But neither is the kind of runner Daniels is.

(04-10-2024, 07:40 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: If we're to believe the tea leaves, this is accurate. In other words, the Vikings are either brilliant or clueless when it comes to disguising their intentions. 

Regarding Daniels, remember to add Brissett. They reportedly wanted him and were declined before turning attention to Dobbs. Both are bigger, mobile QBs with requisite arm strength. But neither is the kind of runner Daniels is.

They definitely had interest in Brissett. Just weren't going to give up a high draft pick to get him, he isn't worth that. KOC is on the record suggesting a QB who can threaten the defense with his legs is ideal. My only concern with Daniels is that although he has all the athletic ability in the world he doesn't avoid pressure all that well. If you start to watch his rushing plays the majority are him seeing an opening vs. escaping pressure, which NFL teams will be able to take away.

Not that Kwesi listens to me, but hear me out.
Both Nix and Penex are now in the conversation about possible first round picks (and our hand might be forced at 11 since Denver and the Raiders are BOTH appearing to be serious about a QB, likely decreasing the possibility of picking one of those two guys at either 23 or later).
Group consensus now is that EVERY ONE of the top six QBs has holes and the assurances of trading up "to get our guy" rarely works...
Please Kwesi, if you would listen to me, DON'T mortgage our future by trying to move up.
Sit tight, you're in an awesome position with 11 and 23. This is a unique year with a half dozen QBs in the first round conversation.
Pick up an anchor to our IDL with #23. It appears that at least 3 of the top 4 IDL men will be still available.
Let all the pundits, fans, sportswriters theorize endlessly about packaging picks and trading up for one QB over another.
Keep playing poker with KOC and don't tip your hand until your pick at #11 comes up. Sit tight and don't get cute.

It's a compelling argument, but I'm just the opposite...

If (and only if) they got a guy leagues above the others? They trust their system and process?

Swing for the fences if you're the Vikings.

If they hit with a face of the franchise for the next 10 years? Nobody will give a hoot about a lost #1 pick in 25.

(04-10-2024, 06:31 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: It's a compelling argument, but I'm just the opposite...

If (and only if) they got a guy leagues above the others? They trust their system and process?

Swing for the fences  if you're the Vikings.

If they hit with a face of the franchise for the next 10 years? Nobody will give a hoot about a lost #1 pick in 25.

I get the argument. But I'm more with you on this one. To me it comes down to trusting your process. If all your film study and research tells you that there is very little difference between Maye, Mac, Nix and Penix, then sure, stay where you are. 

But if all that research tells you there is one particular prospect who stands out, who fits this offense best, then go get that guy and if you need to add the '25 1st, so be it.