VikeFans.com
OT: Settle a question: wine or beer during the week? - Printable Version

+- VikeFans.com (https://vikefans.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://vikefans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The Longship (https://vikefans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: OT: Settle a question: wine or beer during the week? (/showthread.php?tid=18916)

OT: Settle a question: wine or beer during the week? - StickierBuns - 05-09-2024

For those that drink: how often during the week do you enjoy a beer, whiskey or a glass of wine? Some of our friends have the rule they don't start drinking until Thursday night (or try not to, lol). Others have a glass of wine every night during the week. Others don't start until Friday after work. There's 'Sober January' and things like that to give people a break, but what do you do? 

Here's my wife and I's experience: we attempt to not start drinking until Thursday after work....not always successful, but its our loose rule. Last week, for example, we ended up having a glass of wine every day but Monday, lol. That's not normal, but it was a busy week. No judgment from me at all, just curious as to what others do. Most of our friends are day drinkers, so we'll drink during the day Saturday and Sunday, either out and about or at someone's pool. I'm 57 years old and day drinking works WAY better for me than staying up late and drinking.

RE: OT: Settle a question: wine or beer during the week? - Montana Tom - 05-09-2024

I'm a coffee guy in the morning and early afternoon, any day of the week. Day drinking rarely works for me as it means really early to bed (or nap), even if on a weekend or vacation. However, I don't have days of the week designated for not drinking nor drinking. I'm in the beer ingredients business, and well, it seems that qualitative product sampling is part of my life :-)

However, I don't just drink beer. I prefer a nice red wine sometimes with a nice dinner. And any hard liquor is infrequent for me. Granted, Cinco de Mayo is an occasion for Margaritas, but I am not a regular tequila drinker. A warm summer evening is an occasion for "big kids kool-aid" as I call a Gin & Tonic. Rarely do I indulge during cold seasons however. I occasionally like a whiskey sour, and even more rare is a classic Old Fashioned (with those great Amarena cherries...I hate the sweetness of Maraschino cherries), but for a special occasion I'm in (and I have one of those tennis-ball size round ice-cube molds, which is fun).

I just don't let my life be ruled by any of it...with the exception probably being coffee. Gotta have that.

RE: OT: Settle a question: wine or beer during the week? - FLVike - 05-09-2024

I prefer draft beer and I don't have that at home, bottled beer is pasteurized, so I usually sip bourbon. I do like old fashions but sometimes I get lazy after work. I do like whiskey sours, bourbon & coke, and occasionally rum & coke. My wife likes wine and occasionally coconut rum with coke. In the summertime, which is already here, I like margaritas, they are easy to make.

RE: OT: Settle a question: wine or beer during the week? - Zanary - 05-09-2024

...after consideration, I find that I have no set pattern.

I lean toward wine, nowadays, but I also enjoy sipping a good bourbon/Scotch. I've always enjoyed beer more in social situations, i.e. sports bars yelling at Vikings games.

RE: OT: Settle a question: wine or beer during the week? - 1VikesFan - 05-09-2024

Beer for sure, never been a wine fan. However I will partake in an occasional scotch during the week.

RE: OT: Settle a question: wine or beer during the week? - MaroonBells - 05-10-2024

My favorite is tequila, which is why I no longer drink it. Often. Depends on the occasion. Formal dinner, Scotch or wine. Sporting event, beer. If there's sand nearby, Tequila. Tend to prefer Palomas over Margs tho. 

Once I sign out for the day, I'll have a glass of wine or two while I make dinner, crank up the music and beat my kids. I rarely have beer in the house anymore. Just don't like it as much as I used to. It's perfect at Coors Field or USB tho. 

LOVE day drinking. Nothing like sitting in a bar or on a patio with some friends and getting home by 6 or 7. That's a beautiful thing.

RE: OT: Settle a question: wine or beer during the week? - StickierBuns - 05-10-2024

(05-10-2024, 06:50 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: LOVE day drinking. Nothing like sitting in a bar or on a patio with some friends and getting home by 6 or 7. That's a beautiful thing.

Yes sir. Nothing like it being 1:00 pm on a Saturday, sitting with friends outside at a restaurant in downtown Boca and letting the drinks flow on a leisurely, beautiful SoFlo early afternoon. The conversation keeps getting better (along with the volume) the more alcohol that gets consumed, lol. Then walk home, hit the pool and crank the music. Its pretty much a staple from now until late October. 

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=6c09b9527svbyusu7tw1vo3fa8i...w.gif&ct=g]

RE: OT: Settle a question: wine or beer during the week? - JimmyinSD - 05-10-2024

day drinking gets a bad rap... its really the best policy as long as you can shut it down around supper time and dont get too fouled up to where your next day is shot in the ass by a monster hangover.

mostly mixed drinks for me, wine is gross, beer makes me feel even more bloated ( as if thats even possible anymore )