Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cancelling $10k of Student Debt
Parents have such a great opportunity to give their kids a great work ethic or not...It's a difficult thing no doubt, toughest thing I've ever had to do is be a parent. 

So many fail really badly and the stakes are ginormous...Sorry, kinda glass 1/2 full this am. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Parents have such a great opportunity to give their kids a great work ethic or not...It's a difficult thing no doubt, toughest thing I've ever had to do is be a parent. 

So many fail really badly and the stakes are ginormous...Sorry, kinda glass 1/2 full this am. 
No shit,  we need these young fuckers out there busting ass and paying taxes to pay for a the dumbass spending and unwarranted tax cuts of our generations crooked ass swamp creatures.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

No shit,  we need these young fuckers out there busting ass and paying taxes to pay for a the dumbass spending and unwarranted tax cuts of our generations crooked ass swamp creatures.
Whoa, whoa, whoa...Save that vitriol for GB. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Most parents I see today just handle all of their kids issues and problems. They talk to their adult kids several times a day, every day. Its a co-dependancy. They don't instill independence and they have no coping skills. A by-product of that is anxiety and depression, fueled by social media's superficiality. They get praised for the simplest things. Parents desperately want to be their kids best friends today. 20 year old girls in college that text and FaceTime their Mommies multiple times every day. Its insanity but all of these parents rationalize because most of the other parents are doing it too. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
I've brought this up before about trades: most kids don't want to do them. Its a nice sound bite on the news about how we should do this and I agree that in principle, yes its pretty good money for a hand-on type profession. But the reality is go see how high school seniors or recent grads have zero interest in it for the most part.

One example: A friend of mine is a utility lineman for a county in Michigan, has been doing it for 20 years. He set up an apprenticeship program that pays recent high school graduates to learn on the job and then after 1.5 years, they are guaranteed a utility lineman job. Its 4 candidates a year for the county/cities. He has to go to at least 3 high schools to get 4 candidates. 2 will quit after getting their first paycheck. The next will quit after 2 months. If he's lucky, he'll get 1 candidate a year to stick with the program. ONE. And not always even one. 

Its not an 'exciting' job, it requires a work ethic and these kids are entitled. It's nuts.
we need to change the culture of entitlements.  why wouldnt kids expect stuff they dont have to earn?  they grow up in a country that talks about corporate hand outs, individual handouts, debt forgiveness, all the programs that were designed as hand ups for those having temporary troubles have become a way of life... why wouldnt kids on the verge of becoming adults expect their share of the free life?
lol, its the parents that are setting the entitlements in the kids, not 'corporate hand outs, etc.'. It starts at home. It has nothing to do with the 'hand up' programs. Kids are entitled because their parents spoil them and don't make them do shit. What does a 17 year old kid know about corporate hand outs? Its not the welfare families, their kids want out of that life. Its the spoiled rotten middle/upper class families that don't let their babies do anything for themselves. They fix all their problems. Its ridiculous.

Jesus, there are some crabby old men on this board, lmao. Trust me I know, I'm one of them.

This above all else.

I see it everywhere on facebook and in the media. Old fuckers like me bitching about the state of kids today, what with their lack of work ethic, video game brains, their need for instant gratification, participation medals, etc, etc. Really? As a parent of 14 year olds, I just don't see that at all. Maybe I live in some parallel universe, but I don't see that with them or any of their friends. I would say that most kids I know are about 300 times smarter and more driven than I either me or any of my friends were at the same age. I can't imagine anyone from my generation having the balls of Greta Thunberg, Malala, David Hogg, Emma Gonzalez. 
And the millennials I work with..holy shit. ALL of them are whip smart and driven. Little bastards. I hate them for it! I'm a pretty smart guy, but they make me feel stupid sometimes. They really do. 
My biggest fear for today's youth is us. I fear they lose hope by listening to us idiots in the older generation who, for whatever reason, are much easier swayed by the most ridiculous propaganda and obvious untruth. Young people see right through that shit. Unlike most of us, they tend to have fully functioning bullshit detectors.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
I've brought this up before about trades: most kids don't want to do them. Its a nice sound bite on the news about how we should do this and I agree that in principle, yes its pretty good money for a hand-on type profession. But the reality is go see how high school seniors or recent grads have zero interest in it for the most part.

One example: A friend of mine is a utility lineman for a county in Michigan, has been doing it for 20 years. He set up an apprenticeship program that pays recent high school graduates to learn on the job and then after 1.5 years, they are guaranteed a utility lineman job. Its 4 candidates a year for the county/cities. He has to go to at least 3 high schools to get 4 candidates. 2 will quit after getting their first paycheck. The next will quit after 2 months. If he's lucky, he'll get 1 candidate a year to stick with the program. ONE. And not always even one. 

Its not an 'exciting' job, it requires a work ethic and these kids are entitled. It's nuts.
we need to change the culture of entitlements.  why wouldnt kids expect stuff they dont have to earn?  they grow up in a country that talks about corporate hand outs, individual handouts, debt forgiveness, all the programs that were designed as hand ups for those having temporary troubles have become a way of life... why wouldnt kids on the verge of becoming adults expect their share of the free life?
lol, its the parents that are setting the entitlements in the kids, not 'corporate hand outs, etc.'. It starts at home. It has nothing to do with the 'hand up' programs. Kids are entitled because their parents spoil them and don't make them do shit. What does a 17 year old kid know about corporate hand outs? Its not the welfare families, their kids want out of that life. Its the spoiled rotten middle/upper class families that don't let their babies do anything for themselves. They fix all their problems. Its ridiculous.

Jesus, there are some crabby old men on this board, lmao. Trust me I know, I'm one of them.

Young people see right through that shit. Unlike most of us, they tend to have fully functioning bullshit detectors.
Because we were raised to be less skeptical of things like the news media. Today's kids are savvy and know the social media medium so well because its how they were raised. They have better bullshit detectors because they've been exposed to a lot of bullshit in their young lives already. But they also have their own issues i.e., higher levels of anxiety and depression. Every generation has their plusses and minuses. 

The most impressive part of millennials for me is they ask 'why'? You have to earn their respect, they don't assume things about people/workers. One thing I'm very proud of is my son's work ethic. I told him when he graduated college that some company was going to be extremely lucky to get him. I knew that to be true and it has been. I think its easy to bag on the millennials but when you see the best part of that generation, it gives you genuine hope for the future.

Hmmmm, I'd like to see the economics of this "stimulus".

If you reduce a loan by $10000, one simply pays off the loan sooner with the same monthly payments.  No spending stimulus.

If one refinances, the monthly payment would decrease but by how much, enough to consider buying a home, different car, or other stimulus?  Doubtful, IMO for many.

Economic projections and congressional debate is needed on the topic, not an executive order.