Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A. Richardson in 23: What's the lessons to be learned?
1/5/24:

According to a new report, the Minnesota Vikings were willing to offer a “massive” trade package to land Anthony Richardson in the 2023 NFL draft, but their trade partner had second thoughts after considering Richardson’s fit in Minnesota.

NFL analyst Brett Kollmann, appearing on ESPN’s The Mina Kimes podcast, revealed that not only were the Vikings willing to “sell the farm” for Richardson, but that their trade partner, likely an NFC rival, refused to make the deal due to just how good the Vikings could be with Richardson under center.

“I don’t think people realize how hard the Vikings tried to trade up for Anthony Richardson last year. Like, the haul that they put on the table was massive. They were going to give away the entire farm, all of it. They were going to give everything,” Kollman said on a January 4 episode of The Mina Kimes Show.

“But, it takes two to tango. Their trade partner thought that they were going to be too good, and so they went elsewhere.”

“I don’t think people realize how hard the Vikings tried to trade up for Anthony Richardson last year. Like, the haul that they put on the table was massive. They were going to give away the entire farm, all of it. They were going to give everything.”

“But, it takes two to… 
[/url]

General manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah has shown he’s not afraid to trade even within his division. Considering Kollman’s report, the [url=http://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/]Chicago Bears
 at No. 1 overall pick or the Seattle Seahawks with the No. 5 pick would be potential NFC rivals who backed out of the trade.

While Richardson’s prospects in Minnesota have come in gone for the foreseeable future, Kollman did draw some lines that the Vikings will likely pursue another trade of that magnitude in an attempt to move up in the draft and land a blue-chip quarterback prospect.

Paul Allen said on air the report about Richardson last year were not accurate or at best lacking context. Not a quote but he was basically saying we were giving it all up we’re not true.

Kwesi better than anyone will know the probability of hitting on a big time QB and I don’t seeing them giving up the farm unless KOC is in love with someone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bullazin's post:

For me the learning is obvious:

This regime is not afraid to swing for the fences when they have conviction
It really does take 2 to tango

Who knows if the comp was right or not? This article made it sound like an NFC rival said no thanks at the last minute. That had to be hard for the folks in Eagan.

In 2024 the potential trade partners (the real obvious ones) are
Patriots
Chargers
Cardinals (whom we have some relationship with)

So maybe that element wont be as hard to overcome.

But it still takes 2 to tango...

(04-20-2024, 06:20 PM)Bullazin Wrote: Paul Allen said on air  the report about Richardson  last year were not accurate or at best lacking context. Not a quote but he was basically saying we were giving it all up we’re not true. 

Kwesi better than anyone will know the probability of hitting on a big time QB and I don’t seeing them giving up the farm unless KOC is in love with someone.

Lacked some context. Vikings were interested in moving up for a few of last years QBs but thought they had a more legitimate chance to add Richardson if he fell out of the top 5. They only were able to get up so far coming from 23. But I tend to think KOC has just as much of a choice in the QB as Kwesi. Its likely why they passed on Levis.

Not sure to what degree the truth lies in that story. I think some truth for sure as I heard this rumor last Draft. But the 'two to tango' part is out of their control.

I never believed this story and still don't. KOC just spoke publicly about flaws that can't be fixed causing him to veto certain guys. Imo AR was one of them.

I don't buy the narrative that if you fall in love with your guy you need to do whatever it takes to get him. That assumes that every college QB you fall in love with will become a star QB in the NFL. There is 0 evidence this is true. And I say that for every single talent evaluator on the planet. To assume that a coach and GM who have no track record of drafting HOF QBs have this non-existent gift is just absurd.

I am sure that Shanahan fell in love with Trey Lance; and Shanahan knows as much about QBs as anyone on the Vikings. The Jets' staff fell in love with Zack Wilson. The list of college QBs that experts have fallen in love with who have busted in the NFL is a long one. The 2024 draft will likely add to that list.

(04-21-2024, 10:16 AM)dadevike Wrote: I don't buy the narrative that if you fall in love with your guy you need to do whatever it takes to get him. That assumes that every college QB you fall in love with will become a star QB in the NFL. There is 0 evidence this is true. And I say that for every single talent evaluator on the planet. To assume that a coach and GM who have no track record of drafting HOF QBs have this non-existent gift is just absurd.

I am sure that Shanahan fell in love with Trey Lance; and Shanahan knows as much about QBs as anyone on the Vikings. The Jets' staff fell in love with Zack Wilson. The list of college QBs that experts have fallen in love with who have busted in the NFL is a long one. The 2024 draft will likely add to that list.

Of course. It's a crapshoot. Always has, always will be. And no matter how smart your people are, every team in the NFL sucks at playing it. And three years from now, how these six QBs rank will be entirely different from how consensus sees them now. Guaranteed. There will probably even be a QB we haven't even heard of yet ranking among them. And one or two of these six will be playing in Canada. 

But at some point you gotta take your shot. Study the class, trust your ability to identify the best fit for your offense, determine your risk tolerance, then find a way to go get him. Build in some contingencies and see what happens. What else can you do?
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

Trust your process and evaluators. If you cant trust em? Fire em all.

QB is the most important position in all of pro sports. There is nothing else you can do but try and acquire an elite one. That or stay mired in mediocrity.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post: