VikeFans.com
First-round picks on the roster - Printable Version

+- VikeFans.com (https://vikefans.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://vikefans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The Longship (https://vikefans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: First-round picks on the roster (/showthread.php?tid=19107)

First-round picks on the roster - Montana Tom - 07-24-2024

Let me start out and say that a first-rounder is no guarantee of success in the NFL.
It is, however, an indication of judged talent at some point (by somebody).

Here is who I have:

Darnold QB
JJM QB
Jefferson WR
Hockenson TE
Darrisaw LT
Addison WR
Bradbury C
Smith S
Cine S (see ya)
Turner LB/Edge

Who am I missing?
It's also interesting to see what #1 picks in the last ten years (an average/above average career for a top NFL player) have been total whiffs.

RE: First-round picks on the roster - MaroonBells - 07-24-2024

Viking picks Jefferson, Darrisaw and Addison was a nice little run. If that continues with McCarthy and Turner, I think we'll all be very happy with what this team is able to do in the next two or three seasons.

RE: First-round picks on the roster - FLVike - 07-24-2024

I see you have S. Smith. Did you mean Harrison Smith? If not, he is a first round pick.
Never mind, I'm delusional at the moment.

RE: First-round picks on the roster - purplefaithful - 07-24-2024

I don't know if there is a case to be made for the Vikings #1 picks vs league avg or not?

As a franchise, they have been middling more than I would care for in terms of regular season w/l & post-season record. 

But I remain hopeful (faithful?) with the infusion of young talent and am thoroughly enjoying watching the Cee Dee Lamb, Ayuk, Trent Williams saga's play out. Maybe Prescott will join this list too.

RE: First-round picks on the roster - MaroonBells - 07-24-2024

(07-24-2024, 03:59 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I don't know if there is a case to be made for the Vikings #1 picks vs league avg or not?

As a franchise, they have been middling more than I would care for in terms of regular season w/l & post-season record. 

But I remain hopeful (faithful?) with the infusion of young talent and am thoroughly enjoying watching the Cee Dee Lamb, Ayuk, Trent Williams saga's play out. Maybe Prescott will join this list too.

There's a case. Getting the kind of return we did on Jefferson, Darrisaw and Addison in three out of four drafts is pretty unusual.

Cases in point:
The year before we drafted Jefferson at pick 22, the Eagles drafted Andre Dillard at 22. He's been an epic bust and is already on his 3rd team. The year before we drafted Darrisaw at 23, the Chargers drafted Kenneth Murray at pick 23. He's also been an epic bust who is no longer on the team. Boltbeat.com said this: "there is not a single player on the Chargers roster that is disliked by fans more than Kenneth Murray." The year before we drafted Lewis Cine at 32, the Bucs drafted Joe Tryon at pick 32. The Bucs declined to pick up this 5th year option. One Buc fan said this: "He's a bust. He will only be only be on the roster as long as necessary for the front office to save face." The year before we drafted Jordan Addison at 23, the Bills drafted Kaiir Elam at pick 23. He's been a frequent healthy scratch. SI said "Elam has been nothing short of a disaster for the Bills."

So while the Cine pick sucks, in context with the rest of the NFL, it's not really that unusual.

RE: First-round picks on the roster - Montana Tom - 07-24-2024

(07-24-2024, 03:51 PM)FLVike Wrote: I see you have S. Smith. Did you mean Harrison Smith? If not, he is a first round pick.
Never mind, I'm delusional at the moment.

I meant Smith (Safety)
I only used last names.  You are forgiven for being delusional this afternoon...it's been a long couple of months

Wait...did I forget N'Keal Harry? Wasn't he a (failed) first-rounder?

RE: First-round picks on the roster - RS_Express - 07-25-2024

(07-24-2024, 08:43 PM)Montana Tom Wrote: I meant Smith (Safety)
I only used last names.  You are forgiven for being delusional this afternoon...it's been a long couple of months

Wait...did I forget N'Keal Harry? Wasn't he a (failed) first-rounder?

And Tillery on the DL is another flopped 1st.