VikeFans.com
2025 is going to be the year - Printable Version

+- VikeFans.com (https://vikefans.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://vikefans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The Longship (https://vikefans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: 2025 is going to be the year (/showthread.php?tid=19115)

Pages: 1 2

2025 is going to be the year - StickierBuns - 07-26-2024

https://x.com/vikingzfanpage/status/1816530371091267614

VikingzFanPage
@vikingzfanpage
The #Vikings are “going to be very aggressive” in free agency next March,
@DWolfsonKSTP mentioned on @SKORNorth
Minnesota has the 7th most cap space in the 2025 offseason at the moment ($48M per OTC), and are going to try to take advantage of having a QB on a rookie deal."

Hopefully, the start of the window of excellence. If McCarthy hits, it could be a ton of fun.

RE: 2025 is going to be the year - purplefaithful - 07-26-2024

Lets be clear - McCarthy has to hit.

I suspect DL and DB will be big priorities for the Vikings on-going in terms of starters.

RE: 2025 is going to be the year - MaroonBells - 07-26-2024

Yep. 2025 is the year. The first year of what should be a nice little run anyway. It's been what we've been saying for some time. Hopefully a little better injury luck coincides with a crap-ton of cap space, a couple first tier free agents and our hotshot rookie taking over the reins at QB. 

On a cautionary note, Jordan Love sat for two seasons and came out in his 3rd season and looked like hot horseshit for the 1st 8 games. I think JJ's a little better prospect than Love was though, so we'll see.

RE: 2025 is going to be the year - Montana Tom - 07-26-2024

(07-26-2024, 10:55 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Yep. 2025 is the year. The first year of what should be a nice little run anyway. It's been what we've been saying for some time. Hopefully a little better injury luck coincides with a crap-ton of cap space, a couple first tier free agents and our hotshot rookie taking over the reins at QB. 

On a cautionary note, Jordan Love sat for two seasons and came out in his 3rd season and looked like hot horseshit for the 1st 8 games. I think JJ's a little better prospect than Love was though, so we'll see.

I do agree that JJM is a significantly better prospect than Jordan Love.
In the first half of last season, I thought "yippee skippee, looks like the Packers are going to sink on the Love boat".  Boy did he prove me wrong the rest of the season!

Sure would like Darnold to make some naysayers wrong about this season, though.

RE: 2025 is going to be the year - medaille - 07-26-2024

While I do agree that is likely the plan. You don’t have to push your chips in 2025. If it were me, I would start pushing my chips in when my QB play warranted it. I would try to keep my offense stocked, and once I got good QB play, then start pushing my chips in. If you get CJ Stroud like play, push your chips in. If you’re getting Bryce Young like play, surround him with talent on offense, but don’t bother wasting your cap dollars on defense when you don’t have an offense that can get you there.

RE: 2025 is going to be the year - StickierBuns - 07-26-2024

(07-26-2024, 01:25 PM)medaille Wrote: While I do agree that is likely the plan.  You don’t have to push your chips in 2025.  If it were me, I would start pushing my chips in when my QB play warranted it.  I would try to keep my offense stocked, and once I got good QB play, then start pushing my chips in.  If you get CJ Stroud like play, push your chips in.  If you’re getting Bryce Young like play, surround him with talent on offense, but don’t bother wasting your cap dollars on defense when you don’t have an offense that can get you there.

Of course yeah you push your chips in on 2025. its the window. Waiting for QB play to warrant it?? Really? You might wait forever. You plan on the come, that's what the NFL is with QBs. There's little luxury of waiting. That's fandom. KOC has the gameplay right, he'll wait for JMM. But the plan is 2025.

RE: 2025 is going to be the year - Vikergirl - 07-28-2024

That's the luxury of the situation. I feel really relaxed about this season

RE: 2025 is going to be the year - MaroonBells - 07-29-2024

(07-26-2024, 02:34 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: Of course yeah you push your chips in on 2025. its the window. Waiting for QB play to warrant it?? Really? You might wait forever. You plan on the come, that's what the NFL is with QBs. There's little luxury of waiting. That's fandom. KOC has the gameplay right, he'll wait for JMM. But the plan is 2025.

Agree. Plus, you don't always know when the chips are available to push in. You take them when you see them. 

We tried to sign Christian Wilkins this off season, likely not as much because we thought he'd push us over the top in '24, but because he'd be a big part of our run in '25. An elite-level player at a position of need was available. That's not always the case. 

For example, two free agent DTs I thought we could pursue next year, Kenny Clark and Dexter Lawrence, signed extensions this spring. The free agent cupboard looks pretty bare for DTs in '25. Just makes the Wilkins miss sting a little more.

RE: 2025 is going to be the year - medaille - 07-29-2024

Pushing your chips in when you have a shitty QB is dumb and it makes it infinitely harder once you get competent QB play because now you’re playing with a messed up cap situation. I really like the Vikings strategy up until now. Surround your QB with enough talent to allow the QB to succeed and make their life easy. Limp by on defense. Cost-effective options on relatively short deals. Don’t break the bank on a guy where you spend $25M/year on a superstar defender and by the time you have a QB, they’re worn out. That's just burning money. I kind of get your perspective if you live in this thought bubble of drafting one QB, going all in on that QB for a decade, and then blowing the whole thing up. But that’s not where I am. I’m much more of a spend money on offense to not limit your QB, find your QB as quickly as possible even if it means drafting several QBs in a short period of time, then going all in once you find that QB. Sure if you can get a sweet deal on a guy where they’re going to be around for years at a cheap price, do that, but you’re not winning a SB with the Darnold everyone has seen up until now, and there’s probably like a 50% chance of JJM busting even though we all think he’ll be great, but he’s probably not winning a SB year one of starting, so it’s not like the urgency is that great on spending cap dollars as fast as possible.

RE: 2025 is going to be the year - Knucklehead - 07-29-2024

(07-29-2024, 08:23 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Agree. Plus, you don't always know when the chips are available to push in. You take them when you see them. 

We tried to sign Christian Wilkins this off season, likely not as much because we thought he'd push us over the top in '24, but because he'd be a big part of our run in '25. An elite-level player at a position of need was available. That's not always the case. 

For example, two free agent DTs I thought we could pursue next year, Kenny Clark and Dexter Lawrence, signed extensions this spring. The free agent cupboard looks pretty bare for DTs in '25. Just makes the Wilkins miss sting a little more.

The FA DT cupboard may look bare but the DTs available in the 2025 draft look very promising with as many as 5 being first round prospects as of today.