Our new forums are now active and these forums will remain online to serve as an archive.

Unfortunately we were unable to import everyone's profiles however, registration is very simple and can be done at: www.vikefans.com/alt-register/

From there on the nav bar click on the Interact menu button and check into the new forums.

If you need assistance with registering, please email us at [email protected]

Please update your bookmarks for the following: http://vikefans.com/forums/the-longship/

Photo

Rhett Ellison's dad on Vike's "toxic leadership"

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   JR44

JR44

Berserker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

• 2016 Brad Johnson NCAA Bracket Champ

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:44 PM

The year before there was something special about the team.  They played with a special kind of fire and you could tell there was a closeness on the team.  They played an excellent game against Seattle and only lost because of a fluke kick and you had the sense it made them that much hungrier and determined for the next season, which reflected with most of the analysts who had them projected as a Super Bowl contender.  

Everyone wants to blame the OL for last season, but what was so different last year and the year before?  Clemmings, Fusco and Berger played most every game both seasons.  Last year you lost Kalil who played awful the year before and you gained Boone.  In both seasons, our QB had pressure on most plays.

I think Ellison's dad is right on, there did not seem to be any kind of leadership last year.   I thought our best team game was the first game.  The team really seemed to really rally behind Hill.  After that, we rode the emotion of the new stadium, however it only took us so far.   Forcing out Norv for Shurmur totally broke the trust of the players with Zimmer.  The season was over at that point.  It was odd to see a team that played with so much enthusiasm and passion the season before, play with absolutely no fire.  They came out flat every game and stayed that way.  You kept thinking they would wake up, but they just sleep walked through the season.  I don't see things getting any better, in fact, I think it will get much worse. 

• njvike likes this

#42 OFFLINE   jargomcfargo Re: Rhett Ellison's dad on Vike's "toxic leadership"

jargomcfargo

Northman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

He's right about one thing. Something happened during the bye week. The OC quit a 5-0 team that looked like possibly the best team in the NFL. And it was all down hill after that. There was more to it than injuries alone. Especially toward the end of the season when the defense couldn't stop anyone.

We will never know the truth unless Norv talks.

Damn, I've become a conspiracy theorist! Didn't see that coming!

#43 OFFLINE   Bolstad79 Re: Rhett Ellison's dad on Vike's "toxic leadership"

Bolstad79

Berserker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationMontevideo

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:07 PM

Didn't the defense or special teams score in almost all 5 of those beginning games to start the season?

And the offense was it much better the year before, the line has been bad for awhile.

The year before there was something special about the team. They played with a special kind of fire and you could tell there was a closeness on the team. They played an excellent game against Seattle and only lost because of a fluke kick and you had the sense it made them that much hungrier and determined for the next season, which reflected with most of the analysts who had them projected as a Super Bowl contender.

Everyone wants to blame the OL for last season, but what was so different last year and the year before? Clemmings, Fusco and Berger played most every game both seasons. Last year you lost Kalil who played awful the year before and you gained Boone. In both seasons, our QB had pressure on most plays.

I think Ellison's dad is right on, there did not seem to be any kind of leadership last year. I thought our best team game was the first game. The team really seemed to really rally behind Hill. After that, we rode the emotion of the new stadium, however it only took us so far. Forcing out Norv for Shurmur totally broke the trust of the players with Zimmer. The season was over at that point. It was odd to see a team that played with so much enthusiasm and passion the season before, play with absolutely no fire. They came out flat every game and stayed that way. You kept thinking they would wake up, but they just sleep walked through the season. I don't see things getting any better, in fact, I think it will get much worse.

#44 OFFLINE   greediron Re: Rhett Ellison's dad on Vike's "toxic leadership"

greediron

To a better 2017

• Moderators
  • 15,160 posts
  • Locationlooking forward to Valhalla

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

Maybe they didn't care if they retained them? I mean look at who has left so far. Outside of maybe Munnerlyn, who should they have paid to keep? 

yep.  Another player parent wanting to be part of the equation.  It isn't that hard to say "no comment" or just stay out of it when you know the media is looking for juicy tidbits.  It just makes the player look bad.

#45 OFFLINE   greediron Re: Rhett Ellison's dad on Vike's "toxic leadership"

greediron

To a better 2017

• Moderators
  • 15,160 posts
  • Locationlooking forward to Valhalla

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

His son left, apparently without a competitive offer from the Vikings. Obviously, it could be sour grapes...

That said, some people here sure pulled together a firing squad to shoot the messenger ASAP. Ellison, Tomasson, all defamed within a few posts on this thread. A lot of people have asked why certain FAs (especially Alshon Jeffrey and Terrelle Pryor) snubbed the Vikings. Here's the father of a player - himself a former NFL player - suggesting a reason. It might have some validity.

Zimmer is beloved by many fans, but the bottom line is, he is a first time NFL HC. Most first-time head coaches, be they Don Shula or Bill Belichek, fail. Odds are against Zimmer, at least here - he's more likely to win a Super Bowl in Chicago or elsewhere in 5 years on his second try. Sure, he might improve himself and win here, but does anyone doubt he has made mistakes on his first head coaching job?

Firing squad?  Lol.  Tomasson is a continual punching bag, but that is on him, not anyone here. 

As to the free agents signing elsewhere.  Who even imagined us going for Jeffrey until it was reported here?  Players get more money and sign elsewhere.  It happens.  Ellison was a one trick pony and with us moving away from the ground and pound, that pony had very limited value.  So why bother making an offer to a guy that doesn't fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users