W - Packers, Giants
L - Cowboys x2, Giants, Lions, Steelers
2017 - 2-8
W - Rams, Seahawks
L - Eagles x2, Cowboys x2, Chiefs, Vikings, Saints, Chargers
2018 - 1-6 
W - Eagles
L - Rams, Saints, Bears x2, Patriots, Seahawks
Total - 5-25 Against teams that finish with a winning record.
Only one of those seasons was with a good team.  Last year, yes: Cousins- as our starting QB- went 1-6 vs. winning teams.  BUT...
  • In 2 of those games, he had a QB rating over 107.  Yet he gets "credit" for the loss.
  • vs. the Pats, their whole defense was set up to stop the pass.  They didn't even try to stop the run.  Hence, Cook was averaging over 9 yards a carry.  But he only had 9 carries.  
  • vs. the Bears, Cook only had 9 carries... for 12 yards.  Cousins wasn't great either (30/46 for 262; 2 TD & 2 INT), but it's pretty obvious that he wasn't the sole reason for the loss.
  • The OL last year allowed Cousins to be pressured than (almost) every other QB.  They also were 23rd in rush yards per attempt, and that was with Cook and Murray.
Yeah, those are "excuses"... but there is a kernal of truth in them.  And it's this: the QB is not the sole reason that teams win- or lose.  Cousins played on bad teams for most of his career.  THAT'S why "he" has such a crappy record.  And, unless someone is going to make the case that last year's team was a good team (maybe it was... but the OC and the OL pretty much doomed our offense), that would include last year.  

Like I said: IF the Falcons can somehow end up with a winning record this year (good job by JR44 pointing out that they were NOT a winning team last year), then Cousins would get credit for a W vs. a winning team.  Yet we know that he had very little to do with last Sunday's win.  That's really the bottom line for me: that TEAMS win... or lose.  And it's dumb to give the QB most of the credit (or blame) for the team's record.  
Just posted the record because I had already done it and you seemed to question whether it was real.  I'm not trying to change your mind and it seems like you already have your mind made up.

I will say this, Matt Ryan was awful in week 1.  He was a huge reason the Falcons lost that game.  Was he the sole reason the Falcons lost?  No, but even decent QB play would have changed the results.  Yet at the end of the game, Ryan had 304 yards and 2 TDs, to go along with those 2 INTs.  Decent "stats".  But Ryan gained 127 of those yards and the 2 TDs in the 4th quarter after being down by 28 points.  Meaningless stat accumulation which masks how bad he actually played through 3 quarters of that game.

Actually I prefer a healthy run game - chews the clock - rests the D.  Only stats I like to see inflated are TOP.

Just wanna win.

KC is more than a capable QB, smart, accurate, I really have no worries about him & glad he's here.

Quote: @JR44 said:
The Falcons were 7-9 last year and do not look like they are going to improve on that, so don't see them having a winning record this year.  I am sure you can go through the 25 losses and find some that are not on him, however when you are 4-25 against winning teams there is a major problem, there is no way of getting around that.  And we saw it first hand last year, he never stepped up in our big games.  I hope he turns it around and he has the talent around him to do so, but he is going to have change some things in his game to do so.  
I agree with the tenor of your post, but you're wrong about the Falcons. And I'd bet you a trip to Burnsville that they will have a winning record this year. That team was decimated by injuries last year. They had 6 starters on IR last year. Both starting guards, both starting safeties, their starting RB and their best LB were on IR. Much of their DL, including Grady Jarrett, missed games as well.

I wouldn't put them up with the Eagles, Patriots, Rams, etc. But this was a good team we beat. 

Actually, KC going 8 of 10 and a sweet TD toss was a huge part of winning last Sunday.  I seriously doubt Mannion would've done that.  KC made the plays to keep the drives alive, and also coverted on a couple PI calls too.  I'd say he earned that win.  Was he MVP? No, but we could've lost or had a much closer game without him playing well.

Does Brady deserve all the credit for the Pats 6 SB wins?  Maybe not, but I'm not sure if they would've won any of those close games without him.

Quote: @pumpf said:
Those are (according to once source, anyway) Kirk Cousin's record vs. winning teams.  Here's why that is a BS stat:
  • He got credit for Sunday's win... but it won't count, because the Falcons are (as of right now) a "losing" team.  But I think we all know that that team will have an above .500 record by the end of the season.  Will that count towards Cousin's 5-25?  I doubt it.
  • On the other hand, he got credit for Sunday's win... but most back-ups in the league could've been the winning QB on Sunday (because of how well our ground game and defense were working).  He really didn't do anything to "win" the game, but he'll get credit for being the "winning QB".  That's why this is such a BS stat: it's based on the team the QB plays on, NOT the QB's abilities.     
"But I think we all know that that team will have an above .500 record by the end of the season.  Will that count towards Cousin's 5-25?  I doubt it."

If they end above .500 it will absolutely count. His record is 5-25 against teams that end the season above .500.
Not what their record was before or after he played them.

A 84 mill guaranteed, QB should carry a team, not just catch a ride on the bus..

And for those saying it's a team sport yes it is. Or he played on bad teams.
Zims great D doesn't do any better against teams that finish above .500. If you take out the teams that Horse Shoe beat.
Zims D is flat out terrible against above .500 teams.

Bad combo Kirks/Zims bad luck (if you want to call it that), against good teams.

"But Ryan gained 127 of those yards and the 2 TDs in the 4th quarter after being down by 28 points.  Meaningless stat accumulation which masks how bad he actually played through 3 quarters of that game."

Silverjoel your statement about Ryan's stats, reminds me of some QB we all know.

Minnesota was up 28-0 midway thru the 4th, the garbage stats that followed don't show how Minnesota's defense truly dominated. And Zimmer basically shut the offense down and made it one dimensional by running after halftime. Also throw in 3 ridiculous offsides by the defense on 3rd down to give Atlanta 1st downs.

How Cousins plays on the road against division opponents will be telling because that's how the year will go. Green Bay loves their screens under the new coach, Vikes can have a hard time with that.

5-26. Let the excuses continue.