Jump to content

* * * * *

VikeFans Interview with #9 Tommy Kramer (Video and Written)

Video Interview of Tommy Kramer (Exclusively on VikeFans.com)

Written Article for Tommy Kramer:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

24 Comments

I am over in London this week, but hope you guys enjoy the interview.  Tommy is a fun-loving guy who you know was popular in the locker room.   If you catch the video interview, you will see, he finds a lot funny (and some things maddening) in life!

He even calls plays and audibles for you in the interview, so it is like you are in the huddle with an NFL quarterback.  Pretty cool!

Oh boy this is going to be a good one..... #9 Thanks for taking the time to do this.... I am going to post more after I get through the whole interview (looks to be a dandy) but wanted to post my appreciation for you to have taken the time to connect with the fans that loved watching you play. It means a lot to us!

• greediron likes this
Photo
SDCAVIKESFAN
Aug 13 2014 08:28 AM

Thank you so much for joining us here Tommy, loved your insight and agree with your assesment of Ponder.  PP was another great interview you conducted there.

I loved Two-Minute Tommy. His viewpoint on the h.Walker trade was interesting. I know the fans were angry about it. I don't think I'd ever heard what the players thought.

Same here, will listen to it later, but wanted to say I appreciate you taking the time.  You were just finishing your career when I started listening to the games so I didn't get to witness much, but it was what got me started as a Viking addict.

One of my all time favorites. Even though I make jokes about the party boy ways, can't begrudge it since he got it done on the field.  Loved the interview, thank you!!

• SmokedPears likes this
Photo
HappyViking
Aug 13 2014 02:11 PM

Great interview, Tom!  TK was an absolute favorite of mine after being at that great comeback game as a rookie in '77.

Great job, and thanks Tommy!

The one thing you could tell with Kramer was he loved his offensive teammates. He had nothing but praise for all of them. But, on Rick Danmeier, I think Tommy wished he was allowed to kick some extra points in that 1980 season!

Wow, that was fun.  Amazing to listen to him recall the plays, the play call, and all that after all these years.  Obviously he had a great football mind, making up a play to beat the 49ers and then to the Hail Mary call.

The story with Schnelker sending in the same play 5 times was hilarious too.  Thanks Tommy.

• SmokedPears likes this

That was a good read.  Interesting, since he was before my time and I never really got to see him play.  I'm sure I saw some games, but it was when I was just a kid and didn't know players much, and my parents just happened to be watching the Vikings play.

6 TDs by the opening drive of the 3rd quarter.  That would be fun to watch, especially against the Fudge-Packers!  I saw Big Ben throw 5 TDs in the first half against the Ravens once, and that was outstanding and just incredible to watch, so it sounds like Kramer did the exact same thing, plus another one in the 2nd half.  Wish I'd have seen that.  That 9ers game as a rookie sounds great too.  Vikes have never had a QB I liked for more than a year since I've been old enough to really watch, so I regret he wasn't the guy the last 10-15 years instead of before I was born and until around 11 years old lol.

The Tarkenton (mom's favorite player) comment was funny.

Thanks a lot Tommy for taking the time to share so much with us. It's greatly appreciated.

Tom ~ Another great interview!

Thank you for taking the time to talk to us.

That comeback game vs the 49er's made me believe that my behavior somehow tied to the Vikings winning or losing.  The entire first half I ignored my homework that my Mom was on me about doing and at halftime I left the living room and started doing my homework at the dining room table.  I saw every TD on replay.  Because my parents said the Vikings were only playing well because I was being responsible and doing my homework.  If they let me watch the Vikings would lose....  Hey I was 10 what did I know.  :P

I completely agree with your "Never give up until the game is over" statement.

That AC and Manning story is some funny stuff!  Hahahaha!

A very enjoyable interview... Thanks again.

• greediron and SmokedPears like this

Thank you for taking the time to talk to us.

I completely agree with your "Never give up until the game is over" statement.

That AC and Manning story is some funny stuff!  Hahahaha!

A very enjoyable interview... Thanks again.

that had me laughing for sure.

Photo
SmokedPears
Aug 14 2014 04:26 PM

TFK - Tommy Freaking Kramer.

Can't wait to get to this but still can't...

Thank you so much Tommy for such an enjoyable interview. I loved hearing your memories from your playing days. Thanks for the laughs as well. That Schnelker story was hilarious. I totally agree with you on the Walker trade. Your love for the game, teammates, coaches is very evident. Truly appreciate your contribution to my favorite team.
Photo
IDVikingfan
Aug 14 2014 10:04 PM

Nice interview!  Thanks!

Photo
The Invisible Fan
Aug 15 2014 06:17 AM

great interview Tommy!!

I would proudly raise a horn of mead

and toast your good health and Viking prowess!

horn.jpg

Photo
SmokedPears
Aug 15 2014 08:02 AM

I still get chills from watching the end of that Cleveland game. How does that play not show up more often in highlights?

Excellent interview Tom and Tommy!  Enjoyed every second of It.  Thanks for sharing the memories

They don't make 'em like 2-minute Tommy Kramer anymore. Seems like a great guy who just kicked ass in his playing days. Thanks for sharing your time and your memories, Tommy. Hope to see more of you around these parts more often.

Photo
Montana Tom
Aug 16 2014 12:05 PM

I finally had a chance to look at this (been a hectic week).  Great interview, fun stories and interesting insight.  I found his perspective at the end about Christian Ponder very, very interesting.

Loved this interview!  The first Viking I really recognized, the guy that sealed my lifelong fandom!

Tommy's career ended just as I was becoming a fan. Missed out on some of those miraculous comebacks but it sure was enjoyable hearing him recall those moments.

I'm with you, Tommy. That Herschel Walker trade... come on man!!! I still shake my head over it...

Thanks for another great interview Tom and a big thanks to Tommy Kramer for taking the time to relive some great Vikings memories from his playing days!
Photo
4EverPurple
Aug 17 2014 01:05 PM

Thanks for the memories Tommy.  And he is right to still be pissed at the Clint Didier catch. The replays clearly showed the ball hitting the ground as he tried to cradle it…I remember having a bad week about that because ESPN wouldn't make an issue about it, and kind of glossed it over. Good or bad…all the memories of the 80's Vikings are some of my fondest...