Hovan arrested

MaroonBellsMaroonBells Posts: 15,030King

When in doubt tell the truth - Mark Twain

Comments

• StickyBunStickyBun Posts: 15,521King
    edited December 2020
    Yikes. Didn't he always seem like kind of a meathead? Irresponsible as hell and lucky he didn't hurt or kill someone in that state. 

More grossness as it pertains to Hovan: https://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/former-buc-chris-hovan-ordered-to-stay-away-from-home-family-in-domestic-violence-case-20181228/
    Post edited by StickyBun on
  • Kmerry82Kmerry82 Posts: 63Thrall
    The most interesting part of that is Cognac King called Chris Hovan a viking a great.  He was an above average player for a couple years.  Far from a Viking great. No pro bowls- 1 2nd team all pro.  Cognac has either a selective memory or a really low threshold for greatness, similarly to everyone getting a participation award.  
    comet52RS Express
  • Kmerry82Kmerry82 Posts: 63Thrall
    As a note wouldn't be surprised if there is some CTE that is possibly an extenuating circumstance.  Not to minimize the actions, but we likely have to take it into account.  Always come back to Tyler Sash, tough nosed player similar to Hovan, had significant CTE and passed away.  
    BigAl99purplefaithful
  • minny65minny65 Posts: 3,446Jarl
    @Kmerry82 said:
    The most interesting part of that is Cognac King called Chris Hovan a viking a great.  He was an above average player for a couple years.  Far from a Viking great. No pro bowls- 1 2nd team all pro.  Cognac has either a selective memory or a really low threshold for greatness, similarly to everyone getting a participation award.  
    I thought he was being facetious?  
  • KentisKentis Posts: 4,579Jarl
    edited December 2020
    Almost 4 times the legal limit? That boy was pickled...  :s 
    Post edited by Kentis on

• purplefaithfulpurplefaithful Posts: 17,164King
    Never was a big Hovan fan...

That said, hope he can get his s hit  together. Theoretically, he's got lots of life left to live. 
    Kentis
    The 4 stages of a Viking Fans Season; Hope during the offseason, Increased hope during the season, Dagger your hopes in the postseason, Rinse & Repeat...
  • MaroonBellsMaroonBells Posts: 15,030King
    Never was a big Hovan fan...
    Yeah, me either. He was one of the "meh" picks. Played a lot of years. Definitely not a bust, probably not even a miss, but in the 1st round, you're hoping for more than what we got. 

And in case anyone still has doubts about how well this team has been drafting lately, go look at the D-linemen we drafted high between '95 and '01. Here, I'll help: http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/vikings

purplefaithful

• Jor-ElJor-El Posts: 2,362Jarl
    Not a big fan of Stalin "Man of Steel" Colinet, Maroon??  ;)
  • MaroonBellsMaroonBells Posts: 15,030King
    edited December 2020
    @Jor-El said:
    Not a big fan of Stalin "Man of Steel" Colinet, Maroon??  ;)
    At least Colinet was only a 3rd rounder. I'm more talking about the series of 1st and 2nd round DL busts this team pulled out of their asses from '95 to '01: Derrick Alexander, Duane Clemons, James Manley, Kailee Wong, Dimitrius Underwood, Michael Boireau, Fred Robbins, Chris Hovan, Willie Howard. In 7 drafts the Vikings managed to draft 9 defensive linemen in either the 1st or 2nd round. 8 were busts. The other was just arrested. 

Think about how this team would've done with Moss ('98) and Culpepper ('99) had we had simply hit on half of these key defensive picks? On 2nd thought, don't think about that. 

Post edited by MaroonBells on

• jargomcfargojargomcfargo Posts: 1,491Jarl
    My memory of Hovan is a player who showed some potential early on, but wasted it with a lack of effort in his last couple years as a Viking.
    Looks like he needs some help. Hope he gets it before it's too late.
  • pattersaurpattersaur Posts: 2,647Jarl
    For some reason I always had a soft spot for Hovan. He was a character for sure, and I got a kick out of him. He used to post on Twitter more, and it would be pics of him with his son. Hopefully he gets his act together because this is sad. 
  • TyrTyr Posts: 753Karl
    I'll second the yikes. Hopefully, he can get his life on track, but it sounds like he's had issues with drinking for a while (e.g. 2015 DUI). I thought he was a decent player. He was quick off the snap and could create pressure up the middle, but could not turn that pressure into a ton of sacks like Randle did.