VikeFans.com
Harrison Butker - Printable Version

+- VikeFans.com (https://vikefans.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://vikefans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Sensitive Topics (https://vikefans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Harrison Butker (/showthread.php?tid=18937)

Pages: 1 2

Harrison Butker - Still Hurtn - 05-17-2024

Kicked (pun) a hornets nest.

A Catholic giving a commencement speech to other Catholics creates controversy. People are trying to get him kicked off (pun) the team. Local City officials Doxxed Butker for his world view. World has gone bat chit crazy.

RE: Harrison Butker - purplefaithful - 05-17-2024

Suggest we keep this off the football only board?

Maybe the mods can combine with the other Butker/Rice/Chiefs thread on sensitive topics board Smile

RE: Harrison Butker - StickierBuns - 05-17-2024

Regardless of what you think about what he said, the overreaction today is ridiculous. The media stirs the hornet's nest as always. Social media cancel culture mafia so ready to be outraged. I don't engage.

What happened to just hearing what he said.....disagreeing and saying 'what a dipshit' to yourself.....and moving on with your life? Its not directed at you and it isn't personal, its his opinion. Ignore things you don't agree with. And there's also people that agree with it. Why should he be cut from the team? Quit being so fucking outraged at everything, people. Someone being offended or outraged does not mean its justified.

RE: Harrison Butker - AGRforever - 05-17-2024

Oh no!! A kicker said things that I disagree with.

Meanwhile a rapist plays QB in Ohio.

RE: Harrison Butker - dadevike - 05-17-2024

(05-17-2024, 09:51 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Regardless of what you think about what he said, the overreaction today is ridiculous. The media stirs the hornet's nest as always. Social media cancel culture mafia so ready to be outraged. I don't engage.

What happened to just hearing what he said.....disagreeing and saying 'what a dipshit' to yourself.....and moving on with your life? Its not directed at you and it isn't personal, its his opinion. Ignore things you don't agree with. And there's also people that agree with it. Why should he be cut from the team? Quit being so fucking outraged at everything, people. Someone being offended or outraged does not mean its justified.

Is this so for all opinions - since all opinions are just opinions? 

At what point does it become personal? Does he have to refer to a specific person - so any opinions about groups of people is, by definition, not personal? 

What if he had certain opinions about African Americans, or Jews, or Muslins, or Hispanics? They would all be just his opinions and they would not be personal. 

Butker, of course, is known primarily for being a player on the KC Chiefs. I suspect it is unlikely he would have been invited to speak at a graduation ceremony if he were not a well known athlete. It is one thing for him to have his opinions, it is another to make them public.  It is inevitable that he is seen as, to some extent, representing the Chiefs. Now the Chiefs cannot claim ignorance of their kickers' opinions of the role of women. But he could just as easily have opinions about other groups of people (see above). 

Recall the Vikings' special teams coach who shared his opinion that gays should be put on an island and the island should be nuked. Just an opinion. He never said he was going to do that. And it was not personal. But the Vikings were not comfortable with a coach who voiced such an opinion even though, as far as we knew, none of the Vikings nor their spouses were gay.

(05-17-2024, 10:40 AM)dadevike Wrote: Is this so for all opinions - since all opinions are just opinions? 

At what point does it become personal? Does he have to refer to a specific person - so any opinions about groups of people is, by definition, not personal? 

What if he had certain opinions about African Americans, or Jews, or Muslins, or Hispanics? They would all be just his opinions and they would not be personal. 

Butker, of course, is known primarily for being a player on the KC Chiefs. I suspect it is unlikely he would have been invited to speak at a graduation ceremony if he were not a well known athlete. It is one thing for him to have his opinions, it is another to make them public.  It is inevitable that he is seen as, to some extent, representing the Chiefs. Now the Chiefs cannot claim ignorance of their kickers' opinions of the role of women. But he could just as easily have opinions about other groups of people (see above). 

Recall the Vikings' special teams coach who shared his opinion that gays should be put on an island and the island should be nuked. Just an opinion. He never said he was going to do that. And it was not personal. But the Vikings were not comfortable with a coach who voiced such an opinion even though, as far as we knew, none of the Vikings nor their spouses were gay.

Oh please. It isn't hate speech. He's speaking to Catholics, who many still believe what he said. He should lose his kicking job over it? Ridiculousness. Typical strawman argument here....what if he said this? What if he said that? 

I say all of this not agreeing with one word out of his mouth. People make things personal and are outraged over everything today. See Ricky Gervais:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/27ACpn779PY?app=desktop

RE: Harrison Butker - MaroonBells - 05-17-2024

(05-17-2024, 09:43 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Suggest we keep this off the football only board?

Maybe the mods can combine with the other Butker/Rice/Chiefs thread on sensitive topics board Smile

There's a sensitive topics board?

RE: Harrison Butker - dadevike - 05-17-2024

(05-17-2024, 11:12 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Oh please. It isn't hate speech. He's speaking to Catholics, who many still believe what he said. He should lose his kicking job over it? Ridiculousness. Typical strawman argument here....what if he said this? What if he said that? 

I say all of this not agreeing with one word out of his mouth. People make things personal and are outraged over everything today. See Ricky Gervais:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/27ACpn779PY?app=deskt

So you get to decide for everyone what is hate speech? Oh please. And hate speech - as you see it - is where we allowed to draw the line? If it does not pass your hate speech test, as ill-defined as it is, nobody gets to voice their displeasure, they just need to shut up and move on? Sorry, but I'm not ready to make you the arbiter of what people can respond to and how they can respond. We have laws for that. 

And I'm a big fan of Ricky Gervais. I also understand he is a comedian. Context matters.

(05-17-2024, 12:07 PM)dadevike Wrote: So you get to decide for everyone what is hate speech? Oh please. And hate speech - as you see it - is where we allowed to draw the line? If it does not pass your hate speech test, as ill-defined as it is, nobody gets to voice their displeasure, they just need to shut up and move on? Sorry, but I'm not ready to make you the arbiter of what people can respond to and how they can respond. We have laws for that. 

And I'm a big fan of Ricky Gervais. I also understand he is a comedian. Context matters.

He's on a talk show talking about this very subject.....which he does all the time. The context is life.

(05-17-2024, 12:20 PM)StickierBuns Wrote: He's on a talk show talking about this very subject.....which he does all the time. The context is life.

https://x.com/historyinmemes/status/1791503947494227997

RE: Harrison Butker - JimmyinSD - 05-17-2024

(05-17-2024, 09:43 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Suggest we keep this off the football only board?

its moved, combining threads is a mess so we will just let one be the active thread and the other will fall away.